Fighters with incredible power who didn't use it

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by cross_trainer, Mar 26, 2022.

1. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Cheers Eddie. Davis and Rosario were my two favorite lightweights at the time so i was pretty deep into them. While not Macbeth Davis never winning a title was a little tragedy for me.

2. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    If you look back at Whitakers title fights, he actually knocked down alot of opponents but never really went in for the kill.

Expect when he was behind vs Hurtado. That fight showed how dangerous Whitaker could be, when he turned into seek and destroy mode.

Clinton and Saintpat like this.
  3. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Oooh. @cross_trainer Shane Mosley. Man kept his guns holstered for entire fights sometimes, holding off on the wrist breaker shots for little pew pew pew taps. Weird case of a guy with from what I can tell had a great chin but refused to engage. He did lose something after leaving 135lbs.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
    cross_trainer likes this.
  4. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    He was a lovely, gentle guy by all accounts. I think there was a write up on him and his dad around the Jim Watt fight by Hugh McIlvanney, arguably Britain's second greatest writer after the guy you referenced in your post above.

I liked Chapo too. Something about his bouncy style appealed and I was hoping he could rebound after the Chavez mauling.

Clinton and JohnThomas1 like this.
  5. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    He was a pretty good trainer too was Howard from all accounts. Hugh was always good.

Poor Edwin was never the same after Chavez even if he did win two more titles. All he had left was the punch and oh my what a punch. I'd like to know exactly when the drug and alcohol abuse set in too as that would not have overly helped.

Clinton likes this.
  6. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    I think he was generally inspired by Ali when it came to toying with his opponents.

Rakesh and Bronze Tiger like this.
  7. Mike Cannon

Mike Cannon Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Good point buddy, heard a podcast featuring Nunn the other day, a up to date one, and he was lamenting that the scribes and fighter's of his day were adamant he couldn't punch, and was a light puncher, he went on to say out of the 8 champs ( not bad ) he beat, only 3 went the distance ! so deceiving puncher in some ways... stay safe amigo.

mr. magoo likes this.
  8. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Yep. Didn’t want to hurt his hand

TBooze likes this.
  9. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Yes. Botha and Golota too.

10. DJN16

DJN16 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Joe protected his hands no doubt. However it's also a case of defining 'incredible' power.

11. Rope-a-Dope

Rope-a-Dope Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Benitez had power when he wanted to. The Maurice Hope KO is just brutal.

12. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Opposed to popular belief "The Hurricane" got turned into "The Breeze" when faced with adversity, he went gun shy against Tiger and didn't want to commit to anything that'd get him hurt/countered. I'd seen one other of his fights can't remember who it was again but he kept his hands in the holster.

13. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Cus confirmed this.

Rope-a-Dope likes this.
  14. Kosst Amojan

Kosst Amojan Active Member banned Full Member

Dec 14, 2021
    Sven Ottke could hit pretty hard, had more single-punch power than Arthur Abraham, but barely used it.

15. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Jose Luis Lopez. He wouldnt let his hands go. Ike Quartey barely survived.