Floyd Patterson vs Andy Ruiz

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Jun 4, 2019.

1. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Could Patterson take the bigger man or is the bigger man too much???

2. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I am not in favor of the logic that says "this underdog beat this top fighter, so he probably beats a heap of other top fighters."

Joshua lost to Ruiz, and that is his problem, not anybody else's.

Patterson would be able to best Ruiz in the one attribute that is most important to his success, namely hand speed.

Joshua fought s stupid fight, and if Patterson fights a smart one, he probably wins.

3. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    I don't think Ruiz winning is totally impossible, but I don't think it'd be at all likely, not from what we've seen so far.

Ruiz has good speed and bit of range and size which could cause Patterson some problems. His power is nothing special though, and I imagine his slow feet will cause a lot of problems.

A decent chance of making Patterson taste the canvas, but he done that plenty of times, and always got up, often to win.

4. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    80lb weight advantage i scary.

Yes, I know Ruiz is fat.

Either you figure Ruiz is pretty inept or you think Floyd can box and move for twelve and win 8 (because he may go down on a couple of occasions). It's a difficult shout because Floyd is so clearly the superior fighter.

I'll pick Floyd but i'm not happy about it.

5. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Ruiz, Jr "Mr. Snickers", could easily show up at Butterbeanweight….if all the TV shows &
    banquets go to his head (& gut).

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  6. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I've got Ruiz dropping Floyd very early on but he regroup s , works steady, takes him in to the latter round s , then moves in with swift hard hooks that put him on ***** St .

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  7. Golden_Feather99

Golden_Feather99 Active Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2019
    People underestimate the fat. When you punch, you put your weight behind it. Whether it's fat or muscle, it won't make a difference. With proper technique and leverage, your weight will follow the punch. 1 lbs of fat = 1 lbs of muscle. Difference is density. Fat takes up more space. People tend to ignore Ruiz's weight because a lot of it is fat. But it's still mass. Ruiz weighs over 260 lbs and he has good handspeed. Floyd is obviously much better than Ruiz but size matters. Ruiz will be able to take Patterson's shots but I don't think Patterson could take Ruiz's. I gotta go with Ruiz because this is a mismatch. Floyd was more of a light-heavyweight.

rinsj likes this.
  8. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    So why are boxing trainers not encouraging their prospects to get as fat as possible?

reznick and SHADAPBLAD like this.
  9. Jackomano

Jackomano Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Need to see Ruiz against other top fighters before picking him over Floyd Patterson.

10. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
    Maybe they are.

It would explain a lot.

SHADAPBLAD and louis54 like this.
  11. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Make it stop.

BlackCloud, JC40 and SHADAPBLAD like this.
  12. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Ruiz would be too powerful for Floyd, he has quicker hands than Liston and would knock any cruiserweight fighting today except Usyk whi is bigger than Paterson was, Ruiz got off the floor and caught AJ he could do the same to Floyd.

13. Golden_Feather99

Golden_Feather99 Active Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2019
    Is that a serious question? No one should get fat if they aren't fat. When you're obese for a long period, your body adapts. Your heart undergoes structural changes because there's an increased demand for oxygen in obese people. Your total blood volume increases, size of ventricles increases, cardiac output increases, and so does your blood pressure. Your heart is working harder all the time, even when you're resting. Obese people are at a higher risk of getting heart disease, arthritis, diabetes, high blood pressure etc.

Imagine you're a runner and I put a 10 lbs weight vest on you. You will be slower and you'll get tired faster. Over time, your body will adapt to that weight. You might not be as fast as you were or have the same cardio but you'll improve with time. Now, imagine you had this vest on since you were a kid. It won't bother you when you're an adult. Ruiz turned pro at the age of 19. Wanna know how much he weighed for his debut? 297½ lbs. I highly doubt his weight bothers him. If it did, he wouldn't be competing at this level.

You're assuming anyone can get fat and fight like Andy. How many morbidly obese men have the speed he has? How many have the cardio he has? Being fat isn't an advantage. You have to work harder to get the same results as a normal person. But if you want to stay fat and box, it's really up to you.

A few days back, everyone was acting like size doesn't matter because Ruiz beat Joshua. Everyone looked at his height and ignored his weight. Ruiz was heavier than Joshua. Just because it's fat, it doesn't mean we ignore it. Take James Toney for example. He was 5'10 and weighed 235 lbs at heavyweight. Do you think the super middleweight or light HW version of James Toney could've competed against Holyfield, Rahman, Ruiz, Peter?

Ruiz is fat. He shouldn't be as quick as he is and he shouldn't have the cardio he has. But he does. Not everyone with that physique could become the heavyweight champ. It's highly unlikely to be honest. Ruiz is a gifted athlete.

14. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    If that weight advantage exists in a fight after the 70's of course.
    Before then it doesn't matter if the opponent is 80lb bigger in muscle, fat, or both.
    The big guy is harmless.

15. BitPlayerVesti

Oct 28, 2017
    So can we start giving Bob Fitzsimmons credit for KOing Ed Dunkhorst now?