Ezzard charles vs Roy jones jr.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by leverage, Apr 16, 2012.

1. leverage

leverage Active Member Full Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Who would win and why?

walker smith likes this.
  2. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Roy jones.

Too quick and athletic to be beaten by anything other than a 1 punch ko at lhw.

walker smith likes this.
  3. KOTF

KOTF Bingooo Full Member

Jun 2, 2009
    What about at 190 lbs?

4. Sister Sledge

Sister Sledge Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    People who keep saying Jones would beat the best LH's of all time are seriously underestimating the abilities of the old-time fighters. Jones looks great against guys he can beat. He would look so special when he fights guys with the ability of a Charles, or Harold Johnso, Moore, etc. Charles outclasses Jones, then knocks him out.

5. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Meh, I think you're seriously underestimating the abilities of jones.

Guru88 likes this.
  6. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Not as confident in jones' ability that high in weight.

7. Vic-JofreBRASIL

Vic-JofreBRASIL having fun Full Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Ezzard is greater.......but I would bet my money on Roy here......

8. Danmann

Danmann Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Ezzard Charles had 4 fights with Archie Moore. Roy Jones might last 4 rounds with Archie Moore.

Why do some people think fighters today are somehow superior athletically?

9. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    I lean towards Charles.

Tough fight. A classy fight here.

Roy Jones with his lightening speed and great footwork.

Ezzard Charles was also a master boxer himself.

Charles had height and was a very precise straight puncher. He could also had power at lightheavy. His jab and clever counters inbetween Jones one or two shots.

Remember Roy wasnt quite the force of nature at `75 that he was at `60 and `68. He didnt put his shot together the same. He was more of a potshotter.

I think Charles was smart enough to figure Jones out and press the fight and use his jab to set up his combinations. I dont know that he knocks him out but Id take Charles in a good fast fight.

10. frankenfrank

frankenfrank Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Charles was at least as tall as Tarver , probably hit harder , was quicker than Tarver , was durable enough no2 get KOd by Jones whom was no Arnold Cream in terms of size & power and was also not aggressive enough 2 stop Charles like others who did it .
    Jones couldn't stop Charles . If Charles tries a long range fight it may b competitive , but if he knew how 2 press he stops Roy .

11. Sister Sledge

Jul 24, 2004
    No I'm not. Jones was very good at what he did. Less skilled fighters would never have an answer for him. The thing that counters speed is skill, and Charles had more skill than Jones. At 175, Charles was a big puncher, too.

12. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Moore might last 4 rounds with jones.

No idea why anyone would assume in general today's fighter's are more athletic.

13. Sister Sledge

Jul 24, 2004
    Athletically, Jones was the superior fighter. Roy was the most gifted fighter I ever saw. Charlers was just the superior boxer. Jones can't touch him as far as intangibles go.

14. frankenfrank

frankenfrank Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 18, 2009
    He lasted longer while old against Markegiano , u xpect Roid 2do against prime Wright better than what Rocco Markegiano had 2 labor hard 2 manage against n old Wright ?
    u xpect Archie Wright 2 do worse than old bloated Vincenzo Pazienza ? Pazienza was a very good fighter and severely underrated , but was a natural lightwelterweight at most .

15. bodhi

bodhi Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Charles.

A combination of reasons why.
    The only advantage Roy has here is speed. Charles is superior in everything else with the exception of ring generalship and footwork which is about equal.
    Jones would be the boss in the middle of the ring due to his combination of speed, reflexes and footwork. But as many inferior fighters to Charles proved he could be trapped on the ropes largely passive with the highuard up. You can bet your tushy that Charles would be able to do the same but much more often. Especially since Charles was much more aggressive at lhw than at hw and his power had much more of an impact. Add to that Charles accuracy and comination punching and Roy is in deep trouble. Sure, Jones would try to counter on the ropes and with his speed he would land some punches but most of the time he would be locked in the gard while getting hit with multiple bodyshots and hooks around his guard. IMO it would be just a question of time until Charles stops him. ´
    Charles was in with fighters of Jones calibre and with a similar style (Burley), albeit smaller, and he beat them. Jones never was in with a fighter of Charles calibre. Charles would know how to deal with someone like Jones, Jones would rely on his athleticism here. That only takes you so far. Not enough when you step up against this class of fighter. Him not fighting the best during his career would hurt him here because that means a lack of experience that he can´t make up or hide with his athleticism anymore.

Charles TKO11 Jones Jr.