Felix Cash vs Austin Williams - June 10 // London

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by DramaShow, Mar 17, 2023.

1. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Prime Herbie Hide beats Chisora and Whyte on the same night

Sonny1 likes this.
  2. Sonny1

Sonny1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 11, 2013
    What he said, but probably 20 times I would say. How Wilder won an Olympic bronze is beyond me.

3. Sonny1

Mar 11, 2013
    Bud, you need to calm down on this over hyping of average recent heavies including Deontay Wilder. Don’t forget he has had the worst list of opponents while defending the WBC title. Those are facts, his defences were horrendous.

As you are comparing the 2, I’ll simplify it for you. Holyfield is an all time great heavyweight (who fought everyone) which is the general consensus by any sane boxing fan. Wilder has beaten no one of note, don’t even think about mentioning certain 70 year old Cuban and the only skill he possesses apart from punch power is bravery.

4. Sonny1

Mar 11, 2013
    You are quoting Steve USS Cunningham, the man who David Haye would have smashed to pieces at cruiserweight and Chris Byrd who finished his career at 175lbs. You need to do better than that.

5. Sonny1

Mar 11, 2013
    Let me tell you how poor Deontay Wilder is as you keep banging on about that first Fury fight. In the 12th round after he’s dropped Fury, he should have finished that fight with a conventional 1-2 combination. That was all that was needed. What did he do immediately after the count? Started windmilling like a pisshead having a scrap in Weatherspoons. That is why Fury took it to him after getting dropped the second time, because he knows Wilder can’t box. Speed triumphs power almost every time. Wilders effort and choice of punches in the 12 round were embarrassing. There are levels to this game and he is levels below the actual true greats of the last 25-30 years. Bowe, for example would have toyed with Wilder and kayoed him early. It’s not even debatable.

6. Sonny1

Mar 11, 2013
    If you think Fury has a better resume than Lewis, which you have said above, you are mad.

7. Redbeard7

Redbeard7 Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 9, 2022
    "over hyping of average recent heavies including Deontay Wilder."

Emmanuel Steward: Fury is a future great, will dominate the division like Lewis and Klitschko and Wilder is the clear No.2, Fury's main rival

Sonny1: Fury and Wilder are average recent heavies

"worst list of opponents while defending the WBC title"

Vitali fought weaker competition as WBC kingpin and he's frequently regarded as one of the best ever H2H.

"Holyfield is an all time great heavyweight"

How was he viewed IN HIS OWN TIME? Undersized, light puncher, struggled with relics from the 70's, dominated by Bowe, lost to ex-LHW Moorer. Wilder's stock could easily increase massively.

If you think Lewis showed anywhere near the guts in the Holyfield rematch that Fury did in the Wilder rematch then there's no point even discussing it.

8. Redbeard7

Oct 9, 2022
    Non-sequitur. Haye probably avoided 2x cruiser champ Cunningham given the level of most of his cruiser and heavyweight opposition and Byrd was a 2x HW champion, beat Vitali, schooled Tua. These men are all extremely experienced champions who've sparred a lot of names and know what goes on, what they say about Wilder carries weight. More weight than the average boxing fan, certainly.

It's also good that you mention Haye, who has said he thinks Wilder is the hardest puncher in history and other positive stuff:

“One thing also no-one really mentions is Deontay Wilder’s punch resistance. He can take a shot. I was giving him some digs; I’ve buzzed him a bit and he’s been back wanting more. Not only is it a good chin, his recovery power is great, most people you hit them with one shot their legs go a little bit and they’re not quite the same. He’s straight back on it.” - David Haye, 2020

9. Sonny1

Mar 11, 2013
    Liked that you mentioned Lomachenko, absolute genius of a boxer who has been so good during he amateur and pro careers he glides around around the ring. What a fighter.

10. Sonny1

Mar 11, 2013
    I never said Fury was average. I said he’s not anywhere near an ATG, which you somehow think he is.

11. Sonny1

Mar 11, 2013
    If our sport was just about power then Wilder would be great, but it’s not. Far from it.

velagod likes this.
  12. Redbeard7

Oct 9, 2022
    "Bowe, for example would have toyed with Wilder and kayoed him early"

Bowe probably wouldn't have even got in the ring with Wilder and there's no evidence he can take that kind of power, or get rid of guys who aren't as fragile as Hide and Gonzales inside 6. He wasn't hard to hit either, unlike ATG slickster Fury.

"Speed triumphs power almost every time"

Fast SHW Wlad: Wilder is extremely fast

13. Redbeard7

Oct 9, 2022
    "Average fighters"

Who have I "hyped up" as more than an "average fighter" in this thread other than Wilder and Fury?

"I said he’s not anywhere near an ATG"

Lewis wasn't a "true great" either when he fought Vitali. Too cautious, fragile chin, banged out twice by wide underdogs. 20 years later "Lewis is the GOAT!" That's how boxing fans are.

14. Sonny1

Mar 11, 2013
    What will you say if Usyk beats the ATG Fury? ATG which he is clearly isn’t. I haven’t even mentioned the failed drug testing (which in boxing is a disgrace) and 2 years on the coke and booze. Hardly professional legendary status is it.

You do love a quote, I’ll give you that. Thank god for google eh.

15. Redbeard7

Oct 9, 2022
    As if power (possibly the most dangerous right hand ever) is Wilder's only attribute. How long have you been watching boxing? A few of his others: speed, timing, range, toughness, determination, ferocity, experience. Olympic bronze on less than 3 years boxing experience, 10 consecutive defences.