Fedor = overrated

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by Gander Tasco, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Stoo

Stoo Obsessed with Boxing banned

Apr 4, 2008
    ok....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLylhDFBqEM&feature=related[/ame]

2. Haggis McJackass

Haggis McJackass Semi-neutralist Overseer Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    For the record, my stance on Fedor's ATG standing.

First, I readily admit that I can't make my own solid call for anybody. I haven't seen enough fights and I haven't been following the sport for long enough to judge fighters properly on resume. Also, to a lesser extent, I don't yet know enough of the technical stuff to evaluate fighters properly on more than a base, gut level. (Though I am pretty good at picking winners :yep).

Having said that, I am very prepared to accept Fedor as the ATG heavyweight. I know that's the consensus opinion. I've seen his most famous fights, and of course I'm a fan. What an unbelievable win streak he put together, and you have to respect that the guy could turn any fight around and win in two seconds. Unbelievable fighter.

But I also know that many, MANY MMA fans are flat out in love with the guy. Like, pre-teen girls for Beiber in love. Everything Fedor does is perfect. Anything to do with MMA, his worshippers will default straight to "Fedor wins." Make a thread asking who the most fan-friendly fighter is, several responses will say "Fedor." Um.... why, exactly? Well, the answer of course is "He's Fedor - Fedor is the best."

Now, this level of man-love gets suffocating. And I only came in on the ass end of the Fedor invincibility era. But it annoys the **** out of me that the guy gets a complete pass for clocking up THREE consecutive stoppage losses before his 35th birthday, said losses coming by sub, beatdown and clean KO. Two of them coming in fights that Fedor was entirely physically and stylistically capable of winning.

I give him a pass for Bigfoot because ****, that guy was just too big and strong and good. No shame at all in losing there.

But frankly, he put in a terrible effort against Henderson. He was a sloppy brawler who had zero respect for the skillset of his ATG opponent, and he got pushed around and then knocked out by the older, smaller man because of it. When I watch the 34 year old GOAT, I expect a lot better than what Fedor gave me on the weekend. I mark his overall legacy down because of that. :bart

:hat

3. Shogun Assassin

Shogun Assassin Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Or maybe cause he's always exciting, goes for the finish every second of the fight and is all class outside the cage. You will find other fighters that get the same love, like Sakuraba or Wanderlei.

4. scurlaruntings

scurlaruntings ESB 2002 Club Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Seriously dude you are a joke. Your argument is pathetic. It brims with these ridiculous ad-hominems and baseless sweeping statements that are nothing more than opinionated drivel. How about you sprinkle some facts on these stupid statements you keep making?

According to you everyone in PRIDE was on gear. By extension that means Werdum Fedor Silva and Hendo were on gear. But wait! Silva WAS on gear and has been busted for it more than once, and he's an acromegalic giant who has an abnormally naturally high levels of GH. Hendo has been taking HRT for dam near a decade. Face the fact's you don't even have an argument so now you're just swinging for the hills.

I don't recall you screaming from the roof tops when Barnett was the UFC champ. Oh thats right Barnett was on steroids too in the UFC?!?! What about Tim Sylvia, Brock or Carwin. Those escaped you as well?

You post an old picture of Fedor in his early 20's AFTER a work out and that's your proof? Well move over NSAC who cares about **** tests when all EL bollocks has to do is just look at a picture. :roll:
    Honestly i don't even know why im answering this post but its official you're a troll. And trolls get put on /ignore.

5. horst

horst Guest

It seems you put far too much stock in a fighter's age.

Repeatedly saying "before 35", "the 34 year old GOAT" means nothing.

Fighters decline at completely different rates, measuring them against some fictitious yardstick of age where they should be this good or that good at this age or that age is pointless.

Randy Couture was 44 when he pulled off one of the best performances of his career against Gabriel Gonzaga.

By contrast, Mirko Crocop was only 35 when he got knocked out cold by Brendan Schaub, a guy he would've stopped in the pre-fight face-off in his prime.

Anderson Silva was almost 36 when he crane-kicked Vitor Belfort into oblivion this year, a year older than Wanderlei Silva when Wandy was getting obliterated by Chris Leben.

