Fielding vs Ryder

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Distrikt45, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Distrikt45

Distrikt45 New Member Full Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Does anyone give Ryder much chance in this one? Very solid performance vs Etches but surely this is a step too far and he won't carry sufficient power at SMW against the notably bigger guy? Guess it comes down to how much heart Rocky has left for the game?

Thoughts appreciated

2. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    I agree, I don't think he'll have the strength at SMW to compete with most. It's a solid match on paper though and I'm looking forward to it. No reason to question Fielding's heart really but I don't think he has a particularly good chin at all, so I'm not totally writing Ryder off.

Distrikt45 likes this.
  3. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Ryder is far too small. Etches was also very small for a SMW.

Distrikt45 likes this.
  4. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Same thoughts as all the above. Fielding by ko. I am looking forward to the fight though.

Distrikt45 likes this.
  5. Distrikt45

Distrikt45 New Member Full Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Thanks all - appreciate the responses. Appears we are all on the same page here - no doubt will be some twists and turns on the night - only fight I'm really interested in watching on the Sky card if I'm honest

6. yesihavearm2

yesihavearm2 ESB Chinchecker Full Member

May 30, 2008
    Fielding has a Glass Jaw, so ofc Ryder has a chance.

7. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    I actually don't understand why Rocky is favored here, period.

Ryder is a skilled operator and can really box in there. Fielding... not so much. He tries, but it's just unnatural and harms him if anything.

He's going to have to go for with an early stoppage and pray to the boxing gods because I can't imagine Fielding actually outclassing Ryder over 12.

8. DirtyOldTown

DirtyOldTown Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2016
    I just can never back any glass jawed fighter in any fight. Ryder by KO.

9. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I don't think Fielding has been active enough since being sparked against Smith and imo he lost against Rebrasse too. Some fighters seem to mentally lose their way after their first defeat and I worry that Fielding might be one of those, which is a shame cos I rate him and think he would have caused someone like Eubank some problems.

He should have too much size for Ryder in this one though and I think he'll shut him out for a UD.

10. DannyBhoy

DannyBhoy Active Member Full Member

May 19, 2016
    Fielding should be too big. Expect Ryder to be live in the fight though.

james5000 likes this.
  11. james5000

james5000 2010's poster of the decade Full Member

Apr 11, 2010
    I think it's 65/35 Fielding personally and give Ryder a good chance of winning.

Fielding is a big Supermiddle and size matters. Ryder needs to start well and then his chances of winning improve greatly.

If Fielding establishes the jab and shows Ryder he's too big early then it will be a ko/shut out.

If Ryder can use his movement and make Fielding miss and can control the tempo of the fight putting some pressure on then he can make it a winnable fight. Ryders stamina looked improved in the Etches fight and that's an advantage he has not cutting the extra weight.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Russell, Twentyman and N17 like this.
  12. On_The_Ropes

On_The_Ropes Active Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2016
    I got Ryder by decision, looked very sharp in his last fight all be it against a very limited Etches. I just feel he has the tools to beat a very over-rated Fielding who IMO clearly lost to Rebrasse in the fight after his KO loss to Smith.

Russell likes this.
  13. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Think you guys are being harsh on Fielding with the glass chin comments. Callum Smith hits hard and would blast out Ryder the same way tbh. Smith handed Mohoumadi his first ever KO in a similar way and he went the distance with Degale.

Ryder is probably less convincing with his chin having been stopped by featherfisted Blackwell at 160. Fielding hits a hell of a lot harder than Blackwell. Size and power will be too much here, and I can't see anything other than a Fielding stoppage win tbh.

14. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Whole post is bang on.

15. oiky

oiky Gypsy Boy Full Member

Jan 17, 2014
    He won't have enough raw strength to win this one