Fights that looked fixed to you

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by JC Boxing, Apr 1, 2019.

1. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    But they didn't.I like to go with what we know,not,"lots of undercard opponents",which is a sweeping unsubstantiated statement that isn't relevant on two counts,1.It isn't proven 2.Lots of Carnera's set ups were top of the bill!

2. Ken Ashcroft

Ken Ashcroft Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 23, 2008
    A more recent example is Malik Scott against Deontay Wilder. They were known to be good friends as well as sparring partners and it looked more than a bit suspicious when Scott hardly threw a punch in the fight in the brief time it lasted and then went down like a sack of potatoes when Wilder threw a right hand that looking from the outside, didn’t even connect but was blocked by Scott’s forearms. You then had Scott on his backside trying to make it look like he was making an effort to get up but it looked obvious that he was waiting for the ref to count him out.

Gatekeeper and Smokin Bert like this.
  3. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Nope, the paying audiences in those hick towns were remarkably tolerant of the staged "performances" ,it was the commissions that viewed them with less humour and took appropriate action to ensure they did not get repeats !

4. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    I'm not climbing back on the Carnera Carousel,I watched "The Harder They Fall" again the other week,that's enough built up hype for me for the foreseable future.

5. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Liston Ali 2. Liston was definitely worried about the Black Muslims. That said, I think Ali would have stopped him sooner than the first fight, anyway.

6. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    This is what I believe to be the case.

Reinhardt and mcvey like this.
  7. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    A lot of boxers today would have their licenses pulled for their non-performances if they'd put on those "performances" back then. But it's become all too commonplace today. Nobody even comments on it when it happens anymore.

People don't blink an eye if a guy goes down from a flurry that doesn't seem to land and then pops up at 10 even though he clearly isn't concussed or hurt.

Because it happens practically every week. Guys don't go down and stay down during fixes anymore. They just wait until the ref is about to say 10, then they stand and complain, so they can tell everyone they got up (and tried).

And most name fighters today have a guy or guys on their record who did the same thing. But you basically have to bite a guy five or six times, like was the case in the David Price fight last week, to not get paid these days.

Unforgiven likes this.
  8. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    All the "names" today have got them. This fight includes the "now standard get up at 10" scenario and "complain" for a couple seconds. (Don't worry. The clip says 16 minutes, but the fight only lasts 90 seconds or so.)

This content is protected

Unforgiven likes this.
  9. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    Tyson Fury vs. Matthew Ellis. Not KOed but "Get Up at 10."

This content is protected

10. Dubblechin

Jun 25, 2014
    Pick any name in the sport ... even light-punching Rigondeaux ... and they've all got a win or two or three over someone who did the same. Nobody loses their license. Nobody loses a check. Because they're just doing what was expected when the matchmaker put it together.

And we just figure that's part of the sport now and let it slide. Basically, because it is part of the sport now.

But it sucks.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  11. mcvey

Jun 2, 2006
    Carnera had a bit more than ,"a win or two, " over these kind of opponents.

ETM likes this.
  12. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I'm getting really bummed out...I had no idea this went on so much today. I thought that was a 20th century thing.

That said, this is one of those sports that makes and breaks millionaire, so perhaps I'm being excessively naïve.

13. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    It actually took me a while to accept Foreman's KO of Moorer.

14. Hanz Cholo

Hanz Cholo Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Potato vs “potuhtoe” or do you care to elaborate?

These were moments that had me questioning the integrity of the events that I was watching. There are others that have occurred for sure but these PPV events had me feeling cheated out of money for the reasons I sighted.

15. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    98% of all fights today are basically "fixed" in the matchmaking process. By that I mean that an opponent is selected not to make a good, competitive fight, but to lose while making the other fighter look good.

Guys that get stopped easy are easy to come by. But I know a guy that goes the distance, is competitive, gives good work and is willing to take fights against unbeaten guy in their hometowns on short notice (two more "fixing" methods) and he often gets paid more than the prospect.