Age is relative, Fedor has declined at the rate that he has declined, it should not be measured or compared to anyone else. Is Randy Couture a greater fighter than Wanderlei Silva because he could compete at a high level in his mid-late 30s, and Wandy seemingly cannot? No. You rate and rank guys based on how good they were in their primes, not how quickly or badly they declined.

I dunno if you are into boxing, but Roy Jones Jr was getting iced by Antonio Tarver and Glen Johnson in 2004-5 when he was around 35-37 years old, does that in any way detract from how sensationally brilliant he was in his 1990s prime, throughout his 20s? Absolutely no ****ing way. :nono

6. Tuno

Tuno Member Full Member

Mar 16, 2009
    It is called Respect. The man has proven himself and deserve the props given to him. If anything the people you so called fan girls are also many of the top MMA fighters(champions) who praise him like many other fans of the sport.

See I would understand if you talk about someone like Kimbo Slice, someone off the street have a few random fights with unknown and unproven guys and have a cult following. But instead you try to talk down a man who has dominated top fighters over and over again for 10 freaking years, and then suddenly have a three streak lose but can't put together that he wasn't the same man he once was.

So basically you just telling us that this guy is just the luckiest man in the world for 10 years and his luck finally fan out and showed us how limited he really is although no one can expose him for a decade. Remember this guy fought any top fighters willing to come his way, not like Andre Berto who was gone at the first decent challenge being presented.

7. EL BULLY

EL BULLY Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 19, 2006
    I didn't post the picture. I have always been anti gear in combat sports no matter who it is and in what org they fight. I said Sonnen should be banned for life as I equate it to attempted manslaughter. You are such a blinkered dick head. OK we get it, you was into MMA first. You are the original. None of us know anything about anything unless we agree with you. I never watch anything other than TUF and i think Forrest Griffin is the GOAT. There you go. Now **** off you complete ****.

8. rekcutnevets

rekcutnevets Black Sash Full Member

May 25, 2007
    Sometimes, angles come into play.

This content is protected

9. Canibus98

Canibus98 Member Full Member

Apr 16, 2011
    If fedor was on the juice there is no reason for him to stop. FFS its not difficult to cycle on and off to beat a test you know is coming.

10. Haggis McJackass

Jul 20, 2004
    This was EXACTLY the kind of fanatical love I was talking about. I am going to reply to your post by quoting MYSELF, using the same lines that I used in the post that you quoted. :patsch

This content is protected

Wow, what a glaring lack of respect. I called him the ATG heavyweight, called him an "unbelievable fighter", praised his win streak, and said that he could win any fight at any time. What a hater. :-(

The rest of your post is just you throwing a pathetic temper tantrum. In no way did I even attempt to compare Fedor to someone like Kimbo, instead I flat out stated that I accept Fedor as the #1 ATG HW. In no way did I even HINT that he didn't deserve his undefeated streak.

In fact, essentially all I have said is that "He's the #1 ATG, but getting stopped three times in a row impacts his legacy, especially considering that two of those fights were VERY winnable for him."

And because you are a childish fanboy who won't take Fedor's balls out of your mouth for even two seconds, you read that as "Fedor sucks and is nothing!" :patsch

11. scurlaruntings

scurlaruntings ESB 2002 Club Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    You call that blinkered? You don't even have a point? F'in tool. :patsch

12. Haggis McJackass

Jul 20, 2004
    This much is obvious.

However, I'M not the one crying that "It's not the real Fedor" simply because HE LOST A COUPLE OF FIGHTS.

Look at Henderson. Age had little if anything to do with that loss. Fedor isn't physically shot, not by a long way. He showed that his hands were still fast and powerful, that he could still pull the trigger. He lost because he was wild, sloppy, careless, disrespectful of his top-10 ATG opponent's skillset, and tactically inept.

This wasn't like Ali physically not being able to get a jab within a foot of Holmes' face. Not at ALL. This was an ATG fighter coming in complacent, showing pretty much zero in the way of gameplan, skills or respect, and getting stopped by his smaller, older opponent. That was a fight that the #1 ATG should have won, or at least should not have lost like that. The fact that he didn't impacts his legacy.

13. Stoo

Apr 4, 2008
    Haggis, your posts are getting really repetitive

14. Stoo

Apr 4, 2008
    Haggis, your posts are getting really repetitive.

15. Stoo

Apr 4, 2008
    Haggis, your posts are getting really repetitive..