Fighters with incredible power who didn't use it

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by cross_trainer, Mar 26, 2022.

1. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Who are the fighters who hit extremely hard, and by all rights could have been devastating punchers, but instead chose to box in conservative, unexciting fashion?

HolDat likes this.
  2. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Emile Griffith was said to be a hard puncher prior to the
    Benny Paret fight. However his record doesn't suggest it.

3. Barrf

Barrf Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2021
    Lennox Lewis to an extent.

HolDat, northpaw, Rakesh and 7 others like this.
  4. michael mullen

michael mullen Active Member Full Member

Oct 28, 2021
    Dlck Tiger...he went for decisions more and more in the latter stages of his career for some reason.

LoadedGlove, Rakesh, TipNom and 4 others like this.
  5. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
  6. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    There was this guy who shook Ron Lyle to the core with one punch, damaging Ron far more with one blow than even the mighty George Foreman could.

The same fella left hooked Oscar Bonavena onto ***** Street, achieving more with one hook than even left hooker extraordinaire, Joe Frazier, managed to achieve with dozens of his legendary bombs.

As a 22 year old kid, he had Sonny Liston more dazed than the noted bomber, Cleveland Williams, had ever managed in either ofmhis two attempts.

Just as well for heavyweights everywhere that Ali preferred to float like a butterfly. He might have become something quite special if he'd worked on his punching a bit more.

7. Eddie Ezzard

Jan 19, 2016
    Other than that, the more obvious answers are the likes of Ezzard Charles, Emile Griffith and (don't s******) Chris Eubank, all of whom put the brakes on their power after ring deaths/near fatalities. Maybe add Nigel Benn to that list.

@Flash24 you mentioned Emile and his record doesn't suggest a power puncher but he did put Dick Tiger down. Did anyone else outside of Bob Foster - with one of the best punches of one of the best punchers of a full two traditional weight classes higher than Emile - turn that trick? You're right in saying his record belies his power but I think it must have been there, largely unused but there.

michael mullen and Flash24 like this.
  8. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Adrian Broner actually hits pretty hard when he lets his hands go. Two things ruined it: attempting to be a discount Mayweather, and being scared to let his hands go after Maidana destroyed his confidence.

Look at the Shawn Porter fight, you see for a brief moment the power Broner used to have with tbag vicious left hook which dropped Porter. Had he let his hands go earlier, he might have actually stopped Porter which would have been extremely impressive.

HolDat, Rakesh, TipNom and 2 others like this.
  9. Flash24

Oct 22, 2015
    I'm sure it was. Most sports writers of the era said he could hit hard.
    I've watched many of his old fights, his technique was excellent.
    (But so was Howard Davis Jr.) From what I've seen theirs no
    reason he couldn't ,

Eddie Ezzard likes this.
  10. michael mullen

michael mullen Active Member Full Member

Oct 28, 2021
    Frankie DePaula in their lightheavy bout right afer the Foster ko-by, decked Tiger twice, and also was decked twice by the Tiger man enroute to Tiger's 12 round decision victory.

11. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    After his stoppage losses, Waldo was hesitant to use his ridiculous power. Jack Johnson is another who often did just enough to win but when put to the task had real power.

12. Eddie Ezzard

Jan 19, 2016
    What do you reckon about Howard? Think he could have been a bit more of a banger and, if so, what stopped him? Don't really know much about him so I'd welcome your thoughts (or anyone else's for that matter), old chap.

13. Flash24

Oct 22, 2015
    Davis had excellent technique, but he rarely set his feet.
    So I digress and would say he had excellent LOOKING
    technique.

Eddie Ezzard likes this.
  14. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    One of the best comments here. Guy had very underrated power but didn't use it too much

15. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I think Michael Nunn occasionally showed that he could bang a bit, but was otherwise a pure boxer.

Boxingfan2, northpaw, Fergy and 2 others like this.