Floyd Mayweather: When Canelo fought me, he was in his prime, I was an old man. I wasn't in my prime

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by xnico, Jun 8, 2021.

1. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    You crazy. He's in the midst of a legendary career. P4P #1. Are you living in the past?

2. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Not imo.

I mean it doesn't really matter anyways, the two could never meet as prime, because LMW is clearly not prime for either man, so we got as close as we ever could have to a "prime meeting" between the two.

3. shadow111

Aug 1, 2012
    It matters because a good amount of people try and argue that Mayweather as an old man beat a Prime Canelo lol. Mayweather who was still in his prime beat a young, inexperienced weight drained Canelo. And it was no picnic for Floyd, despite what his fans would have you believe.

4. shadow111

Aug 1, 2012
    Never in history? Pacquiao had the same # of fights when he fought Morales the first time as Canelo had when he fought Mayweather. Would you consider Pacquiao Prime in Morales 1? Of course not, Pac lost that night to Morales, Pac still had several years to go before he reached his prime.

5. TFP

TFP Member Full Member

Feb 20, 2012
    i don't really agree.

a, crudely speaking, 'speed fighter', which Mayweather certainly was at his best, peaks no later than their mid 20s, generally speaking not the later part thereof. time after time we've seen the same thing with other fast guys, from Ali & Tyson down.

Mayweather's physical peak was probably roundabout the time of his signature 2001 win vs Corrales, aged 23.

the things that made Mayweather so durable, incomparably durable for a speed fighter, were the huge technical advances he made in mid and late-mid career. For the 2013 Canelo fight, aged 36, whilst he probably was at his technical peak, he wasn't anywhere near as fast, and probably not as good all-round, as vs Corrales. His absolute overall peak, taking into account both the physical and technical, was prpbably circa 2005, the time of the Gatti fight - he at that time had probably c95% of his 2001 Corrales fight physical toolkit and c95% of his 2013 Canelo fight technical toolkit.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    pacas and Pimp C like this.
  6. Nonito Smoak

Nonito Smoak Ioka>Lomo, sorry my dudes Full Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Physically yes Canelo was closer to peak human condition. And Canelo was established top quality not some unproven guy on the way up. However it is also true that Canelo became a better boxer after the Floyd fight.

7. Anima

Anima Kinetic Link Full Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Not prime but really close to prime canelo, Floyd was obviously way past his prime.

Floyd's statement is slightly exaggerated but we couldn't really disagree with the message.

Pimp C likes this.
  8. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    How are you closer to your prime at 36?
    Take a look around in all sports are soccer nfl nba track and field athlete's closer to their prime at 36 or 23? No they're not. You're full of **** and will say anything to further your agenda.

rhin0z> likes this.
  9. Pimp C

Jun 23, 2005
    The youtuber who fought to survive after round 3 he held didn't engage and was out in his feet and had to be held up by pbf after that uppercut to prevent from going down. Yeah ok.

10. Pimp C

Jun 23, 2005
    No fighter is prime at 36 there are plenty of fighters who are prime at 23 though. Look around in other sports if you dont believe me. Can a 36 year old Usain bolt outrun a 23 year old one? No! You're closer to your prime at 23 than you're at 36. But Pbf according to his haters was prime for every fight he had in his career.

11. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    This is an absolute myth

Anyone with half a brain knows this wasn't Canelo in his prime.... what we are seeing now 8 years later is Canelo in his prime and even a Stevie Wonder can see he is a completely different beast now.

As for Floyd, he was superb that night... so SO sharp ! In fact it was one of his best ever performances so he was by no means past his best.

12. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    But fans will always claim anything, Canelo fans will claim it was green Canelo vs prime Floyd. Floyd fans will claim it was old Floyd vs prime Canelo.

I don't think there would ever have been a more optimum time for them to have fought in real life though.

13. Pimp C

Jun 23, 2005
    He looked good because he's an elite level atg against a guy he was a stylistic nightmare for. He wasn't prime not close to it, no athlete regardless of sport is prime at 36 but many are prime at 23. Put it like this I'd take the 23 year old pbf to beat the 36 year old one who fought canelo easily.

14. UFC2020

UFC2020 Active Member Full Member

Sep 15, 2019
    What Canelo fans fail to man up to is that Canelo had prepared his whole life for that match with Floyd, he and his team really prepared for the fight, studying every Floyd move, adding it to his arsenal and having different game plans for the fight based on different scenarios and still Floyd was able to adapt on the fly to everything Canelo and his team threw at him and still Canelo fell short. No version of Canelo beats any version of Floyd, period, facts

pacas likes this.
  15. Pimp C

Jun 23, 2005
    Yep Canelo said he was born ready before the fight and he and his brother got tattoos of the fight date on their bodies. They expected it to be a coronation.

rhin0z> and Aussie Invader like this.