Fight of the Week #29: The Year was 1982...

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by George Crowcroft, Nov 29, 2019.

Question?

Poll closed Dec 9, 2019.
  1. Multiple Fight Themes?

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. 1/2 fights a week?

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Group Chat?

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Just watched Fletcher-Green. I don't think it's a spoiler alert to say scorecards aren't really needed in this one! Will post mine though when a few others have watched it...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  2. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Frank Fletcher vs James Green
    Rd.1 Green
    Rd. 2 Green
    Rd. 3 Green
    Rd. 4 Fletcher
    Rd. 5 Green (Close)
    Rd. 6 TKO Fletcher.
    The Fletcher team had a good game plan. Green came out on fire. Fletcher let him punch himself out a little and got his range for those uppercuts with both hands. He ripping up the middle.
    Sudden turn of events.

3. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Question.

Do I carry on doing multiple fight themed threads? Like this one.
    Do I go back to doing 1/2 each week?
    Or do I make a group chat for the people who wanna do it?

Poll added.

rorschach51 likes this.
  4. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    Multiple fight themes might be the way to go. Could give a couple of weeks to give enough time for people to watch them? 'Fights of the Fortnight'?

George Crowcroft and rorschach51 like this.
  5. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    Now @ETM has posted, here's my Fletcher-Green scorecard:
    R1 9-10
    R2 9-10
    R3 9-10
    R4 9-10
    R5 9-10
    R6 TKO

Green jumped all over Fletcher who did his best to box but got tagged hard on several occasions. The referee's intervention in one of the rounds (round 4?) sent Lou Duva into a justifiable rage as The Animal was clearly hurt and Green might have finished it then and there.

It seemed like Fletcher just decided to go for it at the start of the 6th seeing as everything he'd been trying up to then had not worked. And I'll be damned - out of nowhere he forced the stoppage. At first I thought it was a little premature, probably because I thought the ref's previous intervention looked a bit suspicious but after watching the replay, it was obvious Green was really hurt and he didn't complain at all when the ref waved it off.

As for Fletcher getting a title shot at Hagler and giving him trouble at that time (82/83)? Sorry @The Morlocks but The Animal would have had his ass handed to him on a silver platter by The Marvelous One and I reckon in four rounds or less! We can but dream though!

George Crowcroft and rorschach51 like this.
  6. rorschach51

rorschach51 A Legend & A Gentleman Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I second this, although the pm idea isn't bad either.

George Crowcroft and Jel like this.
  7. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Sounds good to me, means I have to be more creative which I'm fine with.
    I think I've got the next theme in mind as well.

rorschach51 likes this.
  8. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Can't think of a better way to spend my brithday morning before I go out.
    Ronaldo Navarrete vs Chang II Choi

Rd - Navarrete : Choi (Total)
    1. 9 : 10 (9-10)
    2. 10 : 9 (19-19)
    3. 10 : 9 (29-28)
    4. 9 : 10 (38-38)
    5. 8 : 10 (46-48)
    6. 10 : 9 (56-57)
    7. 10 : 9 (66-66)
    8. 9 : 10 (75-76)
    9. 9 : 10 (84-86)
    10. 10 : 8 (94-94)

Navarrete wins by 11th round TKO

Great fight, everytime I watch Navarrete I realise how much I like his style. Both men showed big hearts and put on a great show.
    Loved the momentum shifts.
    Shame we never saw much more of Choi, had a lot of talent imo.

The Morlocks and rorschach51 like this.
  9. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    if you want to get multiple people turning in cards thoughts I would stick with 1/2....or along with FOTW add a sub thread with a year that has like 5-6 fights for fights of the month....like in December choose 5+ fights that took place in December or Dec. of a certain year. Just my $0.02

George Crowcroft and Jel like this.
  10. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    We must have watched 2 different fights. That ain't the fight I saw LMAO. Wow!!

George Crowcroft likes this.
  11. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    Well, @ETM gave the 4th to Fletcher but apart from that we had the other rounds the same.

12. rorschach51

rorschach51 A Legend & A Gentleman Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Lupe Pintor vs Wilfredo Gomez (December 3, 1982) (15 Rounds for the WBC/Lineal Super Bantamweight Championship)

Round 1: 10-9 Gomez (A good round for Gomez who comes out sharp, manages to land that bazooka right on a couple of occasions. Once even rocking Lupe, Pintor for his part used the 1st to feel out the champion)

Round 2: 10-9 Gomez (Action starts to heat up Lupe sticks his jab well and gets caught with a awesome 1-2, the right hand of Gomez is on point & he's rolling with Pintor's shots well. Lupe rallies late to make it close, but too many right hand bombs landed for Gomez)

Round 3: 10-9 Pintor (What a round! Gomez comes out swinging for the fences Lupe does catch a few on the chin but for the most part rides the wave of violence either slipping or catching most of Gomez's work on the gloves or arms. After a warning by the ref for low blows to Gomez Lupe comes storming back connecting well with rights & left hooks staggering Gomez & physically moving him up with his punches. Exciting round, and a real good round for Pintor)

