Fighters that were beat before the fight.?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, May 11, 2017.

1. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    How would any change in his attitude towards the first Schmeling bout have overcome the consistent punishment he took for what, at the time, is widely accepted as having been an inherent weakness in the Louis armory?

I also think any idea that Louis didn't take the fight seriously is being overplayed. The odd passing comments, made much later, and a film clip or two of Louis at the golf course, do not make for a compelling argument. I don't think any excuses were being made for the loss, at the time.

Neither do I. Hence why I do not believe, at all, that he was a beaten man - before the fight.

2. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    I think you're just looking for an argument at this point tbh. Its not like I'm trying to explain rocket science, I'm just telling the facts that Joe Louis didn't take Schmeling seriously and didn't train as hard as a result. If you think that had nothing to do with his loss then ok because you're fully entitled to your opinion.

I'm out.

3. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    LOL - I was just looking for you to provide a reasoned argument to substantiate your initial claim - that Louis had been beat, before the fight (in his first encounter with Schmeling). How unfair of me.

But - never mind - you clearly cannot provide a rationale. Neither can you accept, it seems, that Schmeling's strategy was the primary factor in Louis' defeat.

The plain truth is that, in view of all the evidence, your claim is not a reasonable one. Louis was quite simply NOT a beaten Fighter, before he faced Schmeling in '36.

I'm more than happy to end this, rather than continue to read more of your unsuccessful attempts to justify your original claim. And, it really is a good job that you were not trying to explain rocket science.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  4. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Duran didn't look real confident before the Hearns fight.

Hookandjab likes this.
  5. sweetsci

sweetsci Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Although he fought pretty well, I think Gerry Cooney didn't truly believe he'd beat Larry Holmes. He was worried about going the distance, there was a ton of pressure on him to win, he knew he hadn't seen any quality action for a couple of years (if ever), the bout had already been postponed once, he was facing a great champion, Holmes was getting into his head (and would stay there for a few years after), etc.

Ruddock against Lewis. I recall reading, post-fight, that due to some previous encounter Ruddock was scared shirt-less of Lewis due to some previous encounter (amateur, sparring ??).

Sheldon against Tyson, obviously.

Fergy and The Morlocks like this.
  6. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Recently Rungvisai vs Gonzalez II.

7. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Michael Spinks. Thread should have been closed after OP mentioned him.

8. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    This all day. He looked scared.

Fergy likes this.
  9. Rope-a-Dope

Rope-a-Dope Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Most of the guys James Scott beat at Rahway.

JohnThomas1 likes this.
  10. Knights107

Knights107 Member Full Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Yes sheldon. Weird KO.

11. young griffo

young griffo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 18, 2006
    Albert Westphal was clearly sh1tting it big time stepping into the ring with Sonny Liston.

I can't blame him for it either.

12. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Michael Spinks as others would say, which is surprising since he was such a professional.

13. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Caveman Lee vs Marvin Hagler. A hard Hagler jab and the fight was all but over.
    Hagler tko in 67 sec.
    This content is protected

TheWorstEver(TWE) and Fergy like this.
  14. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Seldon
    Bruno (rematch)
    Stewart
    Berbick
    Spinks
    Holmes
    Tillman

Against Tyson all were either scared or resigned to losing and just there to collect a payday (Holmes, Spinks)

15. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Lol

Caveman Lee, best nickname ever. Him and Animal Fletcher was a great match up in the 80s just for the fight posters alone.

Jel likes this.