Fights That You Think Were Overrated ?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Dynamicpuncher, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Active Member Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    I disagree but I respect your opinion, the fight didn't do much for me. And for it wasn't worthy of winning FOTY either but that's just my opinion.

2. The G-Man

The G-Man Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Juanma vs Salido both times.

Outside of 2-3 rounds Juanma got dominated.

Dynamicpuncher likes this.
  3. Bronze Tiger

Bronze Tiger Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 23, 2018
    It
    It wasn’t a “ great fight “ …but nobody ever talks about it being a good fight is my point

4. ChrisJS

ChrisJS Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 11, 2018
    GGG-Canelo II - only less boring than the first.

Ali-Foreman
    Gatti-Ward III
    Leonard-Hagler

5. cuchulain

cuchulain Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 6, 2007

Two of the greatest fights I've ever watched live.

I consider Montreal to be tied with Manila for the greatest fight I've ever witnessed.

Mteslamiller, Pugguy and Flash24 like this.
  6. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    It was a good fight. I did enjoy it; it's just that it was too one-sided for me to speak of it in hushed tones the way some do.

Mark Dunham and Dynamicpuncher like this.
  7. 88Chris05

88Chris05 Active Member Full Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Arguello-Pryor I. Obviously an excellent fight but not quite the masterpiece it's usually painted as, for me. Alexis fought very courageously, but I'm not sure he ever really looked like he was going to win.

Canelo-Golovkin (both times). Got hyped up a lot but I personally found both of them to be quite dreary affairs, with the joke verdicts just putting the tin hat on it.

Quartey-De La Hoya. Described immediately afterwards as the greatest Welterweight title fight since Hearns-Leonard, but it was a largely uneventful and tense fight which just happened to feature two very exciting rounds, the sixth and twelfth.

Marciano-Walcott I. Obviously a magnificent and legendary knockout, but it's another fight with an unhealthy mythos around it. The way some talk you'd think Rocky had walked through unfathomable punishment and was beaten to within an inch of his life before the thirteenth round. While I've got no qualms with Walcott being ahead until that stage I don't think it was by anywhere near as big a margin as many claim and the action hadn't been all that thrilling until then, either (albeit still not bad at all).

Mark Dunham and Dynamicpuncher like this.
  8. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm not sure anyone rates it for it to be overrated.

9. Mark Dunham

Mark Dunham Active Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2021
    Leonard Hearns 1

a good match, but not really great and neither man was brilliant and it was too long

I think tommy was a few years from his peak but Leonard showed he could be dangerous, especially on the inside. Showed some versatility and it was in this fight we saw that movement was the key to beating Leonard and Hearns' late round stamina was susect

Schmeling louis 2 is overrated. It was a demolition

Hagler Mugabi is indeed overrated and Hagler looked shockingly faded. It was his courage and tenacity that saved the day

Duran Leonard 1 there was too much holding and the rematch was worse . too much running and mugging

10. Moggy94

Moggy94 Active Member Full Member

Mar 25, 2021
    Leonard/Hagler
    Hagler/Hearns
    Duran/Leonard 1
    Mosley/De La Hoya 1
    Ortiz/Berto

11. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    You last pick would be my first. Crappy, sloppy fight that showed Fury's decline badly.

12. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    For me Hagler vs Hearns is the poster child
    for this topic.
    After the 1st two minutes of the 1st rd It was
    all Hagler. The only drama was would
    Hagler stop Hearns before the ref stop
    the fight from the cut in his forehead.

13. OP_TheJawBreaker

OP_TheJawBreaker NOBODY hit like that guy! Full Member

Jun 23, 2021
    Here are some more mentions:

Andy Ruiz vs Anthony Joshua:

Knockdowns are not gonna make the fight entertaining. (Usually they do) but this one's different. That's the only action of the fight. There wasn't much standing toe to toe or proper slugfests. Like seriously, I didn't came to see Joshua just falling around.

Salvador Sanchez vs Azumah Nelson:

Again, another fight where you can only see that one fighter courageously fighting back but can't see him winning the battle. Sanchez was pretty much in control throughout the whole fight.

James Toney vs Vassiliy Jirov:

Again, another controversial one. This one is simply similar to Ibeabuchi-Tua. Just fought in one pace with high and consistent workrate. Differences is that this fight had pretty good and intense moments.

14. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    the Bowe-Holyfield trilogy.

First fight was good enough but it was also an even pick going into it. 2nd bout was not exciting, aside from ringman. #rd fight showed 2 guys hardly the divisions best.

15. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Absolutely terrible Fight but as you say, important in terms of history. The changing of the guard.