Fight of the Fortnight #5: Cuban Controversy

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by George Crowcroft, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Kid Gavilan v Billy Graham 3

That was not an easy fight to score but I think Gavilan won and don't feel that Graham got jobbed at all here. It was an unpopular decision at the time but the fight took place in Graham's hometown so I don't pay much attention to that.

Graham certainly turned it more into his kind of fight over the second half of the bout which was a victory of sorts but he was almost measured to a fault in his punch output. The jab worked nicely but he didn't put enough punches together to really assert a clear authority, even in the rounds I felt he edged. And I do think it was a question of edging them. The rounds Gavilan won on my card, particularly early on, he won more clearly. No controversy here in my view.

1. 10-9
    2. 10-9 (close)
    3. 10-9 (Graham started the round well but the Kid just outworked him. Still, tough round to score and fight is somewhat closer than my card is suggesting so far)
    4. 10-9 (Gavilan the aggressor and busier than Graham. He's edging these rounds)
    5. 9-10 (First round in the bag for Graham on my card)

Intermission: 5 rounds down and I have it 4-1 Gavilan so far. This is a close and competitive fight but Gavilan's aggression and willingness to throw combinations is edging this over the more spartan output of Graham, despite some nice counters from him.

6. 10-10 (Gavilan opened up with some nice jabs but Graham came into it in the second half. These are marginal rounds, whichever way they go. I do feel that Graham needs to be a little less conservative though)
    7. 10-10 (Jesus, not sure how to score that either! Both fighters waiting to counter the other. Could have gone either way)
    8.10-9 (Graham not doing enough)
    9. 10-10 (These are god awful rounds to score)
    10.10-9 (Graham waiting to counter while Gavilan stays busy)
    11. 9-10 (first Graham round on my card since the 5th)
    12.10-9
    13. 9-10 (Graham countering nicely)
    14. 9-10 (Graham slightly edged this with his counters. He needed to let go of the right hand a bit more though)
    15. 9-10 (close but Graham just edged it)

7-5 Gavilan with 3 rounds even

Gavilan 145-143 Graham

2. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    Emile Griffith v Luis Rodriguez 1

Rodriguez takes this on my card 5 rounds to 4 with 1 even in a scrappy fight which could have gone either way. If it went Griffith's way I wouldn't have a problem with that and equally a draw wouldn't be unreasonable. Griffith's rushes were stifled by holding from El Feo, who lived up to his nickname in this one. He seemed content to jab on the outside before tying up Griffith, who tried to bully his way inside but then got outworked by Rodriguez's superior body attack. I thought Griffith landed the more eye catching headshots although not enough of them to make the difference. Rodriguez concentrated his best work to the torso as his jab was never really used to set up an attack, just to maintain distance. The amount of clinching in this one killed it as a spectacle, really.

1 10-9 (close, fair amount of holding)
    2 9-10 (a lot more holding, ugly round. Rodriguez shared it with a nice left hook, but that was about it)
    3 10-9 (could have gone either way - Rodriguez's body attack evened things up at the end of the round but gave Griffith the slight edge for his earlier work in the round)
    4 9-10 (Rodriguez working the jab well from the outside, although Griffith seemed to land the best punch of the round early on)
    5 9-10 (Rodriguez winning the in-fighting in between the holding. Griffith rushing in but not being that effective)
    6 10-9 (just about even but Griffith got the better of the final exchange - in a generally scrappy fight like this, that's enough to take a round)
    7 10-10 (had to score this one even)
    8 9-10 (was thrown off by the lack of break in the rounds on the fight film before realising I was watching round 8. I gave a slight edge to Rodriguez for his superior body work)
    9 10-9 (nearly scored another even round here but Griffith got a few shots in towards the end that edged it his way. Lots of holding, though)
    10 9-10 (Rodriguez took this in my view, the better, more consistent work, particularly to the body)

Griffith 95-96 Rodriguez

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    TipNom and roughdiamond like this.
  3. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    @George Crowcroft we agreed on 8 of the 10 rounds for Griffith-Rodriguez 1.

