Fedor vs Arona

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by rekcutnevets, Jul 8, 2010.

1. rekcutnevets

rekcutnevets Black Sash Full Member

May 25, 2007
    This is the bout that had some questioning the decision. I don't recall it being talked about here, forgive me if I missed it. I've read that the judges defended their scoring by saying that Fedor did more damage and made more attempts to end the fight. The judges allegedly, since I don't have any direct quotes, said the positional control was not a part of their criteria.

Here is the fight:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsydIE6UKvc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Os659KhVnM[/ame]

2. Sloth

Sloth Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Even as one of Fedor's biggest fans, I can say that fight probably should have favored Arona in the scoring. But, that was long before the mystic was built around Fedor so I doubt foul play. Funny, me and a buddy was discussing this fight just the other day.

Rematch? Fedor kills Arona:lol::good

3. Beebs

Beebs Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Arona pretty clearly should have been given the decision, but RINGS had several terrible decisions.

If GnP to the face was allowed, Arona likely would have stopped him.

But yes, that was the past, and not really indicative of them today.

4. Messiah

Messiah Member Full Member

Nov 5, 2009
    They weren't fighting under the North American Unified Rules, They were fighting under Rings own rules, so takedowns and positioning didn't score. Only strikes and sub attempts scored if I'm not mistaken. If you view the fight with this in mind, it becomes clear that Fedor won.

Under the Rings rules (or even Pride rules), Gegard Mousasi would have won the fight against King Mo, because he inflicted more damage.

5. am0kgonzo

am0kgonzo Active Member Full Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Because Arona has shown to be so deadly once he gets dominant position.

Bahahahahahahaha.

6. Beebs

Feb 21, 2007
    Ok fair point :lol:, change "finish" to "win clearly"

7. Beebs

Feb 21, 2007
    You are mistaken, and even then it is anything but clear that Fedor would have won under those rules.

Mo won that fight under any rules, Mousasi was never close to finishing.

8. Nuke

Nuke Full Length Member Full Member

Feb 22, 2005

This is just a simple example of American wrestling being favored in the states. The rest of the world doesn't think takedowns are worth THAT much. Gegard beat the brakes off of Mo but Mo dragged him to the ground a few times so he gets the belt. Pretty gay if you ask me. Strikes and sub attempts count for **** against takedowns and hugs.

9. Nuke

Feb 22, 2005

and Mo WAS close to finishing? Mo had like 4 takedowns and 10 hugs. Gegard shut BOTH Mos eyes from the guard and attempted several subs.

10. Delroc

Delroc Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Fedor tried like 10 chokes and even a knee bar the fight was basically submission attempts and Fedor had more.

I ****ing hate the "position" scoring rule its what rewards LnP, I believe that if a guy is on top but getting hit more he should lose the round based on damage ala Mousasi-Mo. If all Orgs used Pride rules fights would be MUCH more viewer friendly.

11. Nuke

Feb 22, 2005

agreed, American unified rules are terrible. I've been saying it forever, American rules favor American wrestlers.

12. (PimpThaSystem)

(PimpThaSystem) Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2009
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/ufc-judging-criteria-nsac-640304/

Not exactly. The unified rules state that clean strikes are to be scored above all other criteria, including effective grappling, octagon control, and effective agression, etc. The problem isn't the rules, its uneducated judges.

13. BoxingWM

BoxingWM Member Full Member

Nov 29, 2008
    I ask myself how judges can be uneducated? How can they be judges if they do not score according to the published rules? It's not that the rules are complicated or hard to learn... it's just a sheet of paper they have to know and score accordingly. "Uneducated judges" can only be biased or corrupt in my view.

14. El Bujia

El Bujia Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Ring rules were that if a fight had no clear winner over 2 rounds, a 3rd round would be used as a tie-breaker. Arona very clearly won the first round, and while he controlled Fedor on the ground at times in the 2nd, was made to look useless on the feet a lot of the time as well. I can see why that round would've been scored even, thus the need for the tie-breaking round, which Fedor clearly won. Be that as it may, Arona did control at least 7 of those first 10 minutes of the fight, so I wouldn't really argue with those who felt he deserved the nod after the first 2 rounds, either.

Call me crazy, but I think Arona would've given Fedor issues at any time of his career. Styles make matchups.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  15. Nuke

Feb 22, 2005

Another Fedor woulda/shoulda/coulda lost against "insert fighters name" if he only fought him/again post?

That was Fedors 3rd or 4th fight plus the next fight was the imfamous illegal cut Fedor loss so it wasn't like the judges where leaning for Fedor to win. Nobody knew who he was. Plus I'll bet you Fedor is better now then he was then.