Floyd Mayweather, Jr. vs James J. Corbett, with poll

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by cross_trainer, Dec 3, 2021.

Who wins?

1. Mayweather wins, and I've *never* had a boxing match

23.8%
  2. Mayweather wins, and I've had *at least one* boxing match

19.0%
  3. Corbett wins, and I've *never* had a boxing match

14.3%
  4. Corbett wins, and I've had *at least one* boxing match

19.0%
  5. I voted by mistake, so I'm changing my answer to this option

23.8%
  1. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Much appreciated. :D

Gym vs gym unsanctioned amateur bout at an organized event counts as a boxing match for purposes of this poll.

2. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    Careful what you wish for, I suppose...

3. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Floyd faints in the first 30 seconds when Corbett turns away from a punch and exposes his pale butt cheeks hanging out of his leather thong. Jim takes advantage of Floyd's discomfort and downs him with a flurry of slaps. Floyd struggles to his feet but Jim smashes him with a pansy like uppercut.

With Mauro Ranallo screaming "down goes Floyd! Down goes Floyd!" referee Laurence Cole steps in and DQ's Corbett.

Mayweather DQ win 1.

Adelaide Byrd had Floyd up 118-110 at the time of the stoppage.

4. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    I’m impressed.

A number of posts in and everyone has maturely resisted ANY gratuitous reference to Corbett’s greatest offensive asset - his thong. Oops, I did it again!

Size does begin to count at some time point. Corbett has a sufficient combination of size (advantage) and skill to get the UD at the least over 15 rounds.

Edit: @FrankinDallas slid in a “cheeky” post before mine. The flood gates have opened.

FrankinDallas likes this.
  5. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Sorry, but I couldn’t find the options:-

“Corbett wins, and I’ve worn a thong at least once. “ or “I’ve never worn a thong”.

I think this particular qualification or lack thereof could yield some interesting and useful data to take on board.

6. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Never an amateur but sparred and trained at the dog pound boxing gym.

Also wouldn't Corbett be too big ???

cross_trainer likes this.
  7. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    It's true that Corbett has ~30+ pounds of bethonged, fist-twirling weight on the heaviest version of Floyd.

FrankinDallas likes this.
  8. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    I've never worn a thong, but often imagined doing so. Does that count for anythong?

Bukkake, Pugguy and cross_trainer like this.
  9. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    Nothong, I'm afraid.

EDIT: I'm actually starting to suspect in a serious, unironic way that Corbett wearing a thong is part of the cause of his declining reputation among modern fans. There are other, far better reasons. But the thong may be a contributing factor.

BitPlayerVesti and Pugguy like this.
  10. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Floyd I think. The rules haven't changed since the 1940's. He'd be more familiar with the environment. The equipment sure has, but that applies to both.

Corbett's bigger, but I bet he wouldn't try to impose his size... his ego would get in the way and he'd try to outsmart Mayweather and outbox him.
    I don't believe he'd be able to. Nobody ever did. I don't think Corbett does either.

cross_trainer likes this.
  11. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Let's review.

Of the other James J. Somethings that were HW champion over that forty year period, there is a direct correlation between not wearing a thong and retaining high favorability ratings on internet forums.

Boilermaker? Certainly paraded around in his fair share of tighty whities...but no thongs. Still charms young and old alike, faring surprisingly well in time machine h2h match-ups.

Cinderella Man? Why you'd be hard-pressed to find any pics of that prude in less than knee-length trunks! And his popularity has endured such that Russell Crowe* played him in a hit movie an entire century after Braddock won the belt.

*not directly pertinent, but it may an interesting footnote to boxing thong historians to know that Crowe's jockstrap worn in that film sold in auction for $7k.

The results are undeniable. You have three James J.'s, one of whom rocked a thong and has increasingly been viewed as a bum - while the other two didn't provide as much view of their bums ...and haven't.

Pugguy and cross_trainer like this.
  12. cross_trainer

Jun 30, 2005
    Ruhlin's thong / diaper and Burns's similar fashion mistakes are Exhibits B and C.

IntentionalButt likes this.
  13. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    I had hoped to end my Friday night without visualizing a man with a thong, yet here we are.

For the record, I have had 2 amateur matches, tons of sparring, and have never worn a thong.

Floyd fought a few larger 154 pound guys such as Oscar and Canelo (who likely rehydrated to 160 bare minimum) and Maidana who was like 165 on fight night. Corbett was 178 when he won the title, arguably his best performance so it's not too unfair to have him fight at a catchweight of let's say 170. Floyd agrees to be 160 to sort of meet him halfways so they'd both be slightly uncomfortable with Corbett having worse stamina and strength due to being drained while Floyd is a little stiffer and sluggish due to extra weight.

With that out of the way we have styles. Prime "pretty boy" era Floyd was a sizzling combination puncher who let his hands go while having responsible defense and slick movement. He was much more textbook than Corbett who used lots of jittery footwork, awkward upper body movement, and very weird looping shots. Both were actually decent body punchers.

"Money" Floyd was much more conservative rarely throwing more than 1-2 shots at a time and was focused more on survival and winning bouts with clean accurate punching, tight defense, and smooth counters.

I think even a drained Corbett could actually present some stylistic and physical problems. First of all he was 6'1 and was multiple inches taller than even the tallest Floyd opponent Corrales. As bad as he looks on film, he was rather quick on his feet and was used to taking blows from heavyweights and regardless of what quality you think those heavies had, he would probably not remotely be bothered by Floyd's shots. Corbett has a few similarities to Emmanuel Augustus who Floyd admitted gave him huge problems. The erratic movements and unorthodox style would probably infuriate Floyd, especially the older version who liked for guys to come to him so that he could play the Matador and use his defense.

I guess it boils down to if you think Floyd was skilled enough to overcome an enormous height+reach difference combined with sheer athleticism and a very puzzling and hard to predict style. Neither version of Floyd is knocking him out so this would be quite a nail biter, assuming Floyd doesn't drop an F word bomb that rhymes with the larvae of a fly and the fight gets called off due to Twitter outrage.

I say Corbett wins narrowly. They both would have a hard time hitting each other and they would both be trying desperately to make the other guy lead which never looks good.

14. FrankinDallas

Jul 24, 2004
    That image is just a thong in your side.

15. FrankinDallas

Jul 24, 2004
    Jimmy Corbett's style being compared to Augustus Burton....yikes,wasn't Augustus wearing a red thong when he fought Ward? Good call, GCC!