First time sparring.

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by feralchild, Feb 14, 2016.

1. feralchild

feralchild New Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2012
    I'm in the red shorts. What do I need to improve on and what fighters should I study?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=HlPIb2AxZCg

2. ktm411

ktm411 Member Full Member

Jan 19, 2015
    First off well done man, you got some speed and skill.

but holy **** that's a loud gym..

Easy bit of advice, hands up and focus on the basics, pump the jab a bit more too.

No need for the flashy stuff, a sound boxer will beat someone trying to look good any day of the week.

3. Caimán

Caimán Member Full Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Jab more, use it to keep the distance, set up a combination or just to not let the opponent feel comfortable.
    Also don't wait for your opponent to be in HIS distance for you to throw some punches, you should practice attacking from your distance and don't give the other a chance to conect.

4. Mr.DagoWop

Mr.DagoWop Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2015
    Use your jab more to keep the distance. Keep your hands up and protect yourself. You need to work on your defense particularly blocking punches, parrying, etc. Also, you seem to telegraph your punches a bit, work on that and you will be over it quickly. If you're new I would say you are pretty good. Look at Roy Jones, you remind me of him also early Floyd Mayweather at Lightweight and Super Featherweight he had a style close to yours.

5. Gaboxing

Gaboxing New Member Full Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Dude, you are a natural, seriously. Your boxing instincts are top notch, you are not gun-shy, you have a good sense of timing, you are constantly moving, punching in combinations, you are not over-committing.

I think this is the best first-time I have ever seen, seriously man you are good. As for what you can do to improve, well if you did so well on your first time, I think improvement will come by itself, but I'll tell you what I would work on anyways.

First the jab. Try to throw it as much as you can, as stiff as you can. Double it, triple it, use it to create openings, feint the jab a go straight for the right hand. The jab is the best tool to set up bigger things.

Also, body punching. It can be a little intimidating to do, since the possibility of a counter is bigger when body punching, but those are the punches that stay with you. Throw that 1-2-3 combination, but finish it in the body. Mix it up, body punches make opponents lower their guard.

Finally, try to be a little more conscious about your defense. Since you are sparring, take that opportunity to focus on this. Be a little more on the defensive some times, try to predict what your opponent is going to do, slip and counter, block and counter, use the jab to get away, use an angle to get out of the way and counter.

But seriously man, really well done, extremely impressive for your first time. All of these things I'm telling you will come with experience, so don't worry too much about it, just keep training.

One last thing, I didn't like the atmosphere in your gym, to the point that I'd even recommend that if you have another option, you should go for it, I don't thing that is the best environment to learn. That's just my opinion though, props to you to be able to perform the way you did in that situation.

6. Bogotazo

Bogotazo Amateur Full Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Find it hard to believe that's your first time.

7. AHussain

AHussain Member Full Member

Dec 24, 2014
    I find that guy in the black jumper in the corner very annoying.

The old master likes this.