Felix Trinidad .Vs. Antonio Margarito

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by la-califa, Nov 3, 2008.

1. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    I think people cant draw on the Cotto fight at all for this matchup.

Different fighters, different fight.

Tito boxes him with his power, a mercy stoppage is likely but Ill give Tony the benefit of the doubt and say he loses a wide decision.

2. Jack

Jack Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 11, 2006
    I don't see a stoppage for Trinidad because he's not a bigger puncher than Cintron, who landed his best shots on Margarito. I think Margo is virtually unstoppable at 147lbs. Maybe Hearns could stop him, I'm not sure. I can't really imagine anyone keeping Margarito down for the count.

3. the cobra

the cobra Awesomeizationism! Full Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Who has Cintron stopped to warrant such praise?

Matthysse who has been stopped by all the quality fighters he has fought?

David Estrada who gave him hell and went 10 rounds?

Jesse Feliciano who blocked punches with his face but still went 10?

Cintron doesn't hit as hard as Trinidad.

4. WhataRock

Jul 29, 2004
    That is just plain false. Their records clearly indicate this.

5. bambalan

bambalan Member Full Member

Sep 30, 2008
    please explain why is cintron a better puncher

6. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 28, 2008
    I'd say Margarito has a better chance than some are giving him... Tito was something special, but he could sometimes underthrow and become inactive while looking for the perfect shot. If Margarito's durability can hold up to Tito's shots, then his workrate could overwhelm Trinidad and begin a process of breaking him down.

7. JM22

JM22 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2008
    And Vargas doesn't have the chin pressure and throw's 100 or more punches in almost every round and get's stonger as the fight goes on
    How will Tito deal with what Margo does he will be hitting tito in every round body and head non stop and there are just some guy's you just CANT DROP.

But i do think Hearn's stop's Margo.

8. WhataRock

Jul 29, 2004
    Tito doesnt need to stop a guy to win a fight, it just was usually the end result.

He was usually very dominant and won rounds with good boxing skill, aswell as power.

People have gone the rounds with Tito before or taken him late into a fight. Against Tony, he would just keep doing what won him the rounds earlier in the fight. He also doesnt need to drop Margarito to stop him, and in fact if he did stop him I wouldnt think it would be a 10 count anyway.
    At welter Tito's durability and stamina was way better then Cotto's, he proved this more then once.

We are just talking about two different class of fighters here.

9. Canibus81

Canibus81 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Trinidad is a better puncher than Cotto but he ain't a more complete fighter than Cotto. Cotto boxes much better than Trinidad.

10. JM22

Jun 5, 2008
    I agree with you with power but like i said there just some fighter's that you can not drop or stop on there prime's.

Tito has skill so does Margo if tito cant stop Margo no way he will win!!!
    Margo also throw's hard body and head shot's from all angles great uppercut nonstop will be all over tito it will be a war tito doesn't have the skill's to outbox or movement to win by that.

BTW i pick Hearns to stop Margo.

11. JM22

Jun 5, 2008
    So what do you think whatarock?

12. KOTF

KOTF Bingooo Full Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Trinidad by 7th round TKO in one for the ages via a devastating Tito left hook

13. Sardu

Sardu RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012 Full Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Great fight! I would gladly have paid to watch it. Margarito is an animal but Tito is taller and longer ala Paul Williams. Tito is close to six feet tall and has a decent reach which he could use to hit Margarito from a distance. As the fight progresses Margarito will try to bull his way inside - and pay a terrible price for it. Boxer punchers can beat Trinidad ala ODH until he flat out ran away and threw the fight away or Hopkins. Oure sluggers, even granite-chinned ones like Margarito will get hit too much and Tito had some serious dynamite in those fists of his.

Trinidad KO 11 Margarito in a truly great fight.

14. teeto

teeto Obsessed with Boxing banned

Oct 15, 2007
    Wow this is an old thread, Trinidad stops him guaranteed.

15. cuchulain

cuchulain VIP Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Both men have a record of fighting with unorthodox wrappings.

And neither man has much resume AFTER the wrapping issues were brought to light.

At 147, with each man's wrappings carefully scrutinized, I think Tito takes it, probably by stoppage.

He probably climbs off the canvas at least once in the process.