Fighters who entered the ring to bagpipes

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mr. magoo, Jul 18, 2007.

1. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Okay, not exactly a thread about boxing per say, but I just figured that as long as we talk about pretty much everything here anyway, that I'd throw this one out there.

What fighters can you name who entered the ring, marching to bagpipes? My guess is that most of them were white, and either scottish or Irish. I myself, am a bagpipe player for a marching band.

I remember in 1990, I saw heavyweight prospect Seamus Mcdonaugh march into the ring with Evander Holyfield to bagpipe music.

( The music didn't prevent poor Seamus from taking the worst beating of his life. )

2. mexman

mexman New Member Full Member

Jun 8, 2007
    I don't know for sure but I would guess Ken Buchanan and Jim Watt. Can't think of any others right now.

3. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Southside Slugger Full Member

Dec 30, 2005
  4. bigG

bigG Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 8, 2006
    sure benn, hamed.....and maybe tyson did when they fought in glasgow....

5. Irish Steel

Irish Steel Active Member Full Member

Jun 22, 2007
    maybe mcguigan, maybe john duddy

6. thunder06

thunder06 Active Member Full Member

Jun 10, 2006
    didnt micky ward enter the ring with bagpipes a couple times?

7. john garfield

john garfield Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2004
    His name escapes me, but there was a light heavyweight -- I think in the early '70s -- who wore a kilt and a tartan plaid robe into the ring, accompanied by bagpipes. He also wore plaid trunks.

Buchannan's outfit and entrance was pretty much the same, except I can't recall if he was accompanied by bagpipes.

8. Duodenum

Duodenum Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 18, 2007
    JG, is it at all possible that you're thinking of Murray Sutherland? (Just hazarding a guess here.)

9. john garfield

Aug 5, 2004
    Bullseye! D

10. Duodenum

Apr 18, 2007
    Very pleased I could help.

Murray Sutherland was about as Scottish as they come, yet he never boxed in Scotland professionally, competing almost exclusively in the U.S.A. (where he was a very popular character). First achieved prominence as a LH contender, dropped down to MW after being repelled in pair of LH title challenges, then drew with Robbie Sims on Sims's turf (where Sutherland actually got the crowd behind him).

Before he finished his career, Sutherland won the IBF SMW Championship (where he earned his 15 round stripes against Ernie Singletary), and USBA SMW Title (with a fine 12 round TKO win over Wilford Scypion). A good solid world class performer for many years. One of only two professionals to rematch with Mike Spinks (Larry Holmes of course being the other).

11. barneyrub

barneyrub Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 2, 2004
    rowdy roddy piper lol, ok yeah wrestling.
    Im sure they did a big entrance with pipes one time for amir kahn in Glasgow.

12. john garfield

Aug 5, 2004
    You must be retired off what you've made in bar bets.

13. Duodenum

Apr 18, 2007
    Retired very early, yes. Off of bar bets, no. (I'm too emotional to view things dispassionately enough for betting well. But I did work as a bartender briefly.)