Fighters that were robbed more than 1 time

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by ideafix12, Jun 6, 2018.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Then its too close a fight to call it a robbery,imo.

2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Fitz sure! Carter? in which fights?

3. ronnyrains

ronnyrains Active Member Full Member

May 27, 2014
    Thanks Scartissue , thats a good rundown and I appreciate that you are one of the few on this boxing 24 that can actually talk boxing like a man, My point was Ali held Frazier and held and held and held some more, watch all three fights and keep an open mind, I did. nothing about a TKO or scoring Ali illegally held the whole fight. love how you ran down the boxing like it should be , and good points, I am far far from an Ali hater, they were all warriors in my book, best era heavyweights in my opinion. Ali beat 32 ranked or Champion world class figher's holding or not -LOL.

PS- Le Doux--Spinks ALSO LeDoux was kinda a hard luck fighter scoring wise.That Norton fight could easily have been stopped. And maybe I'm seeing things on Ali- Cooper you could not chane a glove in 11 seconds, they had to find a glove no? you can however change a tire at Indy in 5 seconds !-so good point.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  4. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Ronny, I forgot about the Spinks fight. Yeah, 4 controversials do sort of make one a hard-luck fighter. And I agree that the Norton fight could have been stopped and actually looked like it was going to be. Regarding the Ali-Cooper fight, Dundee himself said that Ali had a small tear in the glove and what he did was simply widen it for effect. He complained during the minute rest about the glove to buy more time, but the BBBC said they had no spares, so Dundee just said, OK, we'll just use these. Amazingly, they allowed it. So, no glove change and the interval lasted app. 11 seconds longer. One of those giant myths that have been out there and glamorized by the Bert Sugar's of boxing for decades.

5. Jake Speed

Jake Speed New Member Full Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Larry Holmes was robbed in the Spinks rematch and also (at the tail of his career) against Brian Nielsen.

rinsj and he grant like this.
  6. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    GGG against Canelo and that's the way it is.

7. ronnyrains

May 27, 2014
    Scartissue : Scott LeDoux I rooted against him every time, And i'm using an open mind, he was robbed a few times, He was visibly upset, they were gonna give a decision to Marty Monroe! Not that I did not like Scott, (Warrior)- just seemed he fought someone I was following better -I remember Mike Quarry vs Ned Hallacy . Mike left Wichita Ring that night, a winner, only to find out the next day they declared their bout a DRAW!

8. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    https://www.boxingforum24.com/threads/fight-of-the-week-8-pacquaio-marquez-i-and-ii.620893/

You should go to this thread and post your cards....I have Márquez winning 2-0-1 in the first 3 fights but still don’t feel they were robberies as there are multiple swing rounds in each fight. Does not seem like most of us still find them robberies in hindsight. Although I used to say they were lol

J Jones likes this.
  9. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Ronny, regarding Mike Quarry, yeah, he was a hard luck fighter. There were so many close decisions that went against him. I saw his fight with Billy (Kelly) Wagner, which was scored a draw and believe me, there was no way he didn't win that fight. It's funny when I think of Mike. Early in his career he was a very slick boxer. And, man, did my Dad hate him. He just didn't find his boxing style appetizing. But after the Bob Foster fight, there was a notable change in Mike's style. He started engaging in wars. At first I thought it was after-effects of the bad Foster KO and that he had lost a step with his defensive skills. But later I realized he was obviously trying to be more entertaining. The problem with this was Mike had no punch, but he did have a good jaw. But that equates to 10 hard rounds of fighting and this obviously didn't do his old noggin any good. Moreover he was now fighting on the road and dropping close decisions to the hometowner. Every so often I would see a flash of the old Mike Quarry skills when he beat Tom Bethea and Mike Rossman in their first bout, but then it was back in the trenches where he didn't belong. Sorry, just rambling here.

10. ronnyrains

May 27, 2014
    The Quarry brothers both attaind they number # 1 ranked contender in their respective weight divisions, and Jerry did it when there was no Champion! (1968).-I knew Mike personally very well, in Bakersfield California, he had a small restaurant his mother cooked and ran called "Quarry's Corner" Yes you either liked or hated his style, He would thumb in the eye early on, and that will turn off a crowd faster than anything!, except Golata! Mike had just enough of a punch to brawl consistantly with the best 20-30 Light Heavyweights in the world, An expert boxer was his true talent, and you were gonna get your monies worth at a Mike Quarry fight, And he did fight in the other guy's back yard all over the world! yet like Counterpunching Jerry , his instinct was to brawl!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    scartissue likes this.
  11. ronnyrains

May 27, 2014
    Mike Quarry -He did not make the big bucks like Jerry of course, But he eeked out a very good living at physically his own expense, really sad, because he did not have the punch to give punishment, yet he sure had the whisker's to take punishment! he was a name and a star in an extremely tough world and business, to say the least, and What a great guy besides it all!

scartissue likes this.
  12. elmaldito

elmaldito Skillz Full Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Whitaker
    Lara
    Bhop
    Winky Wright