Fights we might have seen if there hadn't been an upset

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by sweetsci, Sep 8, 2019.

1. sweetsci

sweetsci Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 22, 2008
    One of the things that makes boxing so interesting is the constant threat of an upset. There have been countless "all set" fights over the years that have been derailed because of an upset. What are some fights that you wanted to see that didn't happen, or were delayed, because one of the fighters lost a fight everyone thought he'd win?
    • Riddick Bowe - Ray Mercer in May 1993 didn't happen because Mercer lost to Jesse Ferguson.
    • Larry Holmes - Ken Norton II didn't happen because Norton lost to Shavers.
    • Larry Holmes - Jimmy Young didn't happen because Young lost to Ocasio twice.
    • Mike Tyson - Evander Holyfield didn't happen in the autumn of 1990 because Tyson lost to Douglas.
    • Muhammad Ali - Ken Norton IV didn't happen because Ali lost to Spinks (though I'm not sure it would've happened anyway.)
    • Deontay Wilder - Anthony Josua is, for the moment, off the table because of Wilder's draw with Fury and Joshua's lost to Ruiz.
    • Mike Tyson - Tim Witherspoon didn't happen because Witherspoon lost to Bonecrusher.
    • I don't know if this one was in the works at all, but Bonecrusher, in beating Frank Bruno, got a shot against Larry Holmes. Would Bruno have gotten that shot in 1984?
    • Rocky Marciano - Nino Valdes didn't happen because Valdes lost to Archie Moore.
    • Floyd Patterson - Eddie Machen didn't happen in 1959 because Machen lost to Johansson.
    And that's just some examples at heavyweight...

Jackomano, Gatekeeper and 70sFan865 like this.
  2. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Jeffries and Johnson because Jack lost to Hart.

sweetsci likes this.
  3. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Gene Tunney Vs Jack Sharkey

sweetsci and 70sFan865 like this.
  4. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Joe Louis vs Max Baer II - Maxie lost Lou Nova rematch.

sweetsci likes this.
  5. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Roy Jones vs William Guthrie. He was a tall dangerous lightheavyweight. Roy admitted being concerned about facing him. I think Reggie Johnson upset him and got the fight with Jones.

sweetsci likes this.
  6. Tin_Ribs

Tin_Ribs Me Full Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Vilomar Fernandez upsetting Arguello stuck the knife in an Arguello -Duran fight.

Nazario stopping Rosario did the same for Whitaker - Rosario. Nazario got the shot and was iced by Pea in a round.

Harada beating Jofre stopped a much earlier prime matchup between Jofre and Saldivar.

sweetsci and roughdiamond like this.
  7. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Tyson missed out on an easy payday against Michael Moorer when he lost to Holyfield.

Tszyu - De La Hoya didn't happen when KT lost to Vince Phillips

sweetsci likes this.
  8. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Tommy Morrison was going to get Lennox Lewis next, if he had got past Michael Bentt.

sweetsci and Gatekeeper like this.