Finding a good coach

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by morubbani, Oct 25, 2022.

1. morubbani

morubbani New Member Full Member

Oct 26, 2021
    It’s incredible. Sparring has made me realise how skilled proffesional fighters are. Even relatively low level fighters.
    Yea head movement is way more difficult than I thought. It seems like you really need a good sense of timing and understanding of distance. If I slip too early or late, I can get caught.
    I’m trying to make my feints subtle but clear. I don’t want them knowing when I’m fronting. I want to keep them guessing. I’m practicing stepping in with the front, then defending against a counter, then countering

sasto likes this.
  2. sasto

sasto Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 5, 2020
    I think you'll also find length of tenure has a lot to do with it. A lot of people will drop out and once you've shown you won't it will get better.

3. morubbani

Oct 26, 2021
    Yea true. The thing is they just put me in with guys who use me as a punching bag. It's annoying because I am just a beginner and want to practice. I am considering switching gyms

4. captain hook

captain hook Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Nobody has use of that.. At least they should have some restriction, f.e. punch only with the left hand. That way they could work on their left hand, and you could work on your defense because you know that only left hand can punch you, and so on.. there is a million things where two fighters can improve together regardless of their skill level.

I understand if they make a mistake, maybe they think that you are on the same level as your sparring partner, but when the beating starts, they should pause sparring and make adjustments, so both of you can resume getting better.

Beating is reserved for real fights (matches) or sparring matches club vs club, you will always have some no matter what your skill is, there is always someone better than you, but in sparring teammates there shouldn't be hard beatings. A good punch in the face YES, but repeatedly when is obvious that you are levels below NO.

5. morubbani

Oct 26, 2021
    Yea that is the type of sparring I think I need. Just something where I can practice getting comfortable. But every time I spar they put me in with this guy who is a lot better than me and just doesn't let me do anything really. I feel like if I did the technical sparring you mentioned, where they can just use their left hand, that would help me so much.
    I think I should leave, I just don't want to seem like I'm quitting. But I think it is the best decision for me to be honest