Floyd Mayweather: When Canelo fought me, he was in his prime, I was an old man. I wasn't in my prime

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by xnico, Jun 8, 2021.

1. cuchulain

cuchulain VIP Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Usually true.
    23 year old Ali beats 36 year old Ali, and 23 year old Tyson beats 36 year old Tyson.

But 36 year old BHop beats 23 year old BHop.

And 36 year old Lewis beats 23 year old Lewis.

As @Shadow points out, different fighter hit prime at different ages.

ElCyclon likes this.
  2. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    It's all relevant. No fighter is prime at 36. Pbf Duran srl srr I could go on and on. The 23 year old versions of those guys beat and were better than the 36 year old versions. My examples couldn't have been more spot on. Also pbf relied on speed and reflexes which were faded by the time he fought canelo. Pbf also had no legs he was more stationary not because he wanted to be but because he had no choice. PBF's last prime fight was in 2009 against jmm after that fight he declined.

Pbf looked so good against canelo because he's a stylistic nightmare for Canelo and can beat him at his own game. He was clearly past his prime and faded against Canelo.

3. UFC2020

UFC2020 Active Member Full Member

Sep 15, 2019
    Canelo ranks ahead of Pac? Another coping me
    True but doesn't matter with Canelo, he can be in his prime now, he will still lose to the Floyd of 2013. He needs to stop crying and man up to the fact that he failed on the biggest night of his career that he prepared for.

4. 22JM

22JM Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Anyone who knows boxing knows that Canelo has improved HUGE and still gets improving

JOKER and sparta like this.
  5. Pimp C

Jun 23, 2005
    Hopkins is the exception not the rule he got a late start to his career and was a spartan and didn't really rely on athletic ability he was a craftsman.

Pbf at 23 beats the 36 year old pbf.
    Canelo at 23 would beat canelo at 36.

6. sparta

sparta Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Physical prime yes but seeing as though the sport of boxing has a huge mental component and more so than the physical, then a boxers prime can extend up to the age of 40yo.
    Depends on the fighter.

shadow111 likes this.
  7. shadow111

shadow111 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 1, 2012
    I doubt many people would agree with you that Floyd was "faded" against Canelo. Didn't look faded to me. And if he was faded, then it makes it harder to believe that he won that match with ease as you also claim. For him to beat Canelo easily, which nobody else came close to doing, even back then, Mayweather would have to be at his best, which you say he wasn't that night. Your statements conflict with one another.

I know you're not budging from the Mayweather was old but still beat Canelo easily, who was in his prime at 23, train, this just comes off as you exaggerating everything to make Mayweather look better. You don't have to defend what Mayweather says just because he says it. Mayweather has a massive ego and wants to live vicariously through Canelo.

The judges did not agree that Mayweather won easily. The judges had it close, Canelo had plenty of success, even at 23 showed a lot of poise. Mayweather brought his A game, wasn't faded, still had the hand speed and reflexes to deal with Canelo. Mayweather wasn't a stylistic nightmare for Canelo, I know saying that makes you feel better, and you want to brag about this win, but don't be greedy. Canelo presented all kinds of problems for Mayweather, which Mayweather dealt with that night and gave the performance of his life to squeak out a victory.

8. shadow111

Aug 1, 2012
    A Super Featherweight would beat a Light Middleweight?

9. Pimp C

Jun 23, 2005
    If they were the same weight hypothetically.

10. shadow111

Aug 1, 2012
    OK but in the real world, 36 year old LMW Floyd easily beats 23 year old SFW Floyd, right? All that experience and size would be a big factor.

11. Pimp C

Jun 23, 2005
    If they were both the same size one 36 one 23 the younger version would beat the older one.

Alo2006 likes this.
  12. sparta

sparta Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Kostya tszyu was once asked this question who wins between a 35 & 25 version of himself, he said the 35 yo version every time. Physical prime starts to drop off slowly after 32 yo, but the mental side can more than make up for the slide for another 5 years or so, this is fighter dependant. Floyds just full of ****.

13. Pimp C

Jun 23, 2005
    He did looked faded where was his lateral movement against a man who dwarfed him in the ring. A prime pbf would've danced around canelo all night long. Like I said earlier pbf was a stylistic nightmare for him because canelo is a defensive counter puncher at his soul. He's not going to beat a better defensive counter puncher at his own game. I dont care about the judges the judge who scored that fight a draw was paid off and was run out if the sport. Canelo has been accused of having favorable scoring in his fights. Your point about the judges doesn't help your argument it actually hurts it.

14. Pimp C

Jun 23, 2005
    You mean the same 35 year old version who quit on his stool against Hatton?? So much for mental toughness with age, he's just full of ****. The 23 year old version of Kostya makes the 35 year old version quit.

15. shadow111

Aug 1, 2012
    Those who accuse Canelo of having favorable scoring DKSAB. People who say that think Canelo GGG 1 was a robbery. But you know better. Winning easily is what Mayweather did to Marquez when he won every round. Winning easily is what Mayweather did to Mosley after the scare in the 2nd round. You can't compare those performance to what happened vs Canelo. Vs Canelo Mayweather was in a much tighter contest. He dealt with Canelo accordingly and did what he had to do to get the win, but you like most fans continue to exaggerate that win.

The difference with you, is aside from the Mayweather fight, you see through the anti-Canelo BS and you score his matches fairly. But when it comes to the Floyd bout, you're just not giving Canelo any credit whatsoever. Rounds 1-4, 6, 9, 10, and 12 were extremely tight, but you giving most of those rounds to your boy is no surprise.

As it pertains to the lateral movement vs Canelo, Mayweather at times still showed good movement and footwork. Obviously 36 year old legs are not 23 year old legs, that's pretty much the only aspect of Floyd's game that was better at 23 than at 36, the ability to dance for long periods of time. You discount experience and how much more accurate and calculated of a puncher he became as he got older. And we're seeing the same kind of thing with Canelo. But against Canelo, Floyd still showed he could move around and get out of dodge quickly when he had too. He used a good amount of lateral movement and footwork vs Pacquiao as well. In between those performances he did not show as much lateral movement against Maidana.

Need I remind you that for years before he fought GGG, people said Canelo had flat feet and were shocked at how much lateral movement he gave GGG in that first fight. Then in the rematch he chose to stay in the pocket. Canelo chose to stand in front of GGG more in the rematch, as Floyd chose to do vs Canelo. These were largely strategy decisions. Ali was still very capable of using consistent lateral motion even late in his career when he was faded, but against Foreman when everyone expected him to use he feet, he surprised everyone and came right at George early on, then went back to the ropes.

Mayweather's decision to fight Canelo in the pocket for much of the fight was an intelligent strategy because had he boxed and used his footwork more and gave Canelo a lot of lateral motion, it would have looked a lot like how Lara fought Canelo and Floyd wouldn't have been able to step into his punches, and he would have been accused of running away from Canelo as Lara was. Floyd mixed it up by standing toe to toe then using footwork in spurts, which was a good strategy. As I said earlier, the difference between Canelo then and now is his counter punching ability and his ability to use head movement to slip the jab. Canelo's main problem vs Floyd was that he got hit with too many jabs. The jabs were the key to Floyd's victory, you know that, I know that, but when it came to power punching, it was very even. When it came to body punching, Canelo landed a lot on Floyd and many of those jabs and straight to the body were well placed shots between the guard.

Pimp you can be proud of Floyd's performance vs Canelo and of that win, but you can also admit that it was a chess match and Canelo did have a good amount success vs Mayweather. Not enough to win, but enough to make that a highly entertaining chess match for most of the bout.