Fan reaction "predictions" after Gonzaga vs Couture...

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by boxingcar, Aug 25, 2007.

1. boxingcar

boxingcar Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 5, 2005
    1 ) if Gonzaga wins...fans will either say...
    a ) gonzaga is #1 in the world!
    b ) Big deal!...Couture was too damn old anyway!
    c ) Bring on Fedor!

2 ) if Couture wins....
    a ) Couture is the BEST EVER!!!...
    b ) Gonzaga was overrated...
    c ) Told ya!...Gonzaga's win over crocop was a fluke anyway..
    d ) Bring on Fedor!

2. WiDDoW_MaKeR

WiDDoW_MaKeR ESB Hall of Fame Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Unfortunately when you have a man who is 44 years old, his age is always going to be a factor.... and when you have a guy who is just coming off of one huge win, with nothing much else to show for, you are going to get the "fluke" card played a lot.

IMO, Gonzaga's win over Cro-Cop was too dominant to be a fluke. The man dominated the entire round and then knocked him out cold. How the hell do you have a 5 minute long "lucky beatdown"?

As for Couture age, of course I do believe that he has lost a step with his age. He is a better all around fighter, but his reflexes are not what they once were, especially on the feet. That didn't stop him from destroying Sylvia, but then again you can see everything that Sylvia throws from a mile away. Since about the time immediately following the Ortiz fight, I have noticed that Randy lathargically pulls his head backwards a lot when punches are thrown at him. Someone who is big, and fast can really exploit that. He showed better side to side head movement once again in his last fight, but you can tell that it taxes his older body to move around so much. Still, he was able to use his dominant wrestling to just take Tim down and control him.

The problem with this fight is that if Randy gets into a bad situation, Gonzaga is a World Champion JJ artist on the ground. It won't be a safe zone just to take him down and control him for a while. Randy is going to have to be on his A game the entire fight, and hopefully he can wear down Gonzaga in the process, and the threat will diminish as the fight goes on.

That being said, if Couture wins this fight he will get more credit than Gonzaga will for beating him. That is just the way it is when you are fighting a 44 year old who could easily fight at 205.

As far as it goes for me, I will be very impressed with whoever wins this fight. Back to back wins over Cro-Cop and Couture would be HUGE for Gonzaga, and prove that he certainly belongs in their with anyone in the world. A win for Couture would just further cement his amazing legacy in the sport.

BTW. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE WINNER OF THIS FIGHT FACE FEDOR!

3. jimmie

jimmie Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Im ****ing scared to death for this fight.

4. WiDDoW_MaKeR

Jul 19, 2004
    I am very anxious as well.

5. AJAX

AJAX war sonnen! Full Member

Aug 25, 2006
    I don't see Couture taking this at all, Gonzaga ground game is too good for couture to exploit for 5 rounds. Gonzaga will be new champ after tonight.

ps- if you see Jimmy with a John ruiz avatar you know Couture lost:D

6. boxingcar

boxingcar Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 5, 2005

whatever it was...Randleman pulled the same **** in 2004....
    Crocop was totally dominated in that one too...

If a BJJ artist KOing a kickboxing vet via highkick isn't a fluke...(the irony!)...i don't know what is...

Gonzaga would get killed under kickboxing...you all know it.

but this is mma ...and well , you still gotta give credit to the guy for pulling the biggest upset since Randleman's victory...

Here's my prediction....
    Gonzaga will beat Couture...
    and IF...only IF...crocop can show up at the top of his game...
    I predict him retiring after winning the ufc belt...

but something tells me that he's gonna lose against his next opponent too...this guy has all the talent in the world but he's ****ing jinxed.. :lol:

7. WiDDoW_MaKeR

Jul 19, 2004
    The win for Gonzaga against Cro-Cop wasn't a fluke for the simple fact that Gonzaga had already taken Mirko down, busted him open, and dominated him on the ground for the entire round before he ever knocked him out with that high kick. (After the ref did Mirko a favor by getting Gonzaga off of him and standing them back up)

8. Boinko

Boinko Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 2, 2004
    Considering how dominant Gonzaga has been in recent fights, it would be silly to degrade a Couture win by saying Gonzaga was all hype and overrated. He's clearly a talented, versatile heavyweight and a win by Randy would be very impressive.

And granted, if Gonzaga wins people will point to Couture's age, but that shouldn't degrade Gonzaga's win either. Randy might be old, but he's coming off a totally dominant win over the champ. How many of us figured he was nuts to come out of retirement and face Sylvia? I certainly did!

I figure whoever wins this fight should be commended for a great win. Plain and simple.

9. dwilson

dwilson Guest

Either way BRING ON SYLVIA!!!!!!!!!!