Floyd is the GOAT @ 130.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by VG_Addict, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man banned Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    That was tongue and cheek from him as his father was training Oscar, they weren't getting on. Judging by how De La Hoya had success with Mayweather when he was past prime I think fishnets beats him, and prime Mosley I have beating him too

2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Who tooled and beat a prime LW/SFW Duran?

I can tell you now a poor man's poor man's Duran in Castillo pushed Floyd to the edge and ran him very close.

Somali Sanil likes this.
  3. Enigmadanks

Enigmadanks Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 5, 2009
    On a side note, what's with this ATG Ernesto Marcel talk? Did he even make the HOF? He was a good fighter at the lighter weights (bantam, feather,) but he wasn't some kind of killer. He was a tough fighter with a good chin who took on a young version of Duran who was still on the come up.

Roberto didn't fight any great fighters at 130 lbs- his biggest fight was with De Jesus at that weight. He had a very long run at LW but his biggest wins at that division were arguably against Buchanan in '73 when he took the belt from him (a fight he could've been DQ"s in given the low blow that ended the match,) and his two wins over De Jesus.

His biggest fights came when he left the LW division. I rate his win over Palomino very highly and obviously his marvelous win over Ray Leonard. Ray had about a third of Duran's pro experience when they fought but it's still a great win for a smaller guy moving up in weight.

Pimp C likes this.
  4. Somali Sanil

Sep 1, 2019
    im using them as examples of a style that bothered Floyd

5. Malph

Malph Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2007
    An aspect of Mayweather's game that people dont give him credit for was his endurance.

He was a gym rat. Grew up and pretty much lived in the gym. He had as good of endurance as anyone out there.

George Crowcroft and Pimp C like this.
  6. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    DeJesus did. He ran a injured PBF close a healthy PBF beat him going away.

7. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Have you seen there 3 fights? DeJesus fought Duran toe to toe and was outboxed twice.

8. Malph

Mar 31, 2007
    Fair enough. I remember the Maidona fight. That wasnt exactlly Mayweather at his best and he pulled it out. I watched that fight and believe it was as much about Mayweather not taking Maidona serious enough leading up to the fight as anything.

I'm pretty sure Floyd was bring his A game to a Duran fight.

9. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    No one is saying Marcel is on Mayweather's level, or that Marcel is the GOAT Featherweight. Just that Marcel was a very good fighter, he also has a win that would be top 3 on Mayweather's, Pacquiao's and Duran's résumé.

10. Pimp C

Jun 23, 2005
    No this was well before that. This was when PBF was at 135 he said he wanted to fight both Shane and Oscar.

I don't think Oscar beats him. Oscar had a history of losing big fights he had **** endurance and faded late in fights during the championship rounds and PBF doesn't fade and he wins championship rounds clearly. BTW PBF fought Oscar at 154 a weight he has never looked great at. Shane Mosley is too dumb to beat PBF he doesn't make good enough adjustments and as soon as PBF takes away his right hand he would be done.

11. Pimp C

Jun 23, 2005
    I've seen 2 of the 3.

12. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Well then you'd know that he moved about then traded. He had the power to keep Duran honest and was more willing to trade. Duran gave him respect, Mayweather (who is quite underrated nowadays) would have all the tools to trouble Duran, it's just that his style isn't gonna stop Duran from coming forward and landing, if he could keep Duran honest I'd consider making him favourite but without that pop in his punch I think Duran gets to him and takes a hard earned UD.

Pimp C likes this.
  13. Malph

Mar 31, 2007
    I dont know if he makes him quit but that would be an interesting fight at FW or JLW.

I dont think Floyd ever faced a guy like Loma because nobody has. He has a unique and innovative style

At the same time, Floyd might be the best boxer Loma ever faced.

It would be a highly technical, skilled affair that's for sure.

longislandtroop likes this.
  14. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Might be?

15. Somali Sanil

Sep 1, 2019
    yes Oscar did fade, you are correct, Shane may get iq'd, but I feel prime he was so sharp and strong !