Fighters of the Century per Futch/Dundee/Clancy/Duva/Chargin - The Welterweights.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by JohnThomas1, Jun 26, 2021.

1. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    The question was for Unforgiven in line with where our exchanging of idea's had gone so i could be clear on his lines of reasoning. Thanks for answering for him tho.

2. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    I said there were loads of people who thought he was the man. This was true. Someone like Morlocks would remember this well.

Dubious lineage or not Cuevas had been the WBA champion for 4 years and defended past double figures leaving behind a trail of destruction. He had a lot of supporters. Hearns ended him for good.

3. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Yes, that's why it's a great win. Still, at the time Hearns beat Cuevas, Duran had just defeated SRL in Montreal.
    And then after that, Hearns has not much else of significance on his resume.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  4. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Again living the era told us that Hearns left Welter after Leonard said he wouldn't be getting a rematch. This was well published at the time. He was willing and able to get under 147 again and indeed wanted that fight ASAP.

Curry and Starling had about 7 to 10 fights under their belt at the time Hearn's lost to Leonard and Stafford was busy losing to guys with 4 fights. Leonard refused a rematch and both Duran and Benitez were already gone from 147. The only way was up.

Charles is easily top 3.

You haven't really made a case for anyone above Hearns either, at any point. Why do you have Basilio and Ross above him?

5. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    He has a handful of wins over bona fide top 5 contenders with zero other losses. The overall package is enough to have him in many top 10's including McGrain's whose lists i find the best overall I've seen and I've scoured through every one of them.

6. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Let me get this straight. You don't have Hearns in your top 17 or worse?

7. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm not sure what Hearns not getting the rematch has to do with his resume at 147.
    We both agree he moved up. None of his fights after September 1981 were at welter.
    Regardless of Leonard, Hearns could have boosted his resume at welter against the guys I mentioned, or others, in the period in question (ie. 1982 and beyond). Which would put him higher up on an ATG welter list, resume-based. I'm not saying he should have. But it would give him a deeper resume at 147.

Which doesn't tell us anything about Hearns at welterweight.

I don't have Basilio ahead of him.

Ross, yes, i think so.
    Ross beat Billy Petrolle, who was a great fighter and rated #1 contender at welter.
    Ross beat McLarnin 2-1. McLarnin was a great welterweight who was coming off that 1st round KO over Young Corbett III.
    Ross beat Ceferino Garcia 3 times at welterweight. Garcia was a great fighter and a big puncher.
    Ross beat a few others, including Izzy Jannazzo, who was pretty good and rated at the time.

Hearns has Cuevas and then .... ? .... Clyde Gray and Angel Espada (who probably hadn't won a meaningful fight in almost 5 years) and Randy Shields maybe.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  8. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Based on resume alone, I don't think Hearns makes the cut.
    That doesn't mean Hearns has a poor resume or record at 147 pounds, it's just relative to the numerous fighters in the division who have better resumes.

That's the third time you've mentioned McGrain's list, JT. :lol:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    JohnThomas1 likes this.
  9. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I had him at #27.

greynotsoold likes this.
  10. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    I disagree. Both he and his opponent had to weigh 147 on the morning of the fight. I don't see how you can be a weight bully if you weigh the same as your opponent.

If Tommy was naturally bigger, that means he would have had to shed more weight, weakening himself in doing so. He won't regain a load of strength in 12 hours if the weight was unnaturally low for him. Advantage to his opponent, if anything.

11. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah, it's hard to 'properly' weight bully in a same day weigh-in era - although it is doable. Hearns was just a taller welterweight with a skinny frame. He wasn't a weight bully, and you can tell because he was able to shed extra weight for the Leonard fight.

12. cslb

cslb Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 27, 2014
    He was a “weight bully” that same day weighed in at 145 for the first Leonard fight. This “ weight bully” stuff is nonsense.

13. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    P4P all time ?

14. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    WW.

15. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    Let me get this right, so you're saying that you have Tommy Hearns as the 27 greatest welterweight of all time ?