Fitzgerald v Fowler

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Oreet Cha!, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Oreet Cha!

Oreet Cha! I know what I like and I like what I know. Full Member

Jul 18, 2018
    What a great fight!

I don't think I have cheered a knock down and the subsequent victory like that, within boxing, for many many a year.

The scenes in the venue I watched it in were akin to when PNE scored an 87th minute winner via Super Tommy Clarke Cha! against Blackpool back in 2013. The place erupted, totally mental scenes. This is what sport is all about. Rivalries.

As @Twentyman posted, Fowler probably needs this defeat, if only to lower his own exaggerated vision of himself for the time being. He is good but he is not yet at the level he thinks he is.

Humility is a wonderful thing.

Both still have good careers ahead of themselves. A rematch in Preston at some stage please.

Smudge_, N17, Brixton Bomber and 4 others like this.
  2. EJC83

EJC83 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    It was fantastic, the only disappointment for me was that first judge, there's no way Fowler won that, even without the knockdown, Fitz won that.

Eel87, N17, Sugar 88 and 2 others like this.
  3. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Hi mate. You seem sound and a nice bloke. That said, you do not need to remind us every post that both Fitzgerald and yourself are from Preston. We get it pal.

We’re all happy about last night.

N17, Patter983, DirtyOldTown and 2 others like this.
  4. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Fitzy put on a great performance last night. It was one of those where you're totally engrossed, shouting at the t v. Lol.
    Fitzy seems to switch off ever so slightly, also he was missing simple shots, especially at the end of combos. These were just 2 little things I noticed last night. I hope his team iron little stuff like that out, he could make for a real good fighter, fitzy. Hope im not sounding negative cos i dont want to take anything away frombthat great performance.
    Also did anyone see the Coldwell interview after. It was tho he was having a little pop at Fowler. The stuff Dave said should of been said to Fowler before the fight, not in an interview after. I don't know, maybe he did say it to Fowler

N17 and KingKO like this.
  5. KingKO

KingKO El Terrible Full Member

Feb 2, 2019
    That's what I don't like about Coldwell, he's always looking to blame someone else when his fighters lose.

N17, im sparticus and Here's Johnny like this.
  6. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    He's comes across like a right little rat - wants all the plaudits when someone he 'trains' wins but really tries to distance himself from any culpability when they lose.

Eel87, Power_tek and N17 like this.
  7. DirtyOldTown

DirtyOldTown Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Coldwell is an untrustworthy little rat. Just something very dodgy about him. You wouldn't trust him would you.

BXNG101, Power_tek and N17 like this.
  8. Judge 1

Judge 1 Member Full Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Great post I predict Follerl

N17 likes this.
  9. Judge 1

Judge 1 Member Full Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Great post I predict Fowler will leave Dave within the next couple of months

N17 and im sparticus like this.
  10. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    The thing is also, Fowler is capable of winning a rematch but maybe he's also really tight at the weight which could affect him always in the later rounds.

If he tries to be more economical does fitzy just pick him off?

I actually think Fowler might of had better success pushing Fitzgerald back, but to be fair Fitzgerald was so calm and composed and economical, that might of not worked either against him.

Was really impressed with Fitzgerald, he needs to keep himself to those high standards.

If he trains hard and lives the right lifestyle he could potentially be British and European champion in a few fights, have a decent world ranking, potential world title shot and make himself some good money in the process.

Cant let the momentum slip now, he is at a peak age really and needs to make the next 2-3 years count.

Here's Johnny and N17 like this.
  11. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I think people are quite harsh on Coldwell. I didn’t see a coach throwing his fighter under a bus, I saw a coach taking the opportunity to help his fighter grow. He clearly thinks the world of Fowler and said he’s a lovely kid away from social media...which I found very telling. Coldwell will (rightfully) feel that he’s investing too much emotional energy on there instead of resting etc. He also hinted that the defeat will do him good and he needed humbling. Him saying that you can’t disrespect a fighter and not take their threat seriously is absolutely right.

In-turn, watching the interview with Fowler, he said how gutted he was that he felt that he’d let his coach down and that was one of the worst feelings for him. It seems clear to me that their bond is very strong...sometimes in life a loved one or a close friend or whatever suffers a setback that you knew deep down was coming. You’d tried to warn them but they wouldn’t listen...when that setback happens, that can be the best time to get through to them. That’s what Coldwell is doing.

Fowler will be back out in the summer with Coldwell getting back to winning ways, and a little more humble.

12. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Good post. I thought Coldwell was spot on in the corner on Saturday night. He was honest throughout and clearly saw the tide turning after the fourth round - he told Fowler he lost the round and that he needed to box sensible behind his jab and stop loading up. Fowler had other plans obviously and kept up his body attack and uppercuts - and Scott was able to pick him off. It was a fairly easy fight to score for me, Fowler winning 1,2,3,9 and Scott winning the rest.

One thing that was clearly obvious was that Scott hands down won the mind games. Fowler had no interest in trying to box him and win on points, whereas Scott had a clear gameplan from start to finish.

Oreet Cha! and Twentyman like this.
  13. BigDoofus

BigDoofus Active Member Full Member

Apr 4, 2016
    I don't watch his interview after he hung David Price out to dry after his loss. Not surprisingly Price left him.
    Coldwell gets given fighters through his Hearn love in. The best fighter he brought through was Jerome Wilson. Wilson's book "Wipeout" certainly paints a picture of Coldwell.

im sparticus likes this.
  14. BXNG101

BXNG101 Active Member Full Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Listen we all know the type of guy Coldwell is. Just take one look at him and his whole smug demeanour. He's the type to sleep with your brothers wife. He's the type to screw you over in a business deal. He's the type to move in on your ex missus the moment you've just had a difficult breakup with her and start calling her "babe". He's the type to chat rubbish about you the second you turn your back to guys who don't even like him. He's that guy in your office that works his way to the top by using people below him and chucking them when he doesn't need them anymore. He's a complete snake of a man.

DirtyOldTown likes this.
  15. Furious

Furious Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Fowler favouriting tweets saying things like 'Those hating on Fowler wouldn't last 5 seconds in the ring with him'. Really strange straw man, I don't think anyone laughing at the loss due to Fowler's arrogant demeanor and subsequent humbling are suggesting that they themselves could beat a professional boxer and Olympian.

You can tell from the type of tweets he's favouriting that he's incredibly bitter about the loss though :)