Fighters You Love To Hate?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by salsanchezfan, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Okay that explains it. Do you dislike Ali for doing the same thing, every worse?

2. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    You better believe it..I despised the man. Nothing has changed on that front. Add to the fact I'm a Frazier guy and I researched that relationship pretty deep. Ali got a pass on everything eventually which I think is total BS

3. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007

Agreed Ali got a pass in and out of the ring. After seeing almost all of Ali's fights, I think he's overrated as a boxer and underrated in terms of mental strength and durability.

4. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    TBH I never even gave him that much thought or even watched him all that much except for FOTC Norton fights and a couple pre exile. He will always in my mind be a hypocrite a bigot who got away with saying so many racial things that if it were someone else it would have amounted to career suicide.
    If he couldn't own the spotlight he would just get meaner and nastier. I just have no time for him then or now.

5. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Just as a general rule, I disliked fighters that came from big stables, like Kronk or the Duva puppy mill. It was akin to the Cobra Kai club in The Karate Kid, or so it seemed to me. Boxing to me represented individuality and this "team " concept flew in the face of that.

6. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Rock Newman was a racist garbage can with legs.

robert ungurean and young griffo like this.
  7. Arminius1

Arminius1 Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2019
    Let me add Michael "second to' Nunn. He looked to thin to be the Middleweight champion to me.

8. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    You hated him because he was thin?

9. Arminius1

Arminius1 Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2019
    No he was thought to be invincible, that's why I didn't like him.

10. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Recently it's been Andre Ward and Paulie Malignaggi. Can't stand those 2, especially Malignaggi.

robert ungurean likes this.
  11. sweetsci

sweetsci Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 22, 2008
    With me there are very few boxers I dislike. I do hate the despicable human being types: the murderers and rapists already mentioned.

But I'm not at all a fan of the people like Don King, Jose Sulaiman, Gilberto Mendoza, Bob Lee, Bob Arum... Guys responsible for splitting titles, corrupt ratings, 12 round world title fights, excessive weight classes and belts, suspicious mandatories, boxing going to PPV, and top fighters not fighting each other.

That boxing is doing fairly well in spite of these guys and their actions is surprising. But boxing used to be the second most popular sport in the U.S. Big fights were held in outdoor baseball stadiums before these guys came along. The man on the street knew who the champions were before these guys came along.

I can't help but think that if boxing were better organized and better run it would be a much bigger sport than it is today. And a much bigger sport means more money. Unfortunately, the powers that be in boxing don't have the vision to see this.

12. Rainer

Rainer Active Member Full Member

May 2, 2019
    I detest Adrien Broner.

13. Grapefruit

Grapefruit Active Member Full Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Absolutely could not stand prince nazzeem hammed, **** that guy and everything he stands for, loved it when Barrera humbled him, I still watch that fight every now and them for shits and giggles.

Rainer likes this.