Floyd Mayweather Vs Sugar Ray Leonard who wins prime for prime

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Austinboxing, Jul 11, 2021.

1. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    If Ray had thought that he was losing a boxing match on points, he’d have put his foot on the pedal and turned the boxing match into a fight like he did against Hearns.

If Ray had fought Floyd aggressively, Floyd would never have engaged him in a shootout. He was mostly a safety first fighter with hand issues at WW.

Floyd with his ‘PBF’ monicker had great offence at the lower weights. A fight against a smaller version of SRL at LW-LWW would have been a dream match up. But Floyd as ‘Money’ just wouldn’t have fought a bigger, stronger and more powerful fighter in SRL. Floyd wasn’t stupid. He’d have known that he couldn’t have won a shootout with Ray at WW. So if Ray had chosen the plan B that he used against Hearns, (assuming that he wouldn’t have fought Floyd aggressive from the outset) Floyd would have shelled up and fought defensively as to not have gotten hurt.

Floyd had a better defence, but Ray had a better offence.

A great defence keeps you from getting hurt and stopped, but you needed a great offence to beat a guy like Leonard, especially if you’d have been smaller than him.

Ray wouldn’t have let Floyd have outboxed him to a decision loss.

Going into the fight, Ray would have had both a plan A and a plan B, whereas Floyd would only ever have had a plan A.

The logical pick would have been Ray, as he just had more in his arsenal.

You then also have to take into account the psychological aspect of things.

Although they were both divas, Ray had more will and confidence, as well as a bigger heart.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    White Bomber and scandcb like this.
  2. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Having stamina is a learned skill idiot. You have to pace yourself or learn the hard way.
    Not going to even bother arguing with you- your another young person who just watches highlights.
    Hearns got STAGGERED from a PUNCH which made him go to the ROPES and he got FINISHED by a barrage of punches while ON the ropes.
    You act like Hearns just fell down from exhaustion and Leonard just won.Funny because I LOVED Hearns and was DEVASTATED when he lost but I knew he lost to the better man that night.
    I actually feel sorry for you as you didn't get to witness the truly great boxers battle in a 15 round fight.
    Your little soft generation would get thier butts handed to them by yesterdays boxers in a 15 round bout.

young griffo likes this.
  3. scandcb

scandcb Active Member Full Member

Jun 9, 2020
    Mayweather would have a few losses on his record if his bouts were contested over 8 rounds.

So your argument actually favours Leonard more than Mayweather.

4. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I cannot think of a single argument for Floyd to win this. The disparity is so great and the way Floyd fights It just won't do him a lot of favours against someone better, bigger and more athletic.

5. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I scored the Leonard-Papa Mayweather fight recently and Ray absolutely knows how to attack and break down the Philly shell.

He’d whup Junior too.

6. Gazelle Punch

Gazelle Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Omg this had to be the most painstaking read of a post I’ve ever seen. Ever. No Floyd would not be blown out no he would not be steamrolled. Would be a real close competitive fight.

Rumsfeld and White Bomber like this.
  7. Balder

Balder Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 10, 2012
    A prime Leonard gets him in trouble by round 2, just like Mosley did. But Ray will continue to land and have Mayweather out of the fight by round 8.
    This is the Prime Leonard , not the runner/ cherry picker version he became after Duran. Ray Leonard's prime was short, but during that period he was a step above in talent over Mayweather.

8. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    15 round bouts suck.
    If Leonard was the better man that night, he would have been up on the cards before the 14th.

9. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    You know he dropped Tommy in the 13th right?

Trevor Diamante likes this.
  10. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I think I prefer Leonard in this one. He has the speed and the ability to really fluster Mayweather.

Trevor Diamante likes this.
  11. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    you are in small minority thinking this would be a close fight

12. White Bomber

Mar 31, 2021
    :risas3:

13. White Bomber

Mar 31, 2021
    Who cares if Mayweather would have losses, that would be on him.
    Anyway, he'll probably fight differently if fights were shorter.

14. White Bomber

Mar 31, 2021
    You do know he won in the 14th, right ?!

15. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    If Floyd fights a defense oriented fight, he will very likely see the finishing line, at least in a 12 rounder. Floyd is a defensive genius and has a solid chin. What you fail to demonstrate is how Floyd can win this fight.

Loudon likes this.