Fighters claiming to have Covid

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by simzed, Jul 24, 2021.

1. simzed

simzed New Member Full Member

Jan 25, 2013
    In the past couple of months we’ve seen a number of fighters pull out of scheduled bouts claiming to have either contracted Covid or that someone in their camp has it/could have it etc
    Tyson Fury, Teofimo Lopez, Michael Zerafa just off the top of my head, there are probably more. Anyways, Do you think that there is a chance at least a couple of these guys are using it as a convenient excuse to delay for more time, more cash, more suspense?

2. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I think the latest estimates are that 1 in 75 people are currently infected. So it wouldn't really surprise me that some of those are boxers.

Rumsfeld and sasto like this.
  3. sasto

sasto Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2020
    Both cases are pretty suspicious because both fights were business boondoggles.

It looks like the gambit of going to Triller may be backfiring.

4. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    I personally give them all the benefit of the doubt, there is a pandemic going on, would be more surprising if fewer boxers had caught Covid at this point.

Just look at the Olympics loads of athletes have caught Covid and I'm sure many more will. Apparently over 100 of the US team are not vaccinated so I expect at least a few of the US team to test positive during the games.

Rumsfeld likes this.
  5. Surrix

Surrix Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 16, 2020
    I think they will not die from this covid.
    Sorry, from casual seasonal viruses ppl too are dying sometimes, it is natural selection process.
    Society soon will not fear from this covid and maybe these tests too will not be done. I think it is waste of time and money, like all these masks etc nonsense.

6. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 banned Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    It will be treated like the average flu very soon.

If you get the flu in camp it does mess you over. You have to take a few days off to recover then reset.

You can lose 2/3 weeks of prime camp. It can drain you a little also. If you're a few weeks away from a fight it can be a big deal. Many fighters fight with Flu.

Difference here you need to test negative to fight which is simple enough

It's a great excuse to delay a fight in Fury Wilder case

Fury could have fought but is he going to compromise especially if Arum says lets delay it will work out better for us anyway. Fury realized training in 48 celcius Vegas heat was a misstep also.