Fastest combos

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Boxing2019, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Boxing2019

Boxing2019 If you want peace, prepare war. Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Make a list of the fastest fighters at doubling shots in the HWs. Ali, Tyson and Lewis are the first who come in my mind. Which others in your opinion?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  2. Samtotheg

Samtotheg Active Member Full Member

May 4, 2021
    hand speed is a myth a lof of combos you see are a result of a guy in a high guard getting bombed on, positioning leads to good offense not hand speed.

Seamus likes this.
  3. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Not Lewis, Tyson or Ali. The fastest combination punchers are smaller men. More than that, there are "combination punchers" and combination punchers. Naoyao Inoue is fast on a one-two, but he's throwing the sixth and seventh punch in the combination with as little gap between them as the first and second. This is something that heavyweights are absolutely awful at, because it's all about balance and small moves.

Second, there is the question of power on the punches. Scoring combinations are fine but really long, really fast, really powerful combination punchers are so much rarer than people think (I think). Sugar Ray Robinson and Sugar Ray Leonard are absolutely comparable for fast combinations (balance, accuracy, timing, fluid mobility) but Robinson clearly outstrips him to my eye in terms of hitting very hard. Armstrong throws very many punches but doesn't reflect their excellence in accuracy and timing; Olivares is as good as anyone over four punches, but he trails off after that in terms of absolute excellence in these areas.

I think the best I've ever seen in this department, I think, would be Ray Robinson, Manny Pacquiao and Roman Gonzalez. Now all you have to worry about is defence, positioning, shot selection, anticipation bleauch.

Incidentally, I stopped following along and am kicking myself about it but I think that you can see Canelo improving in this regard in five-fight clutches. That is, you can see him getting better at staying fast-handed on longer combos. I kind of wrote him off (maybe unfairly) as a one-two merchant when I first saw him box and then he added a third good punch and a fourth. Worth thinking about if this is interesting to you.

4. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Duran deserves a mention.

5. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
  6. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Ali`s combo`s were far quicker than Lewis`s.

Rakesh, Reinhardt and swagdelfadeel like this.
  7. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Patterson was one of the fastest combo punches of all-time and the fastest combo puncher in heavyweight history.

Rakesh, White Bomber, HolDat and 6 others like this.
  8. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    This content is protected

9. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    People, this is just about HWs, and we only have a handful of fast ones: Tyson, Patterson, Ali, Louis, Dokes

HolDat, Toney F*** U and TipNom like this.
  10. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    Duran ain't a HW, as the creator of this thread asked.

Boxing2019 likes this.
  11. Boxing2019

Boxing2019 If you want peace, prepare war. Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    As to the speed of his combos Lewis is very underrated above all here imo. He destroyed many opponents with photonic combos (Bruno, Ruddock, Golota, Rahman II and others).

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  12. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Holyfield threw some pretty damn quick combos.

13. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I'll put forward the name of my man Sanders in addition to the guys mentioned

14. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Holyfield threw some snappy combinations. He would bring that left over/under. Faster then most heavyweights could. Evander still had the coordination and quickness of a light heavyweight.

15. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Joshua’s a good combo puncher