Floyd Mayweather Vs Sugar Ray Leonard who wins prime for prime

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Austinboxing, Jul 11, 2021.

1. META5

META5 Active Member Full Member

Jun 28, 2005
    I think if Floyd fights to survive, he takes a wide points loss. Like Benitez, he can likely box for a while with Ray, but Ray punches sharper, faster and at a higher work rate so I like Ray to win any contest of jabs and right counters.

If Floyd gets too aggressive, the man who took Hearns' best and kept coming is going to give Floyd combinations, power and handspeed that I don't think even Floyd can handle.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  2. Trevor Diamante

Trevor Diamante New Member Full Member

Jun 13, 2021
    Leonard schools Floyd on the outside and somehow loses by MD. One thing I've always thought about Floyd is his greatness was a bit exaggerated by certain lack of skillsets in modern boxers. He wasn't very good against a good jab, but a lot of good jabbers were nonexistent so it didn't pose a problem. He could be hit to the body, but body punching isn't as emphasized so not many took advantage. One thing about Floyd his work rate( another thing I noticed is different in old school fights generally guys aren't as tentative to throw) is solid but not that prolific. At welterweight when he fought SSM he landed about 17 per round. I was watching Palomino recently and noticed even as he's losing badly to Duran, he still tries to put together some combinations. Leonard had experience breaking the shell, and even the DLH fight, Floyd was getting hit and was bloodied by DLH who is more of a "flurry" fighter, than the more finishing combos of a SRL. Roger Mayweather himself didn't even speak of Floyd beating these ATG's in interviews, I think he simply knew. I would've loved a great clash against a Palomino kind of fighter. A seasoned genuine champion vs another.

3. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Ray .. bigger, stronger, faster, harder hitting, equally well conditioned , equally smart .. Floy was a sensational fighter ut his best weights were 130 - 140 ..

Above Deck likes this.
  4. scandcb

scandcb Active Member Full Member

Jun 9, 2020
    Agreed.

He boxed in a very weak era.

5. scandcb

Jun 9, 2020
    It's easier to make adjustments against Maidana and an old ODH than it would be against the likes of Hearns, Duran and indeed Leonard.

Trevor Diamante and RockyJim like this.
  6. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Leonard had fast hands AND a whipping, nasty shot at welterweight. I've never seen Mayweather stopped, so I don't want to go with that. But no matter how much Floyd runs and covers and slips and slides he's going to get hit with some brain-rattling shots.

Leonard by a comfortable UD.

Trevor Diamante and RockyJim like this.
  7. Rope-a-Dope

Rope-a-Dope Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 20, 2015
    What does FMJ do that SRL can't do as well or better? Plus, SRL has more punching power and fought tougher competition. SRL by fairly wide UD.

8. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    Can go either way, but I don't see a KO.
    Mayweather is an incredible boxer, but the De la Hoya fight gets one thinking. De la Hoya was very active and put a lot of pressure on Floyd, despite being past his best.
    Leonard could also do what Oscar did and be very busy and aggresive, roughing up Floyd. However, one must also note that De la Hoya was a southpaw who used an orthodox guard, thus his jabs were far superior to those Leonard could throw.

If I had to bet, I'd take Mayweather on points.

9. White Bomber

Mar 31, 2021
    Jr. is far far better than his dad ever was.

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  10. White Bomber

Mar 31, 2021
    No he isn't above in every category, that's just you day dreaming. Floyd has a far superior defense.

11. White Bomber

Mar 31, 2021
    Very little chance of SRL ever KOing Mayweather.

RockyJim likes this.
  12. White Bomber

Mar 31, 2021
    Floyd will get hit by some, but he'll counter a lot more. Floyd on points like usual.

13. White Bomber

Mar 31, 2021
    FMJ is much better at not getting hit.

14. Rope-a-Dope

Rope-a-Dope Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 20, 2015
    By fighting lesser opponents?

Loudon likes this.
  15. scandcb

Jun 9, 2020
    ODH's jab was not superior to Leonard's.

Leonard would give Mayweather just as many problems with the jab that ODH did, probably even more so.