Round 4: 10-9 Gomez (Gomez still looking tired from his assault from the prior round appears to take this round off. Even taking the round off Gomez was active & accurate with his jab while throwing the occasional right when he saw the opening. The jab of Gomez carried the round, with Lupe doing mostly good work to the body, but he got caught changing levels almost everytime with Gomez's stiff jab, If Wilfredo turns that into a uppercut when Lupe dips & at times lunges for the body, then Pintor's going to be in big trouble)

Round 5: 10-9 Pintor (Good round for both, Lupe fought a smart tactical round he's very good at slipping punches on the ropes and tiring Gomez out. Wilfredo landed his share of big punches, but so did Lupe and I liked his work better this round, pressing the attack while still fighting a smart tactical fight)

Round 6: 10-8 Pintor (A big round for Lupe, he has his way with Wilfredo here. Beats him up hurts him then goes back to slipping everything Gomez throws while against the ropes. In his frustration Gomez was docked 1 point for either a elbow to Pintor's nose, or hitting Lupe after the bell)

Round 7: 10-9 Gomez (Lupe's body attack is really starting to noticeably bother Gomez. A mid round rally for Wilfredo edges the round in his favor, as Pintor just doesn't have enough output)

Round 8: 10-9 Gomez (At this point Pintor appears to be landing the harder eye-catching punches, but Wilfredo's accuracy and volume is so much more than what Lupe is throwing or connecting with)

Round 9: 10-8 Gomez (Really good round for WIlfredo, but Arthur Mercante Sr. the referee is killing me with these warning to Pintor about low blows. Over & over Lupe connects right above the belt line and Mercante has warned him all fight for legal punches taking 1 point this time. Then stands back as Gomez gets Pintor against the ropes & reels off 5 or 6 low low blows to the cup and hip area, with the occasional elbow thrown to Pintor's chin for good measure, with hardly a word said about it from mister meddlesome)

Round 10: 10-9 Gomez (Lupe still going after Gomez, Wilfredo's face a swollen and bruised mess. Yet Gomez is still doing most of the effective landing. Pintor rallies again late, but for me it's just not enough)

Round 11: 10-9 Gomez (Big round for Gomez, he finally buckles Pintor at the knees, Unloading bombs Pintor against the ropes again this time taking almost every punch Wilfredo throws. Lupe Pintor is tougher than a $2 steak, but his pride/bravado in showing he can handle Gomez's power is not only costing him the fight, it's also finally starting to slowly take him out)

Round 12: 10-9 Pintor (Both men meet immediately in the middle of the ring and start trading. Gomez hurts Lupe early & goes on a frenzied attack. A lot of it lands, but Lupe gathers himself and starts making Wilfredo miss again. Pintor battles back, both men are trading again and in the last 30 seconds Lupe hits Gomez with a barrage of punches that have Wilfredo completely out on his feet at the bell. A good case can be made for this being a Gomez round, but for me Pintor finished stronger than at any point for Gomez. Another 10 seconds in that round and we probably had a new Super Bantamweight Champion)

Round 13: 10-9 Pintor (Gomez looks completely spent, he's still pecking away trying to land big, but he's mainly in retreat still trying to recover from the last 2 rounds. They exchange until the bell for the last 30 seconds, the better work and the aggressor are the same in this round imo)

Round 14: TKO (Kinda out of nowhere, Gomez caught Pintor reaching (as he's done all night) this time a perfect combination left hook to the body, followed by one to the head that misses, a overhand that misses making Lupe duck right into a hookercut that puts him down. Wilfredo swarms a wobbly Pintor & within seconds drops him again, hitting him 1 last time when he was on 1 knee signaling Arthur Mercante to jump in and wave the fight over.

My Score: (124-121 Gomez) ATOS

Official Scores: (126-120 Gomez) (124-123 Pintor) (125-121 Gomez)
    Winner: By 14th round Technical Knockout to retain the Super Bantamweight Championship of the World, Wilfredo Gomez.

This content is protected

A great fight and technical battle of big punchers all rolled up into one. Gomez by far the more active of the two was the 1 that took the most visible damage, and looked to be the one about ready to go. But the patient Lupe Pintor waited too long to try to put it away, and didn't remain active enough to have a chance on the scorecards. He kinda painted himself into a corner, and didn't have the gas when he needed to stand on the peddle.

Up Next: Rolando Navarrete vs Chang II Choi

13. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    only people who are “man” enough to produce their own scorecard are allowed to question someone elses! C’mon stop hiding! I know there is a 105 lb man behind that keyboard! C’mon let em fly!

14. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    This content is protected

15. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    David Gilmour, perhaps the most underrated guitar man around. Stephen Stills another great that people don’t talk about much.

The Morlocks likes this.