Fighting Style

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by JH1997, Feb 11, 2021.

1. JH1997

JH1997 New Member Full Member

May 19, 2019
    From watching old school and new school fighters, how much do you base your style on them? If so who?

Or do you tend to develop your own style based on your own attributes/skills?

I do find that a lot of these fighters are extremely gifted and far more athletic than most. Having tried to replicate some of SRL footwork and some of the shots Roy Jones through it just doesn’t work for me. So I tend to stick to a lot of my own basic shots but do take some small things from fighters, like Marquez rotated jab which is something anyone could do with enough practice.

2. oiky

oiky Gypsy Boy Full Member

Jan 17, 2014
    For me,replicating a fighters style never works

You have to work with your own strengths,get better in your weaker areas, and have a trainer that can spot what you're strong points are and build on them to suit your style even more

You can incorporate certain bits a fighter does into your style,but Be You, replicating a fighter a lot of the time ends in losses

doxortho and joe brown like this.
  3. Likethembigroundchunky

Likethembigroundchunky Member Full Member

Nov 2, 2019
    Inspiration i think is a better word for me i think.

I do think its important for people to try out various "styles" rather than be pigeonholed into the amateur style. You take what works for you.

joe brown likes this.