Fitzsimons on Darcy

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by EelsRule, Aug 1, 2007.

1. EelsRule

EelsRule Active Member Full Member

May 16, 2006
    His book is a very good read 100 pages in. Must say, I love the story of Les Darcy - his is truelly a legend and it is well overdue for a movie to be made about him (though this would probably ruin the legend as the terrible movies on Ned Kelly and Darrel Kerrigan did).
    There is always debate but it would be good to get a definative answer to who is regarded as our greatest boxer. Surely Les is, with maybe some of the modern guys not fighting the best enough. Any thoughts?

2. BoppaZoo

BoppaZoo Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 21, 2007
    i feel Les Darcy was the best boxer we ever produced.

but like Phar Lap the American Mafia at the time couldnt afford someone from that didnt know how to lose come in and win all the time.

thats why Phar Lap was killed and Darcy wasnt aloud to box. it had nothing to do with being a draft dodger. it was more about the Americans were affraid he would never lose.

Darcy beat some of the best men at 160 as we all know and more than likely would have beaten i feel Harry Greb. some ask why would Darcy beat Greb and my answer is sinple he fought nothing but 20 rounders and against some great oppisition like Chip (who actually had beat Greb on Pts), yet Darcy KO'd Chip in 9 rounds the very next fight.

Now some rate Greb as the 3rd best Middleweight all time only behind Robinson and Monzon so, if they let Darcy box in the USA he would be a sure thing for top ten Middleweight all time.

i still think he is at least top 20 Middleweight all time and he died at 21 years of age so imagine he could have been top 3.
    but as usual they Yanks didnt want him to box. so what can you do.

3. westside

westside Active Member Full Member

May 24, 2007
    Darcy - Legend (apparently.. cause Im too young!)
    Fitzsimons - Wanker.

4. EelsRule

EelsRule Active Member Full Member

May 16, 2006
    Yeah, the fact that he was so young at a time when all the best boxers where so much more experienced seemed to indicate that he could have gone onto anything. Boxing seemed to be full of scandle back then as well which is interesting because it is made out as though that aspect of the sport is new.