Fighters that lost all their big fights

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Jay1990, Apr 16, 2018.

1. heerko koois

heerko koois Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
  2. Momus

Momus Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    De La Hoya started off at 130 and peaked between 135-140. All of his losses came at a weight where he was still very good but not quite the fighter he was at the lower weights.

Even with that said, he won the two biggest grudge fights of his career (Chavez and Vargas), edged Quartey and Whitaker, and was unlucky to be on the wrong end of decisions against Trinidad and Mosley (second time round). He pretty much dominated everyone on the rungs below great, at least until he got to middleweight anyway.

It's a fair comment that he didn't seize the day in some of his career defining fights, but he doesn't warrant inclusion with the names mentioned on this thread.

Sangria likes this.
  3. dinovelvet

dinovelvet Antifanboi Full Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Vitali Klitschko. One of very few guys who couldn't to take the torch as it was passed to him.

4. cleglue1

cleglue1 Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Okay he beat Ruddock and past prime Larry Holmes. Holyfield has his number no matter what. Tyson needed a win in at least 1 of those Holyfield fights.

5. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    The word great gets thrown around way too much today. It`s been cheapened. Oscar was a great star and an economy for the sport. He wasnt a great fighter. He had very good talent. I think changing trainers and having his dad looming over each stunted his development. He was very good but his shortcomings cost him too many fights IMO to be considered great.

6. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Exactly. I think his inactivity got to him. The Lopez fight was made last second, if I can remember. Then the DeLaHoya fight took a while after Oscar needed some time to heal following his rematch with Chavez. And then the bout with Vargas took another year and a half after DeLaHoya. Then retirement for what, 5 years?

Ike really did beat Forrest but didn't get the nod. I never saw Forrest so confused and out of sync. Ike also beat Verno Phillips officially, which might be his best win after Crisanto Espana.

7. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Corrie Sanders was a good win after getting rocked early and often. And Vitlay destroyed Kirk Johnson. But yeah, nothing special.

8. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Good response. Happy to be corrected.

9. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    The Spinks fight in 88 was the biggest fight of his career and at the time one of the anticipated and richest fights ever. The history making first title win against Berbick is not far behind in deciding which were the biggest fights of his career.

Shouldn't downplay the importance and historic significance of those 2 fights just because Tyson won them so easily.

Saad54 likes this.
  10. Jackstraw

Jackstraw Mercy for me, justice for thee! Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Miguel Cotto Lost to Margarito, Paq, Floyd and Clenelo when the stakes were the highest.

11. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Agreed

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018