Fantasy match: Pirog vs GGG

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by the commentator, Feb 11, 2024.

1. the commentator

the commentator Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If pirog's injury didn't force him to retire..who would've won?

2. chacal

chacal F*** the new normal Full Member

Jun 21, 2015
    I like Pirog more than GG. If he had to rob Derevyanchenko and arguably Jacobs, Pirog wins. Pirog is no Ishida and no Maclin, Pirog actually knew how to box, great talent.

ShovelHook, bjl12 and Dangerwood84 like this.
  3. JMotrain

JMotrain Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 30, 2005
    Pirog is one of the more underrated fighters out there. I think he would have won a decision against GGG.

maac, ShovelHook, chacal and 2 others like this.
  4. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Pirog had insane hype that I never understood.

The Jacobs win aged well, but I think he was losing to Jacobs before he caught lightening in a bottle. And I wouldn't expect most fans on this site to rate the victory over Jacobs as much as I do anyways as they'll consider him green and cancer riddled at the time.

I just don't see Pirog beating Golovkin at that time, I don't see many people doing it tbf.

Silver, BCS8, theXshape and 3 others like this.
  5. JMotrain

JMotrain Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 30, 2005
    I'll have to re-watch the Jacobs fight but I thought Pirog was winning it handily before he knocked Jacobs out.

Pirog was a special fighter. He was one of the better defensive fighters from that time period. He was absolutely hard to hit because of his upper body movement. He also was able to switch stances seemlessly.

As much as I love GGG, he was a straight up and down fighter. He wasn't really that tough to nail with clean shots but he had an iron chin and great power. Golovkin also had great stamina, some of the best I've seen. He still had it even at 40. GGG wasn't an easy out for anybody but the more skilled fighter in my eyes was Pirog. I think he would have outworked GGG to a UD but GGG would definitely have a punchers chance.

On a side note, I think Pirog would have beaten Canelo rather easily as well but probably gets robbed on the scorecards.

ShovelHook and Dangerwood84 like this.
  6. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    I just don't think Pirogs skills were proven at the highest level so I can't rate him as much as others do.

I watched it at the time and felt Jacobs was well ahead tbh.

7. MismatchHypejob

MismatchHypejob Active Member Full Member

Aug 24, 2022
    Flashy exaggerated movement does not = skill

Golovkin had great defence that was very subtle manoeuvring elbows/forearms and high level distance control. He wasn’t easy to nail, he took punches he knew he could take

Reallymakesmethink likes this.
  8. Dangerwood84

Dangerwood84 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    It was a competitive fight that was even for the first couple of rounds but I thought Pirog was clearly taking over but it's a subjective sport as we know. I agree that Pirog would have beaten GGG mostly likely by decision.

ShovelHook and bjl12 like this.
  9. MidniteProwler

MidniteProwler Fab 4. Mayor of Aussie Boxing Full Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Pirog was quality and a dangerous fighter but prime GGG was a freak there is a reason not many of the other top guys had the guts to fight him.

BCS8 and bjl12 like this.
  10. theXshape

theXshape Active Member Full Member

Jun 29, 2011
    GGG skills seem to be underrated. Many people forget how good he was.

After all the fights I've seen of both, I believe GGG had the goods to beat Pirog, but we will never know.

MidniteProwler and bjl12 like this.
  11. bjl12

bjl12 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 26, 2012
    If there was a time to beat GGG it was early on before he picked up steam. Pirog was peaked and GGG hadnt yet formulated all of his confidence.

Wouldve been a great fight

MidniteProwler likes this.
  12. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Always leaned Pirog close UD.

JMotrain, ShovelHook and drenlou like this.
  13. drenlou

drenlou Tres Delinquentes Full Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Same.

14. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I'll still take the guy with the most middleweight defences in history over the flash in the pan du jour. Call me crazy.

JMotrain likes this.
  15. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    If that was peak Pirog, with no world ranked victories to his name, that says it all imo.

The usual thinking is Pirog would go on to do better and he was unfulfilled potential.