Fights that could've happened in reality that you want to see

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by ChrisPontius, Nov 3, 2007.

1. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Were they? They looked relatively friendly in Champions Forever, although they were the only two that could still speak. Foreman did say "Thank God!" when the host said to Foreman and Holmes "You two never fought". Foreman was full of **** most of the time, but that statement was pretty truthful.

2. Bill1234

Bill1234 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    No, but when I saw Leo Wanker it caught me off guard.

3. Bill1234

Jan 28, 2007
    Well of course they looked friendly towards each other in champions forever. They were getting payed money to sit down, behave, and honor each other in a relaxed enviorment. If George and Larry had any debate over something serious they would in the end, probably beat the hell out of each other, and not in the ring.

4. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Hoges is just classic mate.

5. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    The rematch did not occur when 19-9 Weaver coming off a close, scary fight for Holmes won the other title and Holmes refused to unify, Weaver clammered for a rematch, Holmes fought softer competition, at the end of there careers when Weaver was completly shot a journeyman, they fought again but when Weaver was at his best(gaining confidence from his fight with Holmes, Holmes avoided him

6. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
  7. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
  8. Bill1234

Jan 28, 2007
    No, but the rematch did occur doing the boxinglegends championship which Larry won. Earnie Shavers isn't softer comp. Holmes refused to unify? Did anyone else unfiy their titles? Between the WBA and the WBO? Or was that Holmes's fault to, because he was the best out there by an absolute mile, even more.

9. ripcity

ripcity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 5, 2006
    I would have liked to see what would happen if Peter Jackson and John L Sulivin fought.
    It would have had a huge impact on history.

10. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Great selection of "what if" fights. My picks in each:
    Jeffries-Johnson (1905)-Johnson by a decision. No knockdowns, in fact Jeffries wouldnt have taken a backward step, but Johnson would be too tricky for him.
    George Foreman-Jerry Quarry-Foreman by a tko in 3. A badly cut eye would be the reason. Quarry would land some stiff punches, but Foreman would take them well and maul Quarry, cutting the Irishman's eye in the second. It would get cut worse in the 3rd, causing the ref to stop it. No knockdowns, however.
    Ike Ibeabuchi-Lennox Lewis-Lewis by a close, but deserved unanimous decision. No knockdowns scored, but both men wobbled. Lewis is in his careful, boxer mode ala Holyfield 1 & 2.
    Wladimir Klitschko-Lennox Lewis-Lewis by a 3 knockdown tko in round 4.
    Jimmy Young-Larry Holmes-Holmes by a decision, and not a disputed decision like Ali-Young. Holmes had more pop on his punches than Ali, and could be much sharper on occasion. This would be one of those occasions, but Young would never be hurt badly, and of course, there would be no knockdowns. Holmes' brilliant jab would be the key to his victory, even against a slippery fellow like Young.
    Marvin Hagler-Michael Spinks-Neither man could dent the chin of the other, and this fight would be scored as a draw, to be disputed on both sides. Neither man would look their best in this one because of their styles negating each other.
    Larry Holmes-George Foreman-Foreman scores an early flash knockdown that really wakes up Holmes, and Holmes returns the favor in round 9 when stamina issues beset George. Other than that, the fight is a story of Holmes being the matador to Foreman's bull. A decisive 12 round decision for Holmes.
    Larry Holmes-Pinklon Thomas-Classic battle of the great left jabs! Holmes' jab is faster and lands the most, more than Thomas' heavier, more "Listonlike" jab. Holmes wins a decision, with a knockdown in the 14th to punctuate the win.
    Larry Holmes-Tim Witherspoon (rematch)-A relatively ho-hum affair with a better prepared Holmes winning a run of the mill 15 round decision rather easily like it should have been the first time.
    Roy Jones Jr.-Bernard Hopkins-This before the roof fell in on Jones, so I pick him to repeat his triumph over Hopkins, much like Taylor repeated his triumph over Hopkins.
    Joe Louis-Elmer Ray-I disqualify myself from predicting this one because I am not familiar with Elmer Ray.
    Lennox Lewis-Mike Tyson (1996)-Lewis ko's Tyson in 3 or 4, and not being as sure of himself like he was when they actually met, treats Tyson as a potentially dangerous adversary like he did Razor Ruddock, and really blasts him out of there, scoring a few knockdowns before the end, and fighting with more abandon than he did when they actually fought years later. Lewis takes out Tyson in any era, even in the eighties.
    Muhammad Ali-George Foreman(1977)-This one would go the distance, with big George redeeming himself to a degree against a shopworn, overly careful Ali and a smarter fight waged by Foreman. With Gil Clancy in his corner screaming and imploring him to let his hands go, George will make a tactical error by holding back much like Earnie Shavers did when he fought Ali in that same year, and it will cause him a razor-close decision. Ali would get a better fight from Foreman than he did from Shavers, and George would hurt him several times with big punches. And we all know that Ali was the recipient of more than a few gift decisions, well this would be one.

11. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Leonard and Hearns unified, Spinks and Qawi, not many more from memory. The titles were the WBC and WBA like Holmes and Weaver. Politics made it difficult but not impossible, as i stated, Holmes and Tate had full intentions of unifyng.

12. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Great picks Cobra! Interesting assesement on Lewis-Tyson though i don't see it that way. What are your thoughts on a Norton-Lyle fight in 1974-75-76?

13. laxpdx

laxpdx Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Tony Ayala vs. all the prominent fighters of his day. A war with Duran was imminent. That would have been the most machismo-filled, violent fight ever to happen. That is, for the relatively short time the actual fight would last before Tony prevails and earns the ultimate shot vs. Hagler.

14. My dinner with Conteh

My dinner with Conteh Tending Bepi Ros' grave again Full Member

Dec 18, 2004
    Still giggling at Legend's post. Is Larry possibly taking on the new nickname of Leo Wanker? :lol:

15. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    One huge fight that should have hapened but did not is Tommy ryan defending the middleweight title against Barbados Joe Walcott.

That could have been the Hagler Leonard of its day.