Finally watched the 'new' Thrilla in Manila Documentary

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Schmapps, May 29, 2009.

1. Schmapps

Schmapps Member Full Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Sorry if this has been done to death, I know the films a few months old now.

But WOW, what a great documentary! Very interesting take on it with Ali being portrayed as the villian. Even though it's common knowledge that Ali probably went over the line in his abuse of Joe, the way it was presented in this film really hit home. I had alot of respect for Joe Frazier before the movie, and even more so afterwards.

Man how funny was the scene with Butch Lewis recounting the hour before the FOTC, as he went back and forth between the dressing rooms! I laughed out loud as he described how unbeleivable it was. The tension was dripping from the screen, pretty amazing for a movie bout 38 year old fight!

I really loved how Frazier watched the Thrilla for the very first time at the end of the film. His facial expressions changed from pained, to hopefull, to bursting with pride depending on what was happening in the fight. When he says near the end, about Ali, "He was gonna say he wasn't coming out for that last round!" with tears in his eyes, well I'll tell you what I'm not an emotional guy but I almost teared up. I really felt for Joe at that moment. And I agree with one of the guys who said if that fight would have ended a draw, it would have been beautiful.

Anyways just wanted to share my thoughts on this awesome film. If you haven't seen it yet, it's most definitely worth tracking down.

For those that have seen it, what did you all think? Assuming of course, that this topic hasn't already been done to death...