Fernando Vargas vs Terry Norris

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by North Star Boxing, Apr 18, 2019.

1. North Star Boxing

North Star Boxing New Member Full Member

Apr 18, 2019
    2 great jr middleweights in their primes how does it go?

2. ray fritz

ray fritz Active Member Full Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Terry by KO5,only 1 great jr middle

Rspen46 likes this.
  3. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Agreed.

The word great is thrown around far too often here. Neither was great. Norris was closer of course.

As for the bout, the horrible defense of Vargas gets exposed. He'd get hit by everything Norris throws. And he'll be walking into punches & trying to trade and play catchup. I think a pretty brutal stoppage here and one that really sends the Vargas career downhill quick.

Rspen46 and Gatekeeper like this.
  4. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Norris by stoppage. Too fast. As far as being great Terry had the look of a great boxer. He just didn't want to fight any Jr. Middleweights. He definitely didn't want to test himself at '60

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  5. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Prime against prime I go with Terry Norris. Off the charts hand and foot speed.

Rspen46 and Brixton Bomber like this.
  6. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Norris had suspect chin and had poor recuperative powers and was weight bully. Against a big strong opponent like Vargas Norris couldn't bully him and if he boxed like he did like Brown a rematch he would win. However his hot head would be his downfall like Brown first fight. Vargas ko mid rds.

Gatekeeper and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  7. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Neither one was a great fighter, but Norris was better, and I would expect him to stop Nando late. Vargas couldnt handle handspeed, and couldnt avoid left hooks. Norris had a lot of handspeed and a very good hook.

Norris TKO 11.

8. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I disagree with this assessment, although I may have agreed with it last week lol. For whatever reason I decided to review some Vargas fights this week and one of my observations was that he is a deceptively better defensive fighter than I had previously thought. Especially against Quartey Tito and DLH. He is a pretty stationary target but has good head and body movement and able to slip and duck punches quite effectively, and once he hits his groove showed to be a solid counterpuncher as well against quicker hands.

I also think Norris beats him but Vargas will be a quality game challenger. I also think as was mentioned above that an aggressive Norris of the Brown fight might well get caught himself. However if Norris fights patient and smart he should win a decision or possibly late stoppage.

Rspen46 likes this.
  9. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    What about Winky? I'd put Hearns there personally, so him. I agree that Terry KOs him tho

Rspen46 likes this.
  10. Rspen46

Rspen46 Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Norris Wins, faster, quicker, better movement great power, better boxer.

11. Tramell

Tramell Hypocrites Love to Pray & Be Seen. Mathew 6:5 Full Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Norris wins, then asks Larry Merchant how good is his chin, to which Merchant replies "You didn't get hit flush for me to change my mind."