Fighters that you would describe as "jack of all trades"

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Flo_Raiden, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Who would you say are guys that you would describe as "jack of all trades, master of none" fighters? Fighters who are skilled, versatile, and well rounded who are good in all departments but aren't very particularly great at any of them. This includes being able to box, brawl, and counter but with average to good offense, defense, power, speed, jab, footwork, reflex, chin, body punching, combinations, in-fighting, counter punching skills, etc.
    Pretty much guys that aren't known for any particular asset but can have great ring intelligence, distance, and timing to rely on.

Timothy Bradley comes to mind when I think of "jack of all trades". Not the hardest puncher, can be hit and dropped, but can fight at any style, counter, box, and slug.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Bronze Tiger and SambaKing1993 like this.
  2. Bronze Tiger

Bronze Tiger Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Emile Griffith. Timothy Bradley reminds me of Griffith

red cobra likes this.
  3. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Tim Bradley is absurdly overrated on here. Absurdly! The truth is, technically speaking, Bradley wasn't especially skilled. It's a myth that he was. His technique was actually pretty sloppy.

My answer would be Carlos Ortiz. Very good at literally every facet of the game which made him a great, but not a huge puncher, and didn't have blazing speed or great reflexes.

Watch Carlos Ortiz then tell me that sloppy ass Tim Bradley is "skilled".

Jay1990 likes this.
  4. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I think Evander Holyfield could be the most complete fighter ever IMO.

He had all the qualities and showed most of them against much bigger fighters, P4P a genuine ATG.

BCS8, Jay1990, Contro and 2 others like this.
  5. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Jack Sharkey.

Bronze Tiger likes this.
  6. Flo_Raiden

Oct 12, 2010
    Not sure why you seem offended of me complimenting Bradley's skill sets but we can agree to disagree. Me saying that Bradley is a pretty good (not GREAT) fighter with good skills is by no means overrating him at all. I just think that Bradley showed enough versatility in his game to be worth mentioning, whether you think he looks sloppy or not.

I find Andre Ward very ugly to watch but I won't deny his well rounded abilities and skill sets. He's another guy I would call "jack of all trades".

7. rski

rski Well-Known Member Full Member

May 12, 2013
    Riddick Bowe could box and slug it out, he could also fight at range and had decent in fighting skills for a big man. He had power and a decent chin as well. He was a slick all round fighter, one of the reasons I think he would have out boxed Lennox Lewis in the early 90s.

Pat M and Bronze Tiger like this.
  8. SambaKing1993

SambaKing1993 Don't do it Zachary! Full Member

Sep 17, 2018
  9. Flo_Raiden

Oct 12, 2010
    But Larry Holmes had a GREAT jab though..
    I think Holyfield is a good shout out.

Pat M likes this.
  10. SambaKing1993

Sep 17, 2018
    Ok, fair.

Julian Jackson

11. Minotauro

Minotauro Boxing Addict Full Member

May 22, 2007
    Jackson had great power. I think Cotto is a jack of all trades not necessary a master of any while still being a top boxer in his time.

Glass City Cobra and Contro like this.
  12. SambaKing1993

Sep 17, 2018
    Fair.

George Chuvalo

13. The Undefeated Lachbuster

The Undefeated Lachbuster I check this every now and then Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Evander Holyfield
    Max Schmeling
    John L Sullivan

14. Pat M

Pat M Active Member Full Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Agree with that, if EH had a weakness, it was that he was too competitive. When an opponent hit him, EH tried to hit them back harder, sometimes giving up his advantages in speed, and boxing skill to brawl. But being too competitive and fighting hard puts fans in the seats.

EH could fight at all ranges, he had excellent footwork, he could do it all and his fundamentals and technique were textbook.

Bronze Tiger likes this.
  15. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    What about Michael Spinks. He seemed to always find a way to win whether he had to Box (Qawi) or Slug (Cooney). He always adapted his awkward style and did what he needed to do. Except against that one guy from Brooklyn.

Bronze Tiger likes this.