Fighters who hit harder than their record suggests

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by sas6789, Nov 19, 2019.

1. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    FWIW, I think there are probably tons of modern fighters who would have more knockouts (and losses) if they were willing to open up more and get into the high-action slugfests that were more common among their predecessors.

2. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Carlos Monzon
    Harold Johnson
    George Benton
    Miguel Lora

3. Bukkake

Bukkake Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Were there really more high-action slugfests in the old days? Or do we just like to think there were - because what we today can study of the old-timers (say before WW2) on film, is only the best of the best? Not a whole lot of journeymen just going through the motions in boring matches.

I think, that only being familiar (on film) with the top boxers, and the lack of footage of "normal", down-the-bill fights from the old days... may give us a false (or at least not complete) picture, of what the overall boxing scene actually looked like.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  4. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Fair points though I actually wasn't referring to the fighters of the distant past specifically. I'm over-generalizing but even if we just compare the top fighters of the past 20 years or so to the top fighters of the 1970s and 1980s, I think that there are some noticeable stylistic and strategic differences.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  5. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I'm wondering how many fights we've seen like Prior-Arguello I and Bowe-Holyfield I since.

6. Boxing2019

Boxing2019 If you want peace, prepare war. Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    In the KOs record of the Great Middle Julian Jackson many opponents beaten by Wilder are missing and probably the same Wilder too

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  7. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Renaldo Snipes
    Mike Weaver

8. Bukkake

Bukkake Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I thought Corrales-Castillo I was rather exciting.

If we're talking pure non-stop action, Sithchatchaval-Monshipour will be hard to top.

And just a couple of weeks ago, there was a pretty decent fight in Japan!

9. Mike Gould

Mike Gould Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2017
    James "Bonecrusher" Smith. Late starter who never really developed the technique to set up his powerful punches. When he did land, it was usually big trouble for his opponents in upsets of Mike Weaver, Tim Witherspoon and undefeated Frank Bruno. Even in losing efforts against opponents like Marvis Frazier and Mike Tyson, he either dropped or stunned them when he caught them clean.