Floyd Mayweather fight night weights

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Jel, Jan 28, 2023.

1. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    I’m not Floyd’s biggest fan, but one thing he can never be accused of is being a weight bully.

I’d be very surprised if he wasn’t outweighed on fight night by the majority of his opponents, particularly as he moved up the weight classes.

Are there official (or unofficial) fight night weights for Floyd’s fights?

I found something online but not sure of its veracity. If it’s true, though, it would suggest that Floyd rarely rehydrated more than a few pounds between the official day-before weigh in and fight night. It would also suggest in some of his fights he was significantly outweighed by his opponent, sometimes by as much as 20 pounds during his welterweight years.

Interested to hear people’s thoughts on this.

2. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Interested to hear what he weighed as a 130lber.

3. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    According to a site I found, he was usually still in the 130s at fight time.

The fight with Chico Corrales has him at 136.5 and Corrales at 146.

NoNeck likes this.
  4. Journeyman92

Sep 22, 2021
    I'd believe it. He looked quite shrimpy compared to how he was against say JMM or Mosley.

Jel likes this.
  5. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    HBO Unofficial Weights

Mayweather 139 G. Hernandez 139
    Mayweather 138 Manfredy 139
    Mayweather 135 Gerena 135
    Mayweather 136 Juuko 140
    Mayweather 139.5 Vargas 141
    Mayweather 136.5 Corrales 146
    Mayweather 139 C. Hernandez 137
    Mayweather 137.5 Chavez 136
    Mayweather 138.5 Castillo 147.5
    Mayweather 138 Castillo 147 (rematch)
    Mayweather 140 Sosa 145
    Mayweather 140 Ndou 147
    Mayweather 145 Corley 144
    Mayweather 142 Bruseles 150
    Mayweather 148 Mitchell 155
    Mayweather 146 Judah 150
    Mayweather 149 Baldomir 162

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  6. thistle

thistle Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 21, 2016
    in the Past, Floyd, just like most others - Natural Size & Weight, would have been a Middleweight cum L-HW.

as a young fighter he would have passed through Welter, levelled out at Middleweight and finished off his career as a L- HW.

as I always say that changes EVERYTHING, think of the Fighters he would have had to Face!

7. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    No, I don’t think so. That makes an assumption that his fight night weight was much more than his weigh-in weight.

If @Thread Stealer’s source is correct, it shows that Floyd was rarely more than a few pounds heavier and in his welterweight days, it seems he was usually no more than a couple of pounds above the weight limit.

The problem is that everyone now assumes that all fighters massively rehydrate between weigh in and fight night and that everyone is huge for their weight. In Floyd’s case, this doesn’t seem to be true.

Or were you talking purely about walk-around weight pre-training?

Journeyman92 likes this.
  8. Journeyman92

Sep 22, 2021
    What? Mayweather was a shrimp. No real 160lber ever has looked the way he did. D1ck Tiger was a 160lber- Dense one. Bigger then Mayweather ever was and he was a 168lbs guy when he didn't need to make weight anymore at LHW. On no planet is Mayweather ever a MW come LHW.

9. thistle

Dec 21, 2016
    sorry he is NOT going to do different than all the other fighters of the Past - they Fought in & around their natural weight - ALL of them. ... they didn't have 4 months to cut weight, more like 4 weeks or less, sometimes just days, they Stayed at their Own Weight.

Floyd would do just the same as every other fighter if he lived back then.

just look at the STATURE of most of them then.

Middleweights were 5' 8" - 5' 10" en masse, so PBF, and others fron Now going Back Then, would do just the same as all other fighters, and that is Fight In & Around you're Natural Weight!!!

10. Jel

Oct 20, 2017
    Ok, I get you.

I’m really comparing him here with fighters of his own era and current day-before weigh in practices.

thistle likes this.
  11. Greg Price99

Greg Price99 Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 17, 2018
    There is no chance Mayweather would have fought at LHW in any era. Naturally slim, slender 5ft 8ins fighters don't fight at 175lbs.

Look at photos of Floyd at 130lbs in his early 20's and then at 147lbs in his late 30's. He has no more fat, just manufactured muscle mass. Without access to modern sports science, nutrition and supplements (legal or otherwise), Mayweather may not have fought as high as 147/154lbs in previous eras as he wouldn't have been able to put the kind muscle on a guy that small needed to weigh that much whilst maintaining a single figure body fat %.

Look at him now, mid 40's, clearly less muscular, though probably carrying a little more fat. He's probably settled at mid 150's. No way he would have ever grown into a LHW, in any era.

Pacquiao definitely wouldnt have gone as high as 147lbs in previous eras. He wouldn't have had access to the necessary sports science, nutritional expertise and supplements to weigh that much whilst in fighting shape.

12. thistle

Dec 21, 2016
    Yes Greg, I get that, but those are 4 month Train Down weights...

sure it is possible he wouldn't have closed out at L-HW, but make No Mistake he would have fought at Welter and then levelling out at Middleweight, where, Sure, he may well have remained at.

he's NOT 150 today, he is probably eitherside of 170lbs now...

I'm 5'8 and about 180, not in shape, and I'm only carrying about 6 - 10 lbs overweight...

in my youth FIT, I was 140 - 165 over about a 10 - 15 year time frame.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  13. Greg Price99

Dec 17, 2018
    At 147/154lbs for Mayweather I don't think they were train down weights. He's naturally a slim, lean and slender guy. Borderline skinny naturally. He had to add muscle. Look at him a couple of years post retirement, his upper body clearly got smaller.

Pacquiao reportedly had to consume a crazy 7,000 calories a day to maintain 147lbs. If true, there's no way he would have been able to eat that much and keep in fighting shape 70-80 years ago. He would have been a career FW, or a small LW, back then.

I agree that there are many boxers who would have fought at higher weights 50+ years ago with same day weigh ins and fighting more regularly. There are also those who utilise modern resources to fight at weights they wouldn't have been able to in previous eras.

Mayweather, a borderline skinny guy barely 5ft 8ins, would categorically never have weighed 175lbs in fighting shape, during any era.

Jel likes this.
  14. thistle

Dec 21, 2016
    I've already Agreed with the L-HW possibility that he might never see.

I was just using the 3 Weight typical transition, from Young Novice - Leveled Out Peak - to heavier for End of Career finishing weight.

Many fighters only fought in 2 divisions, but the larger chunk of fighters 'typically' transitioned 3 weights in a Long Career from Novice to Veteran.

Floyd THEN, would have been a Welter cum Middle...

So Who then 'might' he have had to fight?

it Changes a lot of conclusions!

15. Greg Price99

Dec 17, 2018
    Different fighters develop in different ways.

Hatton was a tank as a 20 year old LWW. He was big at LWW at that age. He was undersized as a WW in his 30's, he didnt have the frame.

Hearns was a naturally very skinny guy who always had the frame of a CW. He was skinny enough to make 147lbs, but unlike most WWs, he had the frame to fill out and become a fully fledged LHW.

I'm 40, 6ft and 185lbs. At 22 I was 190lbs and definitely did not have a higher body fat %. I eat more carefully and run a bit more now, do about the same weight training.

People are different and develop differently.

thistle likes this.