Fighters Who Gained Your Respect After A Loss.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Tramell, Sep 17, 2019.

1. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    George after he lost to Holy. Holy was the MAN at the time, and there were murmurings among more than a few people at the time that he could take Mike.

George decidedly lost, but anyone who watches the film will see it was in no way a shut out. George really got up for the fight, Holy was just simply in his prime and super hot.

At that time it was quite the win for Holy, as George only lost to Young and Ali before that.

Holmes-McCall: Larry from what I saw was winning the fight by the ninth round. It says a lot both for Larry's endurance and heart that he kept standing after McCall hit him with that Lewis-destroying right. He wasn't the same after that, and his age kept him from rallying. The Holy-fighting Larry probably would have beat him...too much time had gone on by the time of the fight.

Tramell likes this.
  2. Zhuge Liang

Zhuge Liang Active Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2018
    Manny Pacquiao. He lost to Erik Morales is their first fight. But I was so impressed and touched by his determination, his perseverence and his indomitable spirit. He fought like a lion. After that, I become his fan.

Tramell likes this.
  3. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Plenty come to mind

Campbell vs Loma
    Chisora vs Whyte twice
    Hunter vs Usyk
    Ruiz vs Parker
    Parker vs Whyte

4. Slowhand

Slowhand Member Full Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Provodnikov vs Bradley.

Ph33rknot likes this.
  5. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Sergio Martinez against Paul Williams 1
    Maidana against Khan
    Gamboa against Crawford
    Trout against Canelo
    Keith Thurman against Pac
    Derevychenko against Jacobs

Ph33rknot likes this.
  6. Eel87

Eel87 Active Member Full Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Linares vs Demarco and Loma.
    Wlad vs AJ
    Ruiz vs Parker
    Just some recent ones

7. Veys9

Veys9 Let's go Champ! Full Member

Aug 30, 2018
    Rivas vs Whyte my favorite
    Povetkin vs Joshua

8. Tramell

Tramell Hypocrites Love to Pray & Be Seen. Mathew 6:5 Full Member

Sep 21, 2012
    You are correct. Do we not live in a day, where fighters who lose are generally labeled as 'exposed' or 'overhyped' and of course 'cherry picking gone wrong?'

I agree with you, this shouldn't be the case, but it is for many. What better example than Joshua's loss-- look at the heat we are putting on him, on this forum alone! He's done. Exposed.

9. Tramell

Sep 21, 2012
    @testez After reading my post to you, I can say, I didn't gain an ounce of respect for AJ in his loss, like Pac's loss to Morales.

AJ dropped The King Of Snickers only to get dropped himself. No ebb n flow, just get dropped, outboxed, dropped again, then beat up. Not saying he is done. Or can't win, just that he got whooped, from his 1st knockdown until...

Pac IMO won 4 to 5 rounds in his loss to Morales --he gave almost as much as he took.

Even fighters like Kessler who I think lost almost every round against Calzaghe gained my respect because of how he lost. He never really got outboxed, he got outhustled, while maintaining a level of skill that had to be respected.

10. ellerbe

ellerbe It’s a Tank world Full Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Wlad vs Aj was a good one, although Wlad lost, he will be remembered for giving the best HW bouts I've seen live, and for many others. If he retired after the Fury loss, that would have just been a bad look.

Eel87 and Tramell like this.
  11. Beouche

Beouche Juan Manuel Marquez Full Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Callum Johnson vs the Beterbeast

MidniteProwler likes this.
  12. wutang

wutang Active Member Full Member

Mar 10, 2012
    As much as I hate to say it, I respected broner more after the maidana fight. I thought he was going to crumble.

Tramell likes this.
  13. Tramell

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah, hate to say too! But he took his whoopin like a man. Reminds me just a tad bit of Camacho vs JCC. I didn't dislike Hector, just thought he was a fast flashy southpaw with minimum power, But by the end of that fight, I knew he could have done like Morales Pac III and bail out, but he took his beatdown, had to give him his props.

I respect the way Broner lost to Maidana, but I praised Marcos for that humbling performance. Only thing missing was for him to ram Adrian's head into the turnbuckle like MAB on Hamed. Humble him totally!~

14. testez

testez Member Full Member

Jul 16, 2008
    and you are right not to.. aj quit in this one.

Tramell likes this.
  15. Belfast

Belfast Member Full Member

Sep 2, 2019
    I didn't see him take any whupping like a man I saw him hump his opponent, get battered humped and made to run out of the ring holding his poor swollen jaw crying with his yes men handlers holding his hand, we've now seen that Broner is happy to coast in any fight he can't win. Nobody has given a single **** about Broners career since that night, he didn't take anythinb like a man, Maidana took his soul

Tramell likes this.