Floyd Patterson against the winter sports... (Brutal)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Marvelous Mauler, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Marvelous Mauler

Marvelous Mauler New Member Full Member

Aug 24, 2021
    Just happened to stumble upon this clip on youtube and it really gave me a good laugh. Patterson showed his enormous heart once again by rising up from the snow over and over again though :risas3:. He truly seems like a genuine and likeable guy.
    This content is protected

2. kaapa2

kaapa2 Photo believed to be Col. W.E. Kurtz... Full Member

Aug 5, 2021
    Surely the widely recognised "Greatest of All Time" Ingemar Johansson would have won the trilogy with Floyd in the winter sports. Also, as I'm talking about boxers competing in other sports, who would have won in golf: Joe Louis or Canelo Alvarez? Surely the modern nutrition and training techniques would play a huge part in this legendary battle for the ages...

3. cross_trainer

cross_trainer Liston was good, but no "Tire Iron" Jones Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    He really didn't ever give up, that guy.

Marvelous Mauler likes this.
  4. JWSoats

JWSoats Active Member Full Member

Apr 26, 2011
    I can truly empathize with him. I remember my first time on skis - even after taking a lesson on my first day, I was doing OK until at the end of the day I was tired and went back for one more run down the mountain. Big mistake! Being so tired, my body would not respond to what I wanted to do. I couldn't slow down or stop so I just fell down. I was sliding so fast and my arm raked over the top of a snow fence protruding through the snow. I expected to see blood all over, but to my great surprise, the arm of the ski jacket, and the sweater underneath were totally ripped out with my bare arm exposed, but not a scratch! Somebody was watching over me! And I learned an important lesson - when you are tired, call it quits for the day, for that's when you are most likely to get hurt.

Great video - thanks for sharing!

Entaowed, Marvelous Mauler and Pugguy like this.
  5. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Great anecdote.

JWSoats likes this.
  6. Pugguy

Pugguy Ingo, The Thinking Man’s GOAT Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    I just read that the 4 man Jamaican Bobsled team will be making a return to the upcoming Winter Olympics after a 20 + year hiatus. I know who I’ll be rooting for. :)

Clinton, JWSoats and Marvelous Mauler like this.
  7. Mark Dunham

Mark Dunham Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2021
    He can be excused for it since he was never trained in skiing

8. JWSoats

JWSoats Active Member Full Member

Apr 26, 2011
    I notice that Floyd Patterson is on cross country skis in this clip. In my younger day I was fairly good at downhill skiing, but when I tried cross-country that was an entirely different experience! Cross-country skis are thinner and lighter, making for a less stable base, especially if you are going downhill. Conversely, going uphill on those type of skis is much easier, and a lot of fun. But going downhill, I found myself falling to one side or the other a lot more than I would have preferred! So if Patterson was a beginner on cross-country skis, he wasn't that bad!

Marvelous Mauler, kaapa2 and Pugguy like this.
  9. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Spider Sabich > Floyd Patterson.

But Floyd would fight ‘em til hell froze over … then fight ‘em on the ice.

Marvelous Mauler likes this.