The only rounds we differed on were 6 and 7 where you scored 6 even while I gave it marginally to Griffith (although I could have easily made it a drawn round too) and I scored round 7 even whereas you gave that to Rodriguez.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    George Crowcroft likes this.
  4. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Chris, surely if there's two swing rounds then it could go Ugas' way? Anyways...

This content is protected

2019-03-09, WBC Welter Title
    Official Cards: 115-113, 116-112, 111-117
    Rd. SP : YU
    1. 10 : 9
    2. 10 : 9
    3. 9 : 10*
    4. 9 : 10 (38-38)
    5. 10 : 9
    6. 10 : 9*
    7. 9 : 10*
    8. 9 : 10 (76-76)
    9. 10 : 9
    10. 9 : 10*
    11. 9 : 10
    12. 9 : 10 (
    This content is protected
    )

An astrix means It could go either way.

Close fight, very competitive. Not much action though. It was actually pretty boring all things considered, Ugas' style is meh to watch, and I'll get onto Porter's later. Shawn threw more, but lots of it was glancing, Ugas got out-hustled early on put pulled back late imo, which should have got him the win. With a plethora of close rounds though, I'm not losing any sleep over the hometown, A-side fighter getting the decision.

Holy ****nuggets this week's FOTF was boring. I'll make it better next Monday!:D

Jel likes this.
  5. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Ight, @The Undefeated Lachbuster I wanna debate you on this, coz I feel like I was overly harsh on Showtime Shawn(Spence too but that's a whole other subject and probably better if we kept that in the chat) on the podcast when I said he was really boring. I think he is boring for the most part, but can see why someone wouldn't.

Before I get onto that though, remember us talking about Out-Swarmers? Your definition, if I've understood right, perfectly sums up Porter. I might not have understood properly though, was it "a fighter who switches from swarming to out-boxing"?

Porter's style is pretty boring imo. His back foot boxing looks uneasy and forced, whilst he does show some flashes of excellent fundamentals, he often looks sloppy and loops punches along with having a fairly low workrate. His offence though is pretty fun, I can't lie. When he snaps forward into a quick combo it's fun to watch, but then he tends to smother what he's doing and slow it down, I find it boring but I can see why it's not. The Spence fight is an anomaly imo, which can be put down to an amazing, world-class clash of styles between two evenly matched guys with high workrates. I know that's a mouthful lol. I will add that I've only seen 4 fights from Porter, them being Brook, Thurman, Spence and now this, but on a ratio that's 3 **** ones to 1 really good one.

6. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    I got as far as the first two and then lost a bit of motivation.

7. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah same, I couldn't find the full footage of Casamayor/Castillo.

I can't find the strength to do Famechon/Legrá

8. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    I scored this very recently. Here is how I had it. Scored on the NY rounds basis. Here we go, 10 rounds.

Round 1: Griffith
    Round 2: Rodriguez
    Round 3: Griffith
    Round 4: Rodriguez
    Round 5: Rodriguez
    Round 6: Even
    Round 7: Griffith
    Round 8: Rodriguez
    Round 9: Rodriguez
    Round 10: Rodriguez

Total: 6-3-1 Rodriguez

Actual scores were 6-4 and 5-4-1 Griffith and 5-4-1 Rodriguez. What won it for Luis on my card was simply workrate. Griffith was the stronger of the two but when Griffith clinched - especially in the last 3 rounds - he wanted to clinch. But Luis kept slathering his mid-section with body punches in those clinches. He was tireless and scoring cleanly. IMO, Rodriguez won the bout on workrate.

Jel likes this.
  9. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    dude idfk what the definition was anymore im still trying to figure it out

im pretty sure it was an outboxer whom uses workrate to disrupt his opponent's rhythm like lomachenko

10. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019