Fighters who would have done really well in the twenty-five round era. NO HEAVYWEIGHTS.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by McGrain, Jul 3, 2021.

1. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    After all the slander you've put on him, i'm surprised you can even say his name.

You're right though - might be the best pick from the forties? Who from the forties would you put before him? Absurdly tough, impossible to knockout, injury proof, savage, a very hard fighter later in fights. The only thing is I think he gets a bit carried away with his own violence sometimes? Might limit him if you could draw him in to something odd - you could see some lightweights murdering him late maybe?

What about Lou Ambers? Same, but slightly less so?

Kamikaze and George Crowcroft like this.
  2. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    What about Henry Armstrong? Surely you'd feel comfortable backing him?

louis54 and HolDat like this.
  3. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Saldivar seems made for the long haul. Look at how he let them fly in the final three rounds and just took over. Insane workrates. Sanchez and Arguello have been mentioned, but I reckon Pedroza would do just as well. Although I think his weight making issues could be underlined in other eras. He isn't making FW if it's the old 122 limit, and I doubt he'd even be able to make 133 ringside.

Vince Phillips? The thought of him pressurring him for 25 sounds horrid, even for an unbelievable boxer. What was it? 235 punches in the twelfth round once? Yeah, **** that :lol:

I suppose from another angle, Vasyl Lomachenko would be hell over such a long distance. Remember when everyone was going nuts about how he improved over the course of a fight, 'downloading' information and applying it in new ways every round. Consider how unbelievable he can be in the final few rounds (Salido, Russel, Campbell, Pedraza, Linares, Lopez, etc) and that the extra distance just gives him more time to really get into his groove and figure his man out and you've got a guy who's gonna be hell over 25. The only thing which gives me pause is that he books the trend of having a great chin. And he seems a little tender in the mid section. That said, he's shown the heart to fight through injury, and IMO, he's shown he has plenty of versatility when he needs it.

The granite-type who look to break you down would be murder over twenty-five. Already posted Saddler, but Chavez, Pryor, Armstrong, (154) McCallum, Borkhorsor, Laciar, Yuh, Hagler, Vito, Loi, Angott, Jack, Ortiz, etc; they're all good for it.

I think two well-rounded guys who'd be great over twenty-five, and really thrived in most areas, are Barney Ross and Carlos Ortiz would do extremely well, too. Both would be able to tough out hard moments, would appreciate the extra time to fine tune any strategies, get their timing down, find and set a comfortable place and just have those extra few rounds they could throw away (if needed, although given how good at ring generalship they were, I doubt they'd have to) to get into the rhythm and warm up.

Clinton, Kamikaze, META5 and 2 others like this.
  4. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I’ll throw out three names that come to mind:

Dwight Muhammad Qawi — not a total swarmer but a high-output guy with a ton of will-power and determination, plus hard to hit clearly and wear down.

Ray Leonard — always finished strong and supremely adaptable.

Juan Laporte — durable, you weren’t going to knock him out and in that steady-as-she-goes mold that wasn’t going to wear himself out with his measured output.

Smokin Bert, Clinton, META5 and 4 others like this.
  5. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Roberto Duran and Henry Armstrong are the first two non-heavies that come to mind that could keep an unparalleled work rate for 15 rounds and not even look tired at the end. So I think both could go 25 rounds.

Clinton and George Crowcroft like this.
  6. McGrain

Mar 21, 2007
    Now you're thinking boys. I'll be in tomorrow to delete any heavyweight related posts.

This content is protected

7. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Slander :lol: I have him as a top two feather and likely top five head-to-head.

I think he probably is the best pick from the 40s, which is one major accomplishment. He can proudly take his blue ribbon him to his mam and tell her what he's capable of, but will never have a chance to do. Nah, I don't think any LWs would murder him late. I think he'd do very well, and I reckon that in that era, he may have to fight at lightweight more than feather. I actually reckon he'd have a decent chance at beating Gans over twenty-five.

I'm not particularly familiar with Ambers' style. I mean, I've seen him vs Armstrong but everyone deviated from their style vs Hank. Dunno, I'll take your word for it.

8. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    James Toney? He could be a real menace late on.

9. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Yes but when you get to men who never went beyond twelve rounds, it becomes a bit of a puzzle.

10. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Shawn Porter
    Iran Barkley

Toney F*** U likes this.
  11. louis54

louis54 Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Armstrong, petrolle, kaplan, off the top of my head

12. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Saldivar, Pedroza. Pintor too. Louis too, not because he was so incredibly durable but he knew pace, and how to retain power and technique late.

META5 likes this.
  13. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    I agree it's hard to say. Even Hammering Hank, while he certainly has the physical traits, would need to change his style a lot for that era.

Frank Erne said the last 5 rounds of a 25 rounder were absolute hell. Then again, some psycho's seemed to thrive on those last few rounds.

As well as stamina, Ring IQ and toughness, I think power, and a long reach are very important traits

George Crowcroft and louis54 like this.
  14. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Winky Wright comes to mind. He always fought at a measured, controlled pace and was very defensively sound. Due to his lack of KO power he almost always was going the distance.

Another aspect of Wright that doesn't get mentioned much is how badly he beat guys up. He didn't knock them out but he punished and wore guys out with that jab.

Clinton, META5 and George Crowcroft like this.
  15. Samtotheg

Samtotheg Active Member Full Member

May 4, 2021
    Im seeing some henry armstrong , I do not think so the punch output for fights back then were a lot slower , it was a lot of wrestling not so much non stop punching. Faster paced guys would be gassed out by round 20 etc.