Fights in Extreme Conditions

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by salsanchezfan, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Alberto Davila defeated Enqique Sanchez during a rainstorm.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  2. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Robinson-Maxim, Graziano-Zale II, and Lee-LoCicero were all fought in very hot conditions.

3. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Here's another one dealing with thin air.

Raul Macias 118 lbs beat Leo Espinosa 116 lbs by KO at 2:57 in round 10 of 15

• Date: 1956-03-25
    • Location: Plaza de Toros, Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico
      "Raul 'Raton' Macias knocked out Leo Espinosa in the 10th round yesterday to retain his NBA bantamweight crown and now would like to take on Robert Cohen, recognized as champion by the European Boxing Federation. Espinosa would like a return bout, but in his own country, while voicing the same complaint of many athletes performing in this mile and a half high altitude. Espinosa was obviously tired after the 7th, as he said, for he had already taken a pummeling from Macias in the stomach and ribs and his own blows were losing their effect. He was almost floored in the 8th with two rights in the face and then took a terrific blow to the ribs. It was another blow to the same place and a right to the head that put him down for the full count at 2:57 of the 10th round."
      • Post fight comments
      • "If yesterday's fight had been in Manila, things would have been different. I was without air from the 7th round on." -Leo Espinosa
      • "With this fight I have shown my class. If Robert Cohen makes up his mind that he wants to fight me, he can come look for it now." -Raul Macias

4. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Leonard-Duran III was held outdoors in Las Vegas in early December — the Mirage opened like a week or so earlier and put in a huge bid to win the host rights.

It has been described as ‘cold’ and ‘chilly,’ and the Associated Press reported it being ‘about 60 degrees,’ But Larry Merchant is wearing a scarf ringside and you can see people dressed for cool winter weather.

Leonard wore heavier ring-walk gear (as in more like a coat than a robe) and didn’t take it off until after introductions. Duran looked cold, as in not warmed up, and never did seem to warm up. In his corner you can see them using an ice pack on his neck. Leonard, meanwhile, is wrapped in blankets to keep his body warm.

This is right after Duran beat Iran Barkley so there was some intrigue whether Stone Hands could summon his magic again for a fight billed, cleverly, as ‘Uno Mas.’ But he froze, haha.

5. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Gene Tunney defeated Jack Dempsey for the title in Sept 1926 during what they called "a driving rain"...at Sesquicentennial Stadium.

6. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I was thinking of Patterson Ellis, when I clicked this thread. Not sure if the temps but I do remember steam coming out of their mouths during the fight, so it was chilly at the least.

scartissue likes this.
  7. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Sharkey vs Jeffries was fought under huge lighting to film the fight. These lamps were not LEDs we have today, they were oldschool lamps thay create a lot of heat. Supposedly, Jeffries lost most of his hair due to that.

8. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Clyde Gray fought there once or twice and one of the times was either during or after a storm and he had to be carried from his dressing room all the way up into the ring so he didn't cover his boots in muck before the fight.

9. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    I think that was 50s, so I'm not sure if that would count. For some I guess it would.