Featherfisted British Fighters

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by yesihavearm2, Jun 13, 2017.

1. goku23

goku23 Member Full Member

May 28, 2014
    You'd expect a genuine MW and now SMW to be able to ko or stop opponents given the amount of punches he landed on Spike O'Sullivan, Blackwell and Quinlan.
    Eubank Jr had a field day but couldn't clinically put them down, and Tom Doran although stopped didn't look particularly hurt or dazed by some clean shots (uppercuts iirc) but took a knee and just looked like he wanted an early night.

Definitely Hughie Fury, Warrington, Burns and I'd add Andrew Selby to the list

destruction likes this.
  2. carlingeight

carlingeight Active Member Full Member

May 15, 2016
    Somewhere between featherfisted and average power for me. You could never call his power a positive attribute.

3. Matt Petley

Matt Petley Active Member Full Member

May 19, 2017
    yes we know he beat up blackwell, he has a great engine and good punch volume / output. But he hasn't got that 1 punch knockout power, he breaks opponents down through volume of punhes landed, not power.

4. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Do you have any idea how easy it is for anybody to seriously hurt somebody?

Unfortunately for example the truth is that untrained, fat, middle aged men have actually killed people with a single blow to the head outside pubs.. by your logic they are were all monster power punchers.

Just because Nick Blackwell suffered a life threatening injury does not mean Jr hits hard. It was an unfortunate accident that could happen to any boxer against any opponent, that's why I find it difficult to call fighters "bums" and especially "cowards".

Twentyman and destruction like this.
  5. N17

Feb 16, 2013

Ricky Burns

6. lawslaw

lawslaw Active Member Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Kinda tempted to add Chisora to the list. For someone his size and his build and aggression, I always thought he should be hitting harder and have a higher KO % than he does.

AgentDRL and N17 like this.
  7. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    ABove average id say. But not by much. Hes fast and accurate moreso

8. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    The percentage of boxers that have 1 punch k.o power is less than those that have it.

9. Last Half

Last Half New Member Full Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Crolla-Mitchell-Edwards

10. Farmboxer

Farmboxer VIP Member Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Golovkin Vs. Saunders after the El Pollo fight..........................Saunders does not have a chance...........speaking of feathers, El Pollo's feathers will fly, his wing punch will do him not good..................

11. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I genuinely enjoy watching Eubank but I agree, he lacks power although he more than makes up for it with his punch volume. As much has he tried though he just could not spark Blackwell, O'Sullivan, Chudinov or Quinlan out. They all took an awful lot of shots. Then again, sparking an opponent out isn't the measure of a great fighter.

Can't wait for him to fight someone genuinely dangerous.

12. yesihavearm2

yesihavearm2 ESB Chinchecker Full Member

May 30, 2008
    I agree I am looking forward to seeing Eubank step-up, everyone is waiting for it.

The only fights that are available that can answer the questions would be GGG, Jacobs, Saunders x2, Lemieux at 160 or DeGale/Groves/Jack at 168. I don't want to see him fight Smith at this point because I feel that Smith is still relatively untested the same as Eubank, although that could be a quality fight down the road.

13. N17

Feb 16, 2013
    I agree, good shout.

14. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Thing is, I think every single fighter you mention above would beat him at the moment. Including C Smith has a relatively unknown quantity.

Smith has power in them hooks and Eubank leaves himself wide open for them, especially the left hook. He sits in the pocket way too long and plants his feet. He's been caught a lot with that.

yesihavearm2 likes this.
  15. tdf1974

tdf1974 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 9, 2013
    josh warrington could not knock a skin off custard

likewise the mcdonnells