Fights So Bad You Couldn't Finish Them

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by salsanchezfan, Sep 23, 2022.

1. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    I stopped the GGG/Canelo fight at Round 2 or 3. Way too boring.

salsanchezfan likes this.
  2. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
  3. djanders

djanders Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 21, 2009
    II start watching a fight, I always finish watching it, unless something in my life stops me, and that's only happened twice so far.

Levook and salsanchezfan like this.
  4. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    I'm assuming you mean the 3rd fight ? Honestly I've always thought their fights are very overrated. I've never thought any of the fights have that "wow" factor.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    HolDat and salsanchezfan like this.
  5. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Fair call. I maybe should watch it again. I certainly can appreciate displays of nuanced genius - perhaps on the day I was hoping for some more fireworks.

Not to discredit Benitez but Duran seemed lethargic within himself - but maybe that was all down to Wilfredo’s performance. Duran apparently trained very hard for that fight.

I do remember however Duran kept shaking his arms as if they were seizing up on him and he wasn’t able to punch as energetically as normal. Again, you can never divorce the effect of the opposition from such things. Swinging and missing a lot wouldn’t have done Roberto any favours.

6. Levook

Levook Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 26, 2020
  7. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Never seen it. No intention of doing so. Fury resembles a wall of mud in the ring. Can't stand watching him.

8. Levook

Aug 26, 2020
    "A wall of mud" ROFL

9. Levook

Aug 26, 2020
    But he's so quick! Moves so well! Better feet than Ali! A virtual caveman! A huge strong HW! He's.......

Oh no, sorry, I meant Joe Joyce.

salsanchezfan and Pugguy like this.
  10. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    More of a technical trilogy. Neither guy wanted to be taken out. The "wow" factor was more about the results/legacy.

Levook and Dynamicpuncher like this.
  11. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    LOL, no aspersions on Joyce but these days, just one decent performance/fight will do it - suddenly you’re an ATG beating all and sundry through boxing history.

IMO, a reaction symptomatic of an audience starved of consistently supplied, fair quality.

What is simply a better than average performance immediately becomes the greatest thing since sliced bread.

In today’s scene, the best new news often becomes old fake news awfully quick.

Frequency and duration of upheld quality are notions of a dusty, carved in stone tablets past.

JunlongXiFan and Levook like this.
  12. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004
    Tried sitting through one of the Alvarez-GGG fights, don't remember which. Made it to about the third round.

Levook and HolDat like this.
  13. ChrisJS

ChrisJS Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I classify those fights thus:

fight I - stinker. 2/10
    Fight II - improved action but an average at best fight. 5/10
    Fight III - epic stinker. 1/10

Levook and salsanchezfan like this.
  14. grantsorenson

grantsorenson Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2021
    I like the second fight the most because it's the first time that someone stood in front of GGG and was daring him to come and go to war. 3G had this big rep as a puncher and canelo was criticised for running and getting a decision he didn't deserve in the first fight. Nobody expected canelo to be taking the center of the ring and pushing GGG back.

15. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004
    One awful thing that remember nodding off in the middle of actually was Murray Sutherland-Wilford Scypion. Dreadful.