Fights that went the distance but should have been stopped or ended in KO

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by El Gallo Negro, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Pacquiao vs Algieri had no reason to last the distance. Any other ref would have stopped this fight by round 9 after getting knocked around.

HolDat likes this.
  2. Jel

Jel Reserving the right to be inconsistent Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    It didn't go the distance but Danny Lopez-Mike Ayala had a weird moment where Carlos Padilla appeared to wave the fight off in round 11 after Ayala went down but then called it back on. Lopez finished it in the 15th and final round.

Saintpat likes this.
  3. Showstopper97

Showstopper97 The Icon Full Member

Oct 7, 2020
    Terry Norris vs Sugar Ray Leonard
    Larry Holmes vs Randall "Tex" Cobb
    Canelo Alvarez vs Julio Cesar Chavez Jr

4. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Michael Moorer vs Mike the Giant white. It went ten rounds to the cards. But white was saved by the bell a few times in that fight. Moorer beat that poor dude badly.

5. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher New Member Full Member

Friday
    Off the top of my head

Vitali Klitschko vs Shannon Briggs
    Joe Calzaghe vs Jeff Lacy
    Manny Pacquiao vs Antonio Margarito
    Shane Mosley vs Vernon Forrest 1

6. Flo_Raiden

Flo_Raiden Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Lomachenko vs Commey could have been stopped. Too bad Loma himself didn’t finish the job and thought he could make the decision for his corner.

7. Lenny

Lenny Member Full Member

May 23, 2021
    . . Horrible topic----but uncomfortable as is . Should be discussed. Thanks.... Wish there was a national governing body

8. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Mark Kaylor v Dwight 'Tiger' Walker - Kaylor was cut in the 6th round and by fights end, Kaylor's white shorts and both sleeves of Harry Gibbs shirt were a bright pink. Gibbs just would not stop the bout despite the blood-letting from his countryman. This from a referee who stopped the Bugner-Wepner bout between the 3rd and 4th round (Wepner's eye had only started bleeding in the 3rd) without even allowing Wepner's corner a chance to address it. Needless to say Gibbs raised Kaylor's hand at the end of 10.

9. Pepsi Dioxide

Pepsi Dioxide Active Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2020
    Gatti Ward 1, round 9 where Frank Cappuccino just let's Gatti, who cant or can barely defend himself, take a looooot of punishment. Yea Gatti came back and had some moments but Jesus Frank.

10. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    “Stop it, Frank! You can stop it anytime…”

Saintpat and Pepsi Dioxide like this.
  11. Pugguy

Pugguy Active Member Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    I try to critique Tyson objectively, and it certainly isn’t always in Mike’s favour.

But the rd 8 KD and count v Douglas allows for some specific and general examination.

For boxing to be respected, it requires clear rules and uniform enforcement - or at least sincere effort toward same.

Suffice to say, the very lack of same has caused difficulties in following the sport seriously or with any confidence.

Douglas was down for about 13 seconds. The ref was found to have applied the same meter to Mike later in the fight - but so what? Two wrongs don’t make a right, particularly given the chronological order of things. Ref gets it right the first time - maybe the later count on Mike becomes a moot point - which it was anyway in the broader scheme of things. We’re left to chew over whether Buster could’ve arisen, given an actual 10 sec count or respectably close to.

Important to note, there is a time keeper who defers to REAL seconds, the ref picks up the count form there and only has to ensure a fair meter for the balance of “10”.

It’s a well favoured response to say that the count of “10” is exactly as the ref tolls it. So then we’re talking - how long is a piece of string, right?, from one fight to another - or even in the same fight.

It that good enough to take the sport seriously - especially when so much pivots on a slow or fast count? Pretty simple, hit the deck, 10 seconds to arise, with the ref CLEARLY relating the legitimately passing seconds - how hard is that?

If Buster had been counted out of course it would’ve been totally against the grain of the fight - but sometimes that is what boxing is very much about.

I don’t buy into the BS that Mike was past prime or fighting under impossible disrepair - but I will give him time and pause on a count that was clearly long.

Also, Mike was not technically KO’d - or if he was somehow deemed to be then that’s another issue with the ref’s count. Tyson arose just after the ref tolled “9” - similar to Douglas’ own rising relative to the ref’s count - so Mike is up af 9.5 secs max. but clearly unviable - the ref waves it off - has to be a TKO, certainly shouldn’t have been a KO.

I wonder if there would’ve been any more hell to pay if Foreman got a similar long count, only to get up and somehow take Ali out with a lucky, desperation shot? Maybe, maybe not.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022 at 7:46 PM
  12. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Good point about the TKO.
    I also am a stickler for rules, although some are ambiguous or open for interpretation.
    I hate how much clinching is often allowed, but judgement must be use in when to sanction a boxer. Warnings should be more frequent.

However I do not think that a literal 10 seconds is the meaning of the count.
    If this is the case, then many fights should have been ended.
    Besides that Douglas could have gotten up-like Tunney-this turns on whether the count must always be precisely 10 seconds.

I do not believe that is the meaning of the rule.

Pugguy likes this.
  13. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    Sure, the rules state the ref’s count - which I alluded to - in terms of the favoured response - but there is also the timekeeper and literal seconds as I mentioned and the question of uniformity and equity which clearly isn’t always the case in terms of applied counts - and in the spirit of things - I do think they mean 10 secs but allow for human inconsistency and the clarity of the count being afforded to the downed opponent by way of the ref - the closest man to the them.

You’re right about clinching. Poorly policed at times - even taking it to the polar extremes - in some matches the refs are so twitchy as to prevent fighters legitimately working on the inside - parting them before anything like a true clinch has been constituted.

They should factor Murphy’s law - if there’s ambiguity or the wrong way to interpret the rules - eliminate the non desired possible options and/or subjective interpretations as much as is possible - keep it simple, stupid as much as it can be.

Pepsi Dioxide and Entaowed like this.
  14. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    Perhsps it should be in the rules for the ref to say ‘hippopotamus’ after each number to create greater consistency in the count.

Pugguy likes this.
  15. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    LOL!! Yeah, some peoples internal body clocks ain’t so hot - great call, I think I prefer “One Hippopotamus….” over “One Mississippi, Two Mississippi….”,perhaps the accompanying vision on the big screen of a cartoon Hippo dressed in a pink tutu, swinging down its arm, counting along with the ref. would also induce full audience participation - poor guy on the canvas will feel like everyone’s against him -

Jel likes this.