Floyd Mayweather lists his top 5 boxers, placing Muhammad Ali at 5th

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by daniel263, Nov 28, 2019.

1. daniel263

daniel263 New Member banned Full Member

Nov 23, 2019
    Floyd Mayweather places bimself at number one (unsurprisingly) and Ali at 5.

Floyd's top 5 list
    1.FMJ
    2.Roberto Duran
    3.Pernnell Whittaker
    4.Julio Cesar Chavez
    5. Muhammad Ali

His explanation for this
    -Ali only fought at one weight class (HW). Floyd fought in 5 and won titles in 5
    -Ali had multiple losses. Floyd is undefeated
    -Floyd has defeated more world champions than any other boxer
    This content is protected

Scissors likes this.
  2. Malph

Malph Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Floyd is entitled to his opinion. The rest of us should consider the source.

3. Safin

Safin Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 3, 2019
    I definitely don't agree with his list, but it's always funny and somewhat sobering to watch how honest and brash Floyd Mayweather Jr is.

I might be inclined to agree with him regarding Muhammad Ali's bouts with Ken Norton.

4. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    LOL GTFO PBF

George Crowcroft and Skins like this.
  5. Drago

Drago Member Full Member

Jan 27, 2013
    This was done years ago, but it s still funny to see.

The arguemts against Ali are even more funny. Should he have gone into Light Heavyweight or what? Cruiser didnt exist back then and even for him go under 200 lb (90 kg; 14.2 Stone) would be too much.

But overall this list cements Robinson as the greatest/best ever, because Floyd didnt even mentioned him since SRR is flawless and there is nothing you can use against him.

SRR = P4P GOAT

Deal with it Mr Pretty Boy!

ShovelHook, aaalbert and Robney like this.
  6. ShovelHook

ShovelHook Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    If he pointed out the limitations of Ali's boxing style with the headhunting and the like I'd agree with him. Good rating, poor reasoning as to why. He's right that Ken Norton had him sussed out and probably beat him every time.

7. aaalbert

aaalbert Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Yup. This is pretty old but still, to put himself in first is pretty amusing considering the greats that were before him.

Drago and OvidsExile like this.
  8. daniel263

Nov 23, 2019
    This content is protected

9. Enigmadanks

Enigmadanks Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 5, 2009
    He clearly didn’t watch footage of some of the old all time greats. Everyone he mentioned was from the modern era.

I don’t rate Pernell or Chavez sr in my top 15 let alone top 5. I can see a case for Duran and Ali though in the top 5. His list clearly is bias towards the modern era fighters which is fine. He’s entitled to his opinion.

mark ant and Reinhardt like this.
  10. daniel263

Nov 23, 2019
    why no chavez in top 15? went 89-0. 3 division champ etc

11. juhave

juhave Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2010
    I can agree Ali as number 5 but where is Sugar Ray Robinson?

12. rodney

rodney Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Most of his wins were against cab drivers.

daniel263 likes this.
  13. Enigmadanks

Enigmadanks Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 5, 2009
    His lack of facing top tier competition- especially throughout the 80’s- is a big reason I don’t place him so highly.

He fought really low level competition in Mexico for approximately 45 of his first pro fights, he fought Mayweather twice, beat Laporte and Rosario as well in the 80’s but he took on terrible competition between those title fights in money grab bouts in Mexico.

he didn’t take on top level competition on a more consistent basis until the 90’s so a good chunk of his record in his first 70 plus pro bouts were against men who shouldn’t have been licensed to be in the ring with him. On a side note I rate Whitaker a bit higher than Chávez but he also doesn’t crack my top 15.

In no particular order, I’d easily rate these men above Chávez:
    Charles, Louis, Monzon, Robinson, Ali, Duran, Langford, Benny Leonard, Greb, SRL, Armstrong, Pep, Hagler, Mayweather Jr, Pacquiao, Tunney, Moore.

That’s 17 right there and if I take some time to think about it I could probably finish a top 20 without Chávez in it. Whitaker would be borderline top 20 for me but his biggest wins in his career were against McGirt, Haugen and a faded version of Nelson.

Skills wise, Whitaker is arguably top 5-7 for me though.

daniel263 likes this.
  14. daniel263

Nov 23, 2019
    Thats a great list for top 20. Just curious where would you rank Anthony Joshua, Wilder and Fury all time

15. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Greb, Armstrong, SRR ... and more

Not to mention 5 Star Chicken > Floyd :p

George Crowcroft and OvidsExile like this.