First Time Sparring!

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by SouthPaw_Swamer, Jun 27, 2007.

1. SouthPaw_Swamer

SouthPaw_Swamer Member Full Member

Nov 5, 2006
    I had my first sparring session last night and boy did i learn alot. the things going through my head just before i steped into the ring was intense.

I was sparing with this guy who was quite bigger than me(not taller but more built than me). Our trainer told him to go easy on me as it was my first time sparring and i could tell he was but boy the punches he did throw at me he wasn't pulling them.

Anyway the thing i want to know is after the first round of sparing i was soo out of breath and was soo glad the round was over but then my trainer said i had another round with a diffrent person. i really had to dig deep to finish off the round. i want to know how the F*!k did i get soo tired soo quickly, i mean i would say i'm pretty fit but i was soo out of breath it wasn't funny.

How was the first time you guys sparred? I would love to hear other peoples first experience sparring.

2. fernando4cv3

fernando4cv3 Member Full Member

Jan 20, 2007
    Hwo long have u been boxing b4 u sparred. I did the same thing my first time. Im a middleweight and i tried to dance with a featherweight. i kept up but i was done after 1 round. i had another 2 rounds to go so i had to change something or i'd knock my self out. so i stayed in the center of the ring throwing jabs to keep him at bay then when i felt ready i pounced on him like a cougar and got him on the ropes and kept him there with body shots. wouldve been a easy UD if it was amatuer fite :!:

3. SouthPaw_Swamer

Nov 5, 2006
    i've been doing a circut cource for about 4 months and thats it. the trainer just threw me in there and all the info i got was to keep him at bay with my jab, thats it!! Also i felt i could hit him, like i didn't want to hit him or somthing i was holding back, this will improve over time yeah?

4. fernando4cv3

fernando4cv3 Member Full Member

Jan 20, 2007
    Yea i had that same problem my first time also. I thought if i tagged him a couple a times my partner would really open up on me. Over time you get used to it and you learn how to hit at a certain level allowing you to effectily practice but keep it as just a sparring session

5. altez

altez New Member Full Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Are you a left hander? If so, when sparring with right handers it's very hard to land that jab. You may end up walking to that right hand a lot :tired Anyways just keep sparring, you won't think as much and things will begin to click. It may take a while, but you'll see the improvements.

6. Bill1234

Bill1234 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 28, 2007
    For some reason I never really get tired. My punches slow down a little (barely noticeable) but Ive never really been tired until my last sparring session, and that was a nonstop punching slug fest (unusual for me).

7. amy

amy If you know what I mean Full Member

May 23, 2006
    nerves will make you tire out faster, just try to be more relaxed.

8. younghypnotiq

younghypnotiq Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 23, 2007
    i got creamed my first time the guy outweighed me by 60pds of muscle and he was 25 im 15 lol

9. Krippy

Krippy Thread Killer Full Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Damn, I really think you need to find a new trainer.. :think

10. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2004

...........Absolutely; reading his report mirrored my own experience almost to a tee, and it was all nerves. The first few sessions will be like that, and then you learn to loosen up a bit.

11. younghypnotiq

younghypnotiq Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 23, 2007
    i lasted 6 rds the first time i sparred until i got knocked on my ass(BTW i was boxing on concrete) and my ass was hurting so bad. then i lasted another 2

12. SouthPaw_Swamer

Nov 5, 2006
    oh man that makes me feel soo much better, i thought it would take a bit of time to get used to it. for those of ou who do some pro boxing, how much more does it hurt when compared to am boxing??

13. skipdog

skipdog Active Member Full Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Welcome to the club bro... I got blasted by an out of shape 45 year old who wore a ****in face saver like 5 seconds after the first bell. I got my **** together later in the round. Was suckin wind so hard after the first round. Then did 1 more with him and 1 with another guy. After 3 I stepped out and just remeber being so high. I have been hooked since. We get so tired because of adrenalin, nerves, flexing muscles, not breathing while punching and getting punched, etc. Its something you learn in time. How to relax in the ring. **** I get nerves when I spar someone for the first time still. It goes away after a punch lands though. Its all part of the fun bro.. Congrats on getting in there.

14. austyn

austyn Yeah I know Full Member

Jun 10, 2007
    That happens to every1 add me on msn swarmer i need to talk to pplz bout boxin lol.
    This content is protected

15. Bazooka

Bazooka Pimp C Wants 2 Be Me Full Member

Oct 23, 2005
    Exactly the truth, you have to stay calm in there, easier said than done though, but relax your arms and your legs this will allow you to stay light on your feet and throw your shots with speed and snap, if you tense up in there you will end holding your breathe and burning up your energy.
    plus keep in mind you must breathe, when you punch and you must take some deep breaths when your done throwing your shots, the key is to relax